XP re-activation

I received an OEM Windows XP CD with my old PC. It's a Generic Microsoft
holographic CD (ie not from a particular make of PC).

If I installed Windows on a PC and used that PC's product key from the COA
sticker, would it activate over the internet without needing me to make a
phone call to MS?

Once an OEM version of Windows XP is installed and
activated, it cannot be reinstalled nor reactivated on a
different PC in the future. The OEM license is forever
tied to the very first PC it was installed and activated on.

Only a "Retail Version" of Windows XP may be transferred
to a different PC in the future.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Brian Wescombe" wrote:

| I received an OEM Windows XP CD with my old PC. It's a Generic Microsoft
| holographic CD (ie not from a particular make of PC).
|
| If I installed Windows on a PC and used that PC's product key from the COA
| sticker, would it activate over the internet without needing me to make a
| phone call to MS?

In news:3XH%d.1658$fr.652@newsfe5-gui.ntli.net,
Brian Wescombe <brian.wescombeSODOFF@ntlworldSPAM.com> respectfully replied
;-)
> I received an OEM Windows XP CD with my old PC. It's a Generic
> Microsoft holographic CD (ie not from a particular make of PC).
>
> If I installed Windows on a PC and used that PC's product key from
> the COA sticker, would it activate over the internet without needing
> me to make a phone call to MS?

Actually that would guarantee a phone call activation.

--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

> Once an OEM version of Windows XP is installed and
> activated, it cannot be reinstalled nor reactivated on a
> different PC in the future. The OEM license is forever
> tied to the very first PC it was installed and activated on.

Perhaps I didn't make sense. I no longer have the PC (say Computer A) that I
got the CD with. Could I use the disc with the COA from another PC (Computer
B) ?
(Ie would it re-install on my girlfriend's PC with her COA key - Windows
came pre-installed on her machine) ?

Brian Wescombe wrote:

> Perhaps I didn't make sense. I no longer have the PC (say Computer A) that I
> got the CD with. Could I use the disc with the COA from another PC (Computer
> B) ?
> (Ie would it re-install on my girlfriend's PC with her COA key - Windows
> came pre-installed on her machine) ?

In this limited situation, you should be OK. After all, it's the
Product Key - and not the CD - that represents the license. What you're
doing would be technically no different than using a backup copy of your
girl friend's original CD. You're still using her license, by using her
Product Key.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: