Here is my issue. In Win XP Home I recd an error "Windows
XP could not start because the following file is missing
or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system"

I followed the instructions (destructions) in the MS
knowledge base article 307545 on how to recover. I logged
into recovery console and followed the instructions
in "Part one" of the article (backing up of the supposedly
corrupt files, and replacing them with files from
c:\windows\repair....

the problem is when I go to the next step in the article,
the system gives me an error box titled "lsass.exe"
saying "when trying to validate a password, the return
status indicates that the value provided as the current
password is not correct" -- the computer then restarts,
and gets stuck in an endless loop of this error message
and restarting.

OK so I use my XP CD to go back to recovery console to put
back the files I backed up in step one of the article --
but now using the files from this windows repair folder,
the recovery console now asks me for a password. There
wasn't one when I logged into the recovery console in step
one -- and I never set one on the machine. How do I move
forward ???? There is some sort of embedded Microsoft
password.... and Microsoft Support will not help you with
password issues whatsover.

Please help anyone -- I am trying to get files off this
machine worth 140 man hours.... and my sanity..... please
help.... I need this phantom password....

map

"J Crego" wrote:

> Here is my issue. In Win XP Home I recd an error "Windows
> XP could not start because the following file is missing
> or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system"
>
> I followed the instructions (destructions) in the MS
> knowledge base article 307545 on how to recover. I logged
> into recovery console and followed the instructions
> in "Part one" of the article (backing up of the supposedly
> corrupt files, and replacing them with files from
> c:\windows\repair....
>
> the problem is when I go to the next step in the article,
> the system gives me an error box titled "lsass.exe"
> saying "when trying to validate a password, the return
> status indicates that the value provided as the current
> password is not correct" -- the computer then restarts,
> and gets stuck in an endless loop of this error message
> and restarting.
>
> OK so I use my XP CD to go back to recovery console to put
> back the files I backed up in step one of the article --
> but now using the files from this windows repair folder,
> the recovery console now asks me for a password. There
> wasn't one when I logged into the recovery console in step
> one -- and I never set one on the machine. How do I move
> forward ???? There is some sort of embedded Microsoft
> password.... and Microsoft Support will not help you with
> password issues whatsover.
>
> Please help anyone -- I am trying to get files off this
> machine worth 140 man hours.... and my sanity..... please
> help.... I need this phantom password....

The password that it is looking for is the one the mfg installed "OEM version"
instaed of doing a repair follow the instructions here.

If you can boot into safe mode you might try this with regedit.

Recovery Console Password
On many XP installations you can't start the Recovery Console because it
won't recognize your password. This registry edit causes the Recovery Console
not to ask for a password. This works for both XP Home and XP Professional.

Start | Run | Regedit
Navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Setup\RecoveryConsole
Set the DWORD SecurityLevel value to 1
Exit Registry and Reboot

Thanks to Bob W for sending me this registry edit.