ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

Hi,
PC will not boot into any mode, SAFE, SAFE w/networking, Last Known, etc.
Does anyone have a clue as another option available?

If not that, I tried to use XP cd to repair installation and after pressing
R for repair and 1 for C:\windows directory, I am asked to enter an
administrator password. I've tried every password known to me and none of
them work. Does anyone know if there is a default password I should be using?
I've never been asked for a password, that I can remember, when running
repair.

Thanks in advance.
KenP

Ken,
You are on the wrong screen. Insert and boot from the winXP CD, follow
the first prompt and click on install Windows; on the second screen you will
get an option to repair a Windows installation.

Ken wrote:
> Hi,
> PC will not boot into any mode, SAFE, SAFE w/networking, Last Known, etc.
> Does anyone have a clue as another option available?
>
> If not that, I tried to use XP cd to repair installation and after pressing
> R for repair and 1 for C:\windows directory, I am asked to enter an
> administrator password. I've tried every password known to me and none of
> them work. Does anyone know if there is a default password I should be using?
> I've never been asked for a password, that I can remember, when running
> repair.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> KenP

The password being requested is that of the built-in
_Administrator_ account, not the password for any other administrative
user accounts that the computer's owner may have created. Unless the
owner deliberately set the Administrator's password via the Management
Console (_not_ the Control Panel), it's probably still blank. WinXP
Pro asks the installer to set the Administrator's password during
installation, but WinXP Home doesn't.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

It sounds like you are trying to access the Recovery Console not do a repair
install.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341

--
A Professional Amatuer...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
"Ken" <Ken@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> PC will not boot into any mode, SAFE, SAFE w/networking, Last Known, etc.
> Does anyone have a clue as another option available?
>
> If not that, I tried to use XP cd to repair installation and after
> pressing
> R for repair and 1 for C:\windows directory, I am asked to enter an
> administrator password. I've tried every password known to me and none of
> them work. Does anyone know if there is a default password I should be
> using?
> I've never been asked for a password, that I can remember, when running
> repair.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> KenP

There is no "default" password.

It is the password that was assigned to the account "administrator" when the
machine was first installed(unless you have changed it since then).

Is this a manufacturer built PC(dell, compaq, etc), a custom built(crazy
harry's computer shack), or a PC provided by your work?

--
Manny Borges
MCSE NT4-2003 (+ Security)

The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with.
-- Marty Feldman
"Ken" <Ken@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> PC will not boot into any mode, SAFE, SAFE w/networking, Last Known, etc.
> Does anyone have a clue as another option available?
>
> If not that, I tried to use XP cd to repair installation and after
> pressing
> R for repair and 1 for C:\windows directory, I am asked to enter an
> administrator password. I've tried every password known to me and none of
> them work. Does anyone know if there is a default password I should be
> using?
> I've never been asked for a password, that I can remember, when running
> repair.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> KenP

Have you tried to just hit enter and leave that password request blank ?
"Ken" <Ken@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
12E7C8E6-53B4-4697-B1CD-DEFD3AB31232@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
> PC will not boot into any mode, SAFE, SAFE w/networking, Last Known, etc.
> Does anyone have a clue as another option available?
>
> If not that, I tried to use XP cd to repair installation and after
> pressing
> R for repair and 1 for C:\windows directory, I am asked to enter an
> administrator password. I've tried every password known to me and none of
> them work. Does anyone know if there is a default password I should be
> using?
> I've never been asked for a password, that I can remember, when running
> repair.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> KenP

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You could try admin

"Ken" <Ken@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> PC will not boot into any mode, SAFE, SAFE w/networking, Last Known, etc.
> Does anyone have a clue as another option available?
>
> If not that, I tried to use XP cd to repair installation and after
pressing
> R for repair and 1 for C:\windows directory, I am asked to enter an
> administrator password. I've tried every password known to me and none of
> them work. Does anyone know if there is a default password I should be
using?
> I've never been asked for a password, that I can remember, when running
> repair.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> KenP

ken