XP restarts automatically on startup, before, during, or j..

Hi,

My XP machine has been restarting automatically around the time that
it reaches the login screen during startup. If I wait about 10
seconds, it spontaneously reboots. I can quickly login, but the same
thing happens immediately after it reaches the desktop. Basically, it
will not allow me access.

I've read that it may be a response to a blue screen, and, in fact, I
have seen one (only once!) , though I don't recall what it says. I've
also read about how to turn-off automatic blue screen restart, but it
restarts before I can access those settings.

I've tried booting from the Ultimate Boot CD v2.4 and scanning for
viruses, but none are found. I think somewhere my NTFS file system is
corrupt (based on a file system scanning utility) but I don't know if
that is related, especially because the corruption seems to be in an
obscure folder.

I've tried getting into XP safe mode, but I'm not sure if I'm doing it
correctly. Pressing F8 during startup only gets me a boot device menu.
(By the way, I have an ASUS P4C800 motherboard, if that's relevant)
How should I go about this?

Should I try something with my Windows XP CD-ROM?

Thanks for any help or insight you can provide. I am constantly amazed
by all of your guys' collective knowledge and willingness to share it.

RG

I had this same problem last night and almost tore my
hair out because I couldn't access Windows! I too have an
Asus motherboard, (I don't think this was my problem
though). I couldn't get to the XP safe mode, it always
brought me to the boot device too.

BUT I learned that if you wait a little longer during
reboot, then press F8 again, safe mode then comes up. I
went in and deleted a program that I had installed which
I thought might have contributed to the problem, then I
went to the Performance and Maintenance section and did a
system restore and restored my computer to an earlier
time. I then rebooted my computer and prayed. It worked!

After some searching this morning, I found that you can
go to the Settings/Control Panel/Performance and
Maintenance/System/Advanced/Startup and Recovery/Settings
and uncheck (automatically restart) in System Failure.
This will at least enable you to stay in Windows to find
any problems in the future.

I hope this helped you in some way.

Mawood

gf

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

A system file probably is corrupt.

Try a repair, by reinstalling XP. It will work.

But do not select Repair, the first time it asks.

Keep going. Chose Install. Then you will
have to choose between Repair (or Update) and
Install.

Choose to update.

"R. G." <rkg22@hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
914b0ae5.0410041838.977aed@posting.google.com...
> Hi,
>
> My XP machine has been restarting automatically around the time that
> it reaches the login screen during startup. If I wait about 10
> seconds, it spontaneously reboots. I can quickly login, but the same
> thing happens immediately after it reaches the desktop. Basically, it
> will not allow me access.
>
> I've read that it may be a response to a blue screen, and, in fact, I
> have seen one (only once!) , though I don't recall what it says. I've
> also read about how to turn-off automatic blue screen restart, but it
> restarts before I can access those settings.
>
> I've tried booting from the Ultimate Boot CD v2.4 and scanning for
> viruses, but none are found. I think somewhere my NTFS file system is
> corrupt (based on a file system scanning utility) but I don't know if
> that is related, especially because the corruption seems to be in an
> obscure folder.
>
> I've tried getting into XP safe mode, but I'm not sure if I'm doing it
> correctly. Pressing F8 during startup only gets me a boot device menu.
> (By the way, I have an ASUS P4C800 motherboard, if that's relevant)
> How should I go about this?
>
> Should I try something with my Windows XP CD-ROM?
>
> Thanks for any help or insight you can provide. I am constantly amazed
> by all of your guys' collective knowledge and willingness to share it.
>
> RG

And then you will need to reinstall all your Windows
Updates, do SP2 from a CD if you have one so you don't have
to go on-line. If you do need to go on-line to get the
updates, be sure you have a firewall turned ON.

"GF" <x@noone.com> wrote in message
|A system file probably is corrupt.
|
| Try a repair, by reinstalling XP. It will work.
|
| But do not select Repair, the first time it asks.
|
| Keep going. Chose Install. Then you will
| have to choose between Repair (or Update) and
| Install.
|
| Choose to update.
|

| "R. G." <rkg22@hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de
| 914b0ae5.0410041838.977aed@posting.google.com...
| > Hi,
| >
| > My XP machine has been restarting automatically around
the time that
| > it reaches the login screen during startup. If I wait
about 10
| > seconds, it spontaneously reboots. I can quickly login,
but the same
| > thing happens immediately after it reaches the desktop.
Basically, it
| > will not allow me access.
| >
| > I've read that it may be a response to a blue screen,
and, in fact, I
| > have seen one (only once!) , though I don't recall what
it says. I've
| > also read about how to turn-off automatic blue screen
restart, but it
| > restarts before I can access those settings.
| >
| > I've tried booting from the Ultimate Boot CD v2.4 and
scanning for
| > viruses, but none are found. I think somewhere my NTFS
file system is
| > corrupt (based on a file system scanning utility) but I
don't know if
| > that is related, especially because the corruption seems
to be in an
| > obscure folder.
| >
| > I've tried getting into XP safe mode, but I'm not sure
if I'm doing it
| > correctly. Pressing F8 during startup only gets me a
boot device menu.
| > (By the way, I have an ASUS P4C800 motherboard, if
that's relevant)
| > How should I go about this?
| >
| > Should I try something with my Windows XP CD-ROM?
| >
| > Thanks for any help or insight you can provide. I am
constantly amazed
| > by all of your guys' collective knowledge and
willingness to share it.

| > RG

Sammy142

Honorable