XP SATA driver for GA-X58A-UDR3

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ompblus

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
Hello,

I'm trying to install a new comp with a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UDR3 motherboard and an Intel i7-930 processor.
Can't find the right SATA Txtsetup.oem file XP is asking during the install, so the install fails.
Can anuone help?
Thanks.

ompblus

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010

this is true indeed... I already built it from scratch buying all composants separatly... anyway...
Ok guys, I now have an XP-SP3 CD I did with NLite... it's going farther but still I get the same 0x0000007E error (without the pci.sys message now). What I also did is to plug an IDE drive instead of a SATA.
Now I have a few questions:
The drive is formatted NTFS with sectors of 1024... could that be an issue?
Also I've got a e-SATA connector on the front panel... is it important on which SATA connector I connect it or any is a good one?

What external SATA device are you trying to connect to the eSATA ports that are on the JMicron JMB362 controller chip?

Your PATA IDE drive is connected to the GIGABYTE SATA2 controller. I don't know if you slipstreamed the driver for that controller into your Windows XP set CD.

Did the 0x0000007E error still happen with Windows XP SP3 without your PATA IDE drive attached and only a SATA HDD connected to any one of the SATA2_0 to SATA2_5 ports?

ompblus

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010

Bill

Mobo is Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R rev1.0 - Proc is intel i7-930 2.80 Ghz - Ram is Corsair DDR3 240 pins model XMS3 @1600Mhz 4x2Go - 1 floppy - 1 DVD burner NEC on IDE port as slave - 1 HD Seagate Barracuda ATA 80Go on IDE Port as Master formatted as NTFS partitions of 1024... that's all for now...

I have 4x400Go IDE + 1x2To SATA disks + another DVD burner to add, but I wanna do it step by step.

Thanks for SO much info.. tried it...din't work... didn't even boot anymore :eek:)... so I cleared the CMOS... went into the BIOS and loaded the optimal parameters as you initially recommended (why didn't I started with that one actually... was too obvious maybe!!)... retarted and MIRACLE... the NLite XP-SP3 is installing... OK one problem solved!! thanks to all of you guys .

Now, on which SATA port should I plug the external e-sata plug I have on the Cooler Master case???
When i want to plug the other IED drives (I have IDE to SATA adaptors), should I use a certain order like SATA-0 first, SATA-1 second...

I'm also gonna need your help to set a RAID...a lot of fun in perspertive... :eek:)

"Now, on which SATA port should I plug the external e-sata plug I have on the Cooler Master case???"

You only have a choice of one of the 2 x eSATA 3Gb/s connectors (eSATA/USB Combo) on the back panel. Look at an eSATA connector and a standard SATA connector they aren't the same. The electrical specifications, connectors, and cabling are different for each type.

ompblus

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010

Let me re-phrase: the front plug on the Cooler Master case is an e-sata however the cable to be plugged inside is a regilar SATA one... so is there a preference to plug that cable on one of the 10 SATA plugs there are on the mobo?

You guys must be on the West coast. "For myself" I did the following. The only possible "wrong answer" is if I placed a primary SATA 2 on anything except SATA2_0 or a primary SATA3 on anything except GSATA3_6.

SATA2_0 - SSD {Primary}
SATA2_1 - blank {possible future SSD ~ RAID 0 Primary}
SATA2_2 - HDD {pair 1 RAID 1}
SATA2_3 - HDD {pair 2 RAID 1}
SATA2_4 - DVD 1
SATA2_5 - blank {possible future DVD 2}
GSATA3_6 - blank {possible future SSD}
GSATA3_7 - blank {possible future SSD}
GSATA2_8 - eSATA {X-Dock/HDD dock}
GSATA2_9 - eSATA {top plug}

Where are you now??

P.S. Yeah, I know you "can" play musical ports and SATA 2 <=> SATA 3...

@ompblus - If I knew you had a Floppy I wouldn't have suggested nLite.

Also, when "I build" I don't hook-up EVERYTHING all at once, instead I hook-up a bare bones first - get running - then progressively ADD components. (e.g. 1. R/O bad components, 2. Drive letters ~ USB Media Readers, etc)

ompblus

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010

I'm in Chicago but I'm a late bird ;o)
Thanks for the SATA ports details.
I don like you, step by step.
right now finishing to install XP and the CD mobo.
I have an issue with the GOM... Gigabyte Online Manager: it asks to install another program first... SMTP... do you have any clue what that is?... couldn't find anything on the Gigabite website...
Thanks.

ompblus

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010

Xp installed, mobo CD installed (having this issue with GOM asking for another pgm to be installed first but that's all)
In the process of downloading all updates for XP, Office and the mobo...
HD still plugged on the IDE port right now.
Ok so I believe I should then:
1) Plug my HD on the SATA2_0 as it is the primary with the OS
2) Plug the case external e-SATA connector onto the GSATA_9
Can you confirm??
Then I'll add my second DVD burner on the free IDE plug (both my DVD burners are IDE and I'd rather keep the SATA ports for HD)
Then I'll have 4 x 400Go + 1 x 2To HD to plug...

bilbat

Splendid
I, flat-out, will not install any GB 'utility programs'! They have a ham-handed propensity to scribble components into ring zero, that are often tremendously difficult, if not just impossible to remove... Trust me - you really don't need to be able to read your board's temps and fan speeds from your office desk at work!

and:

I don like him either, step by step! [:bilbat:9] [:jaydeejohn:4] [:bilbat:9] [:jaydeejohn:4] [:bilbat:9] [:jaydeejohn:4]

ompblus

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010

happy I make you laugh!! sorry for my bad english sometimes... it is not my mothertong...
Ok won't install the GB utilities thought...
in the process of doing the Windows updates...

ompblus

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010

Ok, unplugged the installed HD from the IDE port and plugged ot onto the SATA2_0 using an IDE to SATA adaptor. Now I have an error message saying NO GRLDR.
Thanks for your help...

My recomendation assumed you had a SATA HDD... You shouldn't simply UNPLUG and MOVE your PRIMARY after OS is installed, doing so corrupts your Boot Loader file...! I do not know anything about IDE -> SATA2 adapters ; a NEW SATA II drive is cheap at $60. Run an F8 Syetem Repair.

link - http://www.spicygreeniguana.com/system-user-interface/126249-no-grldr-error-message-while-starting-xp.html

soft & fuzzy version; sorry.

bilbat

Splendid
Woah! Looked at that link - now I know how Alice felt when she fell down the rabbit hole!

Your English is fine! I speak a bit of a few languages, and I'm lucky if I can ask where the bathroom is successfully! :heink:

Am trying to learn Mandarin, and think I may be five years from learning where that bathroom is at [:bilbat:2]

Was I harsh? I was very surprised when "Floppy" was mentioned in several places and OP didn't mention they had one. (I'll tone it down).

I don't see the point of purchasing an IDE adapter for the UD3R when it already has one and any {translation IDE <-> SATA} I would easily assume is slower.

I link when there are better sources; I've heard of the error but never solved it.

The "key" from the link:
1. C FIXMBR:
2. FIXED BOAT C:
3. COPY x:\I386\NTLDR C:\
4. COPY x:\I386\NTDETECT.COM C:\

bilbat

Splendid
Nahhh - just the post reminded me: "All mimsy were the borogoves, and the mome raths outgrabe!"

"There everybody gives it mixes treffer"?
"I would want him completely weghaben"??
German, maybe? I'm still ticked at my grandparents - were German, and would never speak it around the grandchildren - like a lot of earlier immigrants, they felt 'the kids' should speak English. Could have learned German at the same time, while still young enough to 'soak it up' easily, 'for free'! To this day, all I know is to swear a blue streak - when grandpa would hit his thumb with the hammer, or burn himself welding, then we'd learn a few choice words! Oh, and I'll still sometimes say "make out the light", or "make shut the door", or an occasional guttural "achh!"

If you've moved a volume, the likely problem is that the contents of 'boot.ini' are no longer relevant - the 'pointers' get scrambled - not that it's corrupted, they're just 'ponting to the wrong place'! Might want to give this a read...

ompblus

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010

1) I want to connect the external e-SATA port which is on the Cooler Master front panel of the case on the mobo. The other end of the cable to be connected is a normal SATA connector. So on which SATA port should I connect it? Any one is a good one?
2) No more 0x0000007E error, I manager to install XP onto the IDE HD plugging it on the IDE cable. I want to plug it on the SATA2-0 port using an IDE to SATA adaptor but when I boot I get a NO GRLDR error message.
However I didn't try to install XP having the drive directly connected to a SATA port... I can try that...

bilbat

Splendid
Still need a list eqivalent to the one that jaquith posted - what, exactly, is connected to what. Only issue with your front panel eSATA is that, for it to support 'hot-plug' (in other words, you plug in a drive, and it's 'discovered' and connected immediately - without having to do a reboot), you want to enable AHCI for that controller...

Also, help if you'd post manufacturer and part number of your IDE/SATA convertor - seem to be a number of ways of doing this, and some appear to have problems with Xp, in particular...

ompblus

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010

thanks for the AHCI info.
Seems the IDE/SATA adaptor I'm using short-circuits... gona have to try with another one before to go any farther...

Either SYBA or Vantec will cause problems ; don't use any "Converters"..

Connect to your IDE to IDE or spend $40 extra (~$60 total) ($20 converter ~ RMA it) and get a SATA II HDD/7200 RPM/32 MB+ Cache.

It "seems" silly w/{new comp with a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UDR3 motherboard and an Intel i7-930 processor}

:bounce: BTW - "IF" you get a new HDD then Disconnect the old IDE completely then install a fresh copy of your XP or whatever OS you use.

ompblus

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010

I actually tried vantec and it works fine... almost all installed now.... "reorganizing" my HDs.
I have an issue with the RAM speed being @ 1066Mhz instead of 1600Mhz.
Can someone help me with the Bios setting to solve that one?

bilbat

Splendid
I have most of what I need to give you a RAM cofiguration/mild OC parameter set/procedure:
Mobo is Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R rev1.0 - Proc is intel i7-930 2.80 Ghz - Ram is Corsair DDR3 240 pins model XMS3 @1600Mhz 4x2Go
One question remains - do you have aftermarket CPU cooling, or are you using the stock Intel?

TRENDING THREADS