XP SATA driver for GA-X58A-UDR3

ompblus

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
Hello,

I'm trying to install a new comp with a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UDR3 motherboard and an Intel i7-930 processor.
Can't find the right SATA Txtsetup.oem file XP is asking during the install, so the install fails.
Can anuone help?
Thanks.

tecmo34

Administrator
If XP is asking for a SATA driver, my guess is it is looking for the SATA III drivers. It should already have the requires standard SATA II drivers to get you started. Look for the Marville folder on the install disk to install those drivers. Hopefully, this will get the install process moving forward.

Second... why wouldn't you upgrade to Windows 7 on a new Intel Core i7-930 build? Windows 7 is equal or better than XP.

ompblus

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
Hi Ko888,

Thanks for your answer.
My motherboard is a rev 1.0.
Already went on the Gigabyte site and downloaded the files but they are .exe and when you launch the XP install, XP is expecting a TxtSetup.oem + other files on the disquette... not a .exe.
Unless you can tell me how to use the .exe file I downloaded???
Thanks again for your help.

ompblus.

ompblus

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
hi Tecmo34,

thanks for your answer.
First I don't have W7... it will come as I agree on the fact that with my new config it'll be better.
Second, all SATA file on the Gigabyte site are .EXE and as I said, XP is expecting a .OEM... so it doesn't work.
Any other suggestion??
Thanks.

ompblus.

The files are in 7-Zip self-extracting executable format. Execute the file so that it extracts itself (usually it'll create its own sub-directory containing more sub-directories and files that will most likely have exactly what you're looking for.

ompblus

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
The files are the same than the ones on the motherboard CD I got:

jraid.cat, jraid.sys, txtsetup.oem, xraid_f.inf

I copied them to a disquette, put the disquette into the floppy drive, launched the XP install, hit F6 when requested, nothing happened, then later XP asked for the disquette, found it, said it's gonna install the drivers, went on with the install and... failed!!

Seems something is missing...

ompblus

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
Nope because there is NO .OEM file in the extract... and I know the XP install is looking for one + other files.
If it doesn't find a .OEM file it won't work.
What a pain!!

bilbat

Splendid
I'm thoroughly confused here... First off, where do you have your drives physically connected? Second, do you not have the install CD that came with the board? Third, are you, perhaps, talking about 'pre-install' <F6> drivers, used at the beginning of the install to make the drive(s) 'visible' to Xp in the first place? I've done a lot of Xp installs, and never had it ask for any kind of driver during the install - you normally 'load up' all the hardware drivers 'post-install', and using the included CD installer 'sequences' them correctly - some need to go in first so the hardware attached to those pieces can be 'discovered', or 'polled', allowing their installation...

"I prefer to create an Install CD with the drivers available *" USB method is the fastest however...

*Installation CD vs. USB vs. Floppy {XP missing drivers}

*Link - http://news.softpedia.com/news/Install-Windows-XP-On-SATA-Without-a-Floppy-F6-47807.shtml
Link - http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=4900
Link - http://www.bootdisk.com/

Per GA Manual (PG 106)
Link (English) - http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-x58a-ud3r_v2.0_e.pdf

<F6> Install:
Step 1: Restart your system to boot from the Windows XP setup disk and press <F6> as soon as you see the mes-sage "Press F6 if you need to install a 3rd party SCSI or RAID driver" (Figure 1). A screen will then appear asking you to specify additional device.

Step 2: For the Intel ICH10R:Insert the floppy disk containing the SATA RAID/AHCI driver and press <S>. Then a controller menu similar to Figure 2 below will appear. Select Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO/PCH SATA RAID Controller and press <Enter>.

Step 3: On the next screen, press <Enter> to continue the driver installation. After the driver installation, you can pro-ceed with the Windows XP installation.

footnote: XP 32-bit is the only option that makes any sense in this situation, but your RAM will be limited to 4GB. XP is still in most Enterprise situations, but for "Home" use I would strongly recommend WIN 7 64-bit. Further, WIN 7 Pro, Ultimate, & Enterprise allow you to run XP in its own environment for "FREE!"

Limits link - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778(VS.85).aspx

In the GA-X58A-UD3R (rev. 1.0) manual - Link: http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-x58a-ud3r_e.pdf

Page 104 "5-1-4 Making a SATA RAID/AHCI Driver Diskette (Required for AHCI and RAID Mode)" is where the OP is having the problem. I'm assuming the instructions on this page were followed.

Since the OP didn't specify what the ICH SATA Control Mode is set to, for the SATA port that the hard disk drive is attached to, it's just a guessing game as to what driver is actually required, if any. If the ICH SATA Control Mode is set to IDE you wouldn't think a 3rd party driver should be required during Windows XP setup.

I agree, I use nLite quite extensively for my own builds.

ompblus

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010

1) My drives are physically connected.
2) I have the install CD and it is said to first instal Windows before to run it and install all the mobo utilities.
3) your're right.
4) My XP CD is a SP0 asking to press <F6> with a floppy having the right SATA drivers ready.
5) I've been trying to install on an IDE drive and I've got the same issue: at somme point the install crashes with an 0x0000007E error on pci.sys file

tecmo34

Administrator
I think your issue is your OS, itself. I don't think the Gigabyte board supports XP (No Service Pack), I like the lowest it goes is SP2. You will need to use software like nLite to add in Service Pack 1, Service Pack 2 and Service Pack 3, which will give you the best chance of a successful install.

Your problem withe the 0x0000007E error on pci.sys error is definitely related to your use of Windows XP with no service packs, you need at least Service Pack 1 to get past this error.

bilbat

Splendid
1) My drives are physically connected.
2) I have the install CD and it is said to first instal Windows before to run it and install all the mobo utilities.
3) your're right.
4) My XP CD is a SP0 asking to press <F6> with a floppy having the right SATA drivers ready.
5) I've been trying to install on an IDE drive and I've got the same issue: at somme point the install crashes with an 0x0000007E error on pci.sys file

1 - [:bilbat:9] ...what I'm looking for here is what drive(s) connected to what port(s), as well as what 'mode' you have the corresponding BIOS item for each controller... Will help me understand and advise...
2 - That's part of what confused me - that is exactly it, first, the OS, then the drivers...
3 - so now I 'get it' - you're having trouble with pre-loads
4 - if you'd like (and don't mind taking the time for a 600MB download), I could post an Xp/SP3 install disk for you - I use MediaFire, and my single file limit is, I think, 200M, so it will be in three 'pieces'...
5 - likely the Sp0 issue - but keep that disk - it's a collector's item ;)

If you're running on the ICH (primary Intel disk controller - ports SATA2_0 through SATA2_5), the preinstall you want is here, at Intel...

ompblus

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010

Ok guys, i'm gonna try to prepare a Nlite built... but it wasn't successful in the past... I'll take my XP (SP0), will add SP1, SP2 and SP3 + all the drivers I have on the Gigabyte CD... Does that make sense to you??
Also any suggestion on the BIOS config??

ompblus

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010

Got it, thanks.
Now for the drivers, do I insert the .exe which need to be unzipped or do I select all the unzipped files extracted from them??

bilbat

Splendid
If no luck w/nLite, I meant an Xp/Sp3 actual install disk, not the Sp3 ISO - the full Xp installer with Sp3 already in it; for BIOS settings, still need to know 'what's hooked up where'...

Here's an example of one of my BIOS setup files:

GA-EX58-UD5
Intel i7-920 x20mult 2.666GHz .80-1.375V
OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 1600Mhz Platinum (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3-12800: 7-7-7-24-1t 1.64v nominal
(first try will clock RAM at Intel rated 1066...)

If you haven't yet done it, start with a BIOS' "Load Optimized Defaults"

Before we start ramping things up, I want to teach you a new skill involving the BIOS: Do the <DEL> at the boot to enter the BIOS;
notice, at the bottom, the <F11> "Save CMOS to BIOS" - hit this, and you should get a menu that will show a number (the count varies by BIOS) of empty 'slots', each of which will store an entire set of BIOS parameters, to be re-loaded from the corresponding <F12> "Load CMOS from BIOS"; this is a wonderful overclocker's feature. What I do with it, is to save my 'baseline' working parameters, so if I change something that 'irritates' the board, and forces a reset of all the parameters to defaults, or, even worse, get so screwed up I need to do a 'clear CMOS', I can get back to my starting point with no effort, and without having to remember 85 separate settings! Another thing it prevents is two hours' troubleshooting, having forgotten a change to a crucial parameter - like, "wait a minute - didn't I have the Trd at seven?!" It's pretty self-explanatory, and I alway urge people to start right away by taking the time to give the 'slots' names that mean something: in two hours, "Try2" and "Try3" will not be very helpful, but "450@+10MCH" and "450@+15MCH" will! Another use is for 'green' settings; overclocks, as a rule, do not 'play well' with green features, such as 'down-clocking' and 'down-volting'; with the storage slots, you can set up one profile, say "Green", with all the settings at 'stock' values, and all the 'green' features enabled; another, say "Balls2Wall" with a full overclock, and all the 'green' stuff turned off... Another neat feature of this 'slot' system is, for most BIOS, the mechanism itself will keep track of which ones have booted successfully, and how many times (up to, I believe, a max of five)!

On the "MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)" page:

"CPU Clock Ratio" to "20x"
"CPU Frequency" - this one can't be set, it's calculated, and will change when we set the next few items...

On the "Advanced CPU Features" sub-page:

"Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech" to "Enabled"
"CPU Cores Enabled" to "All"
"CPU Multi Threading" to "Enabled"
"CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)" to "Disabled"
"C3/C6/C7 State Support" to "Disabled"
"CPU Thermal Monitor" to "Enabled"
"CPU EIST Function" to "Disabled"
"Virtualization Technology" to "Enabled" - this allows use of Win7's fantastic VirtualXp feature...
"Bi-Directional PROCHOT" to "Enabled"

On the "Uncore & QPI Features" sub-page:

"QPI Link Speed" to "x36" (may 'bump' to x44 later...)
Uncore Frequency" to "20" (may 'bump' to x22 later...)
Isonchronous Frequency" to "Enabled"

On the "Advanced Clock Control" sub-page:

>>>>>Standard Clock Control<<<<<
"Base Clock (BCLK) Control" to "Enabled"
"BCLK Frequency (MHz)" to "133"
"PCI Express Frequency (MHz)" to "101" (not auto)
"C.I.A.2" to "Disabled"
>>>>>Advanced Clock Control<<<<<
"CPU Clock Drive" to "800mV"
"PCI Express Clock Drive" to "900mV"
"CPU Clock Skew" to "0ps"
"IOH Clock Skew" to "0ps"

On the "Advanced DRAM Features" sub-page:

"Performance Enhance" to "Standard"
"Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P)" to "Disabled"
"System Memory Multiplier (SPD)" to "8x"
"DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD)" to "Manual"

>>>>>Channel A/B/C Timing Settings: (all the same)

>>>>>Channel A Standard Timing Control:
"CAS Latency Time" to "6"
"tRCD" to "6"
"tRP" to "6"
"tRAS" to "18"

Italicized values should be good in auto after "Load Optimized Defaults"; have put in some 'check me' values [I'm uncertain yet about some - please post back with your 'auto's], but to start, leave in auto...

>>>>>Channel A Advanced Timing Control:
"tRC" to "36"
"tRRD" to "5"
"tWTR" to "6?"
"tWR" to "12"
"tWTP" to "24?"
"tWL" to "7"
"tRFC" to "88"
"tRTP" to "8"
"tFAW" to "??"
"Command Rate (CMD)" to "1T"
>>>>>Channel A Misc Timing Control
"Round Trip" to "??"

On the "Advanced Voltage Control" sub-page:

>>>CPU
"Load Line Calibration" to "Disabled"
"CPU Vcore" to "Auto"
"QPI/VTT Voltage 1.150v" to "1.374" May need to bump for stability
"CPU PLL 1.800v" to "Auto"

>>>MCH/ICH
"PCIE 1.500v" to "1.5"
"QPI PLL 1.100v" to "1.24"
"IOH Core 1.100v" to "1.24"
"ICH I/O 1.500v" to "1.5"
"ICH Core 1.1v" to "1.1"

>>>DRAM
"DRAM Voltage 1.500v" to "1.50"
"DRAM Termination 0.750v" to "Auto"
"Ch-A Data VRef. 0.750v" to "Auto"
"Ch-B Data VRef. 0.750v" to "Auto"
"Ch-C Data VRef. 0.750v" to "Auto"
"Ch-A Address VRef. 0.750v" to "Auto"
"Ch-B Address VRef. 0.750v" to "Auto"
"Ch-C Address VRef. 0.750v" to "Auto"

On the "Integrated Peripherals" page:

"USB Storage Function" to "Disabled"

And that should do it!

I should point out that getting two reboots in a row here is perfectly normal behavior; it seems that, when you change certain settings (and we don't exactly know which ones - the only sure one I know is Trd - if you change it, I think you get the 'twin' reboot) it boots once to 'see where it's at', recalculates its remaining 'auto' settings, saves them, and then boots again. Three reboots in a row, however, usually indicates that the board was 'given indigestion' by your settings, and is going back to defaults. This sometimes goes astray, and it doesn't get back into proper operation - for example, at this point, mine will sometimes 'lock' itself into 111MHz x a six multiplier - and take a week to do a whole boot - that's time to do a CMOS reset, and use your 'stored' <F12> profile to get back to where you were...

Good luck!

Bill