XP SP2 and ANTI VIRUS

I recently bougth a SONY VAIO Notebook with XP Pro SP2 built in. (centrino
1,6GHz 1Gb RAM)
Since the beginning (it came with Norton) I had to wait the complete start
of the anti virus programme (up to 120 sec. after the start of the machine)
before using Outlook, MSN Messenger, exploring any folder. It did not even
connect to the LAN.
Thinking it was Norton, I unistalled it and installed McAfee 9.0 instead but
the problem remains the same.
Windows itself start quite quickly and seems to run ok, but I have this
looong waiting before the full accessibility to my PC.
I run Adaware and Spybot, no problems found.
Any suggestions?

Slow computer