XP SP2 and HP Photosmart 7550

Have had the printer 2 years. Worked under 98 and original installation of
XP. Three PC's access the printer via home network (2 XP, 1 98).

Applies SP2 and the 2 XP computers can no longer print to the printer. The
printer "initializes" (makes all the right noises) but then ejects a blank
page. The 98 pc still print just fine. In fact the 2 XP machines can still
print to a HP 810 attached to it.

After a 10 days with HP support and no good solutions. I uninstalled SP2
and everything is back to normal. The problem is in SP2.

Want to upgrade to SP2 especially with the April 12 date out there.

Any help/ideas appreciated...

Since you uninstalled SP-2, also remove all parts of the printer driver.
Install SP-2:
Then carefully install the printer driver per HP instructions.

What April 12 date?
Are you referring to the myth that all computers will be forced to install
SP-2 at that time if SP-2 is not already installed?

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"RSyb" <RSyb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Have had the printer 2 years. Worked under 98 and original installation
> of
> XP. Three PC's access the printer via home network (2 XP, 1 98).
>
> Applies SP2 and the 2 XP computers can no longer print to the printer.
> The
> printer "initializes" (makes all the right noises) but then ejects a blank
> page. The 98 pc still print just fine. In fact the 2 XP machines can
> still
> print to a HP 810 attached to it.
>
> After a 10 days with HP support and no good solutions. I uninstalled SP2
> and everything is back to normal. The problem is in SP2.
>
> Want to upgrade to SP2 especially with the April 12 date out there.
>
> Any help/ideas appreciated...

Sorry maybe I wasn't clear. After uninstalling SP2 the printer works fine.
I can print from either XP pc as long as I am not using SP2.

Yeah, that's the date! :)

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> Since you uninstalled SP-2, also remove all parts of the printer driver.
> Install SP-2:
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm
> Then carefully install the printer driver per HP instructions.
>
> What April 12 date?
> Are you referring to the myth that all computers will be forced to install
> SP-2 at that time if SP-2 is not already installed?
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>

> "RSyb" <RSyb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Have had the printer 2 years. Worked under 98 and original installation
> > of
> > XP. Three PC's access the printer via home network (2 XP, 1 98).
> >
> > Applies SP2 and the 2 XP computers can no longer print to the printer.
> > The
> > printer "initializes" (makes all the right noises) but then ejects a blank
> > page. The 98 pc still print just fine. In fact the 2 XP machines can
> > still
> > print to a HP 810 attached to it.
> >
> > After a 10 days with HP support and no good solutions. I uninstalled SP2
> > and everything is back to normal. The problem is in SP2.
> >
> > Want to upgrade to SP2 especially with the April 12 date out there.
> >
> > Any help/ideas appreciated...

Oops. My mistake. Skipped right over the second line.

Basically remove any trace of this printer until after SP2 is installed.

I'm willing to give it a try...

Thanks.

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> Since you uninstalled SP-2, also remove all parts of the printer driver.
> Install SP-2:
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm
> Then carefully install the printer driver per HP instructions.
>
> What April 12 date?
> Are you referring to the myth that all computers will be forced to install
> SP-2 at that time if SP-2 is not already installed?
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>

> "RSyb" <RSyb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Have had the printer 2 years. Worked under 98 and original installation
> > of
> > XP. Three PC's access the printer via home network (2 XP, 1 98).
> >
> > Applies SP2 and the 2 XP computers can no longer print to the printer.
> > The
> > printer "initializes" (makes all the right noises) but then ejects a blank
> > page. The 98 pc still print just fine. In fact the 2 XP machines can
> > still
> > print to a HP 810 attached to it.
> >
> > After a 10 days with HP support and no good solutions. I uninstalled SP2
> > and everything is back to normal. The problem is in SP2.
> >
> > Want to upgrade to SP2 especially with the April 12 date out there.
> >
> > Any help/ideas appreciated...

You do know that is a myth that SP-2 will be forced on all Windows XP
computers?
At best it is bad journalism by the sites and publications stating so:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/forcesp2.htm