Hello

I have a computer running XP Home SP2.

At the moment I cannot switch users or log-off the current user.
Unfortunately the user that is the current default has very restricted
rights and cannot install programs or access any other user.

Cannot seem to fix it and wondering if anyone has any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help

Regards
Echy

try logging off via task manager, reboot, and try to start in safe mode.
If you can get that far, you can access the default admin account and start
you troubleshooting from there.
If you cannot log off via task manager, try closing all applications, then
power down, wait 30 seconds, power back on and attempt safe mode.
If you get to safe mode try creating a new user account w/ admin rights.

lvee wrote:
> try logging off via task manager, reboot, and try to start in safe mode.
> If you can get that far, you can access the default admin account and start
> you troubleshooting from there.
> If you cannot log off via task manager, try closing all applications, then
> power down, wait 30 seconds, power back on and attempt safe mode.
> If you get to safe mode try creating a new user account w/ admin rights.
>
> "Echy" <acuhcewrongone@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
>
>>Hello
>>
>>I have a computer running XP Home SP2.
>>
>>At the moment I cannot switch users or log-off the current user.
>>Unfortunately the user that is the current default has very restricted
>>rights and cannot install programs or access any other user.
>>
>>Cannot seem to fix it and wondering if anyone has any ideas?
>>
>>Thanks in advance for any help
>>
>>Regards
>>Echy

Thanks for replying.

I could not log off via Task Manager as when I try this it starts the
log off procedure, says it is logging the user off and then immediately
loads the same profile again.

However I did manage to start up in safe mode using your tip - but it
has loaded the same user (limited account, password protected) and I
cannot see anywhere I can get to a user name with full rights.

Any further help greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

Regards
Echy

Are you sure that the account that does show up in safe mode is a 'Limited'
account? and that it's the only one listed? I ask because in order to get
into safe mode, you must have 'administrator rights' and the default, built
in administrator account is/ should be listed as well.
I'm going to ask you to try a couple of different approaches in advance
startup options .First, boot to the advance startup options again (tapping
F8 while rebooting) , but this time, instead of selecting safe mode, try
'Last known Good Configuration'. See if your accounts are back in order.
If not, reboot to advanced startup options, go to safe mode, and log on
with whatever account is listed. If you can get to your desktop, go to
control panel>user accounts> and see a: what's listed there, and b: try
adding a new user account w/ admin rights, or changing the account/s that
are listed to admin type accounts, and for the time being, remove any
passwords that you may have..you can always put them back when things are
sorted out.

Also, if you can get to the desktop with any account, go to the user
accounts, turn off the Welcome screen and Fast user switch, and see if you
can do a system restore to any day prior this happening. Then, run all of
your anti virus/ spyware/malware programs.
Can you tell me what changes, additions or anything that you can think of
prior to this happening that may shed some light?

> lvee wrote:
>> try logging off via task manager, reboot, and try to start in safe mode.
>> If you can get that far, you can access the default admin account and
>> start you troubleshooting from there.
>> If you cannot log off via task manager, try closing all applications,
>> then power down, wait 30 seconds, power back on and attempt safe mode.
>> If you get to safe mode try creating a new user account w/ admin rights.
>>
>> "Echy" <acuhcewrongone@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hello
>>>
>>>I have a computer running XP Home SP2.
>>>
>>>At the moment I cannot switch users or log-off the current user.
>>>Unfortunately the user that is the current default has very restricted
>>>rights and cannot install programs or access any other user.
>>>
>>>Cannot seem to fix it and wondering if anyone has any ideas?
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance for any help
>>>
>>>Regards
>>>Echy
>>

> Thanks for replying.
>
> I could not log off via Task Manager as when I try this it starts the log
> off procedure, says it is logging the user off and then immediately loads
> the same profile again.
>
> However I did manage to start up in safe mode using your tip - but it has
> loaded the same user (limited account, password protected) and I cannot
> see anywhere I can get to a user name with full rights.
>
> Any further help greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks again
>
> Regards
> Echy

Sounds like you have "Automatically logon user" set....usually a bad idea.
If you can get to a cmd prompt, you could always use the "runas" command to
get an mmc up...load up the group policy snap-in and fix it...if this is
your desire. You could also use the runas to run any other program, to
include another cmd prompt, to do the administrative tasks you wish. If no
cmd prompt is available, it is also possible to set the runas properties on
a shortcut of the program you desire and it will prompt you for the
credentials the next time you start it.

Leslie