XP vs Blu-Ray data disc

chenw

Honorable
Hey all,

My google-fu of XP and Blu-ray discs all end up with answers relating to playing BR movies on XP using the correct players, but unfortunately, they failed to answer the question I am looking for.

Is XP natively capable of reading Blu-Ray data discs, as in discs with actual files on them?

I am not looking into playing BR movies AT ALL on XP, it's mainly for legacy games (movies are for Win 7 I will be dual booting, but that's also a stretch), but a lot of my legacy game disc ISOs are burnt onto blu-rays as a backup.

Thanks!

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
data is written as normal files, perhaps in udf format but that is usually handled by the os and last time when i required udf support for udf was with diablo 2 and iirc there is a udf driver if required if you search for it on internet

the bluray data reading is handled by the drive which is sata, if pc recognices it, should work

use vlc for reading the video in it

if it is a usb external drive, it should come with a disc with some software, try to install it but remember that windows xp was abandoned 4 years ago, expect many limitations and problems

better consider a os upgrade, also a hardware upgrade, if any bluray contend in it, like movies, any xp era hardware will not be able to reproduce the files, not enough ram in gpu, system and usually weak cpu makes it impossible to do

chenw

Honorable
I am using (almost) up to date hardware for the XP build: A68M ITX motherboard with a a8-5600k Trinity APU, if the GPU doesn't cut it, I'll have 750ti to fall back on, so OS support is my only worry.

Worst comes to worst, I'll be dual booting into Win 7, so I'll just copy the files on Win 7 onto a common HDD and read it on XP from there. I am just evaluating my options, my case has a slim tray that I can use either for 2.5" swapping tray (to swap between XP and Win 7) or a Slim ODD, and I am determining whether there is any worth in getting an BR ODD as opposed to CD/DVD ODD.

chenw

Honorable
I want to use XP because I need to use it for 16bit programs, and my planned rig's drivers goes that far back in terms of available drivers.

Win 7 hasn't been the greatest and windows 10 32 bit dropped 16bit support last time I checked.

Emulation doesn't work satisfactorily, if at all, so my last option is running actual XP.