Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

Does anyone have an idea as to why I can't get my XP to reinstall?? When it
tries to install, it gets to the EULA screen and then the keyboard locks up!
Tried another XP CD, and I tried replacing the CD Drive. I tried another
keyboard also. No Joy ! Computer will boot to a Floppy, and Win98 CD. But it
will not install XP from CD. Always locks up at the same place. Previously
had Windows XP. I deleted the c:\ partition and cleaned the drive of all
files. Now I can't get it past the EULA>..............
Any Thoughts??
Rick S.

Could be a faulty CD. One thing you might like to try is download the 6
windows xp setup disks from www.bootdisk.com This will allow you to install
the 'dos' part of the setup. It may be that the keyboard driver is corrupt
or, as I have said, you may have a faulty cd.
Insert the first setup floppy into your floppy drive and reboot. As the
files are copying insert your xp cd into your cd rom so that when the floppy
setup ends it can immediately access the cd-rom. See if that makes any
difference.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
"Rick" <Notevenme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone have an idea as to why I can't get my XP to reinstall?? When
> it
> tries to install, it gets to the EULA screen and then the keyboard locks
> up!
> Tried another XP CD, and I tried replacing the CD Drive. I tried another
> keyboard also. No Joy ! Computer will boot to a Floppy, and Win98 CD. But
> it
> will not install XP from CD. Always locks up at the same place.
> Previously
> had Windows XP. I deleted the c:\ partition and cleaned the drive of all
> files. Now I can't get it past the EULA>..............
> Any Thoughts??
> Rick S.

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

Hi John;
I have tried several XP CD's and it still does the same thing. I did try
installing Windows 98SE and then insert the XP CD. XP install started
normally, then stops responding at the same place ( the EULA screen where I
need to press F8). I did try your suggestion on the 6 floppies.Goes to the
same place and then same "Hang".
Could it be a boot bios virus? If so, then why does 98SE install OK?
I am really stumped by this problem. I read through the technet about the
i815 chipset problem, but I am not using any USB items and I tried going
into the BIOS and disabling the boot virus protection and all legacy
support.
Still no help.
Any other suggestions where I might look?
Lawrence @ Lawrence Systems
"John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.nospam> wrote in message
> Could be a faulty CD. One thing you might like to try is download the 6
> windows xp setup disks from www.bootdisk.com This will allow you to
> install the 'dos' part of the setup. It may be that the keyboard driver is
> corrupt or, as I have said, you may have a faulty cd.
> Insert the first setup floppy into your floppy drive and reboot. As the
> files are copying insert your xp cd into your cd rom so that when the
> floppy setup ends it can immediately access the cd-rom. See if that makes
> any difference.
>
> --
> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> www.freelanceit.glowinternet.net
> "Rick" <Notevenme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> Does anyone have an idea as to why I can't get my XP to reinstall?? When
>> it
>> tries to install, it gets to the EULA screen and then the keyboard locks
>> up!
>> Tried another XP CD, and I tried replacing the CD Drive. I tried another
>> keyboard also. No Joy ! Computer will boot to a Floppy, and Win98 CD. But
>> it
>> will not install XP from CD. Always locks up at the same place.
>> Previously
>> had Windows XP. I deleted the c:\ partition and cleaned the drive of all
>> files. Now I can't get it past the EULA>..............
>> Any Thoughts??
>> Rick S.

Do you have an F lock on your keyboard? I think that was the one that caused
me the same problem a while back.
> Hi John;
> I have tried several XP CD's and it still does the same thing. I did try
> installing Windows 98SE and then insert the XP CD. XP install started
> normally, then stops responding at the same place ( the EULA screen where
> I need to press F8). I did try your suggestion on the 6 floppies.Goes to
> the same place and then same "Hang".
> Could it be a boot bios virus? If so, then why does 98SE install OK?
> I am really stumped by this problem. I read through the technet about the
> i815 chipset problem, but I am not using any USB items and I tried going
> into the BIOS and disabling the boot virus protection and all legacy
> support.
> Still no help.
> Any other suggestions where I might look?
> Lawrence @ Lawrence Systems
> "John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.nospam> wrote in message
>> Could be a faulty CD. One thing you might like to try is download the 6
>> windows xp setup disks from www.bootdisk.com This will allow you to
>> install the 'dos' part of the setup. It may be that the keyboard driver
>> is corrupt or, as I have said, you may have a faulty cd.
>> Insert the first setup floppy into your floppy drive and reboot. As the
>> files are copying insert your xp cd into your cd rom so that when the
>> floppy setup ends it can immediately access the cd-rom. See if that makes
>> any difference.
>>
>> --
>> John Barnett MVP
>> Associate Expert
>> www.freelanceit.glowinternet.net
>> "Rick" <Notevenme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>> Does anyone have an idea as to why I can't get my XP to reinstall?? When
>>> it
>>> tries to install, it gets to the EULA screen and then the keyboard locks
>>> up!
>>> Tried another XP CD, and I tried replacing the CD Drive. I tried another
>>> keyboard also. No Joy ! Computer will boot to a Floppy, and Win98 CD.
>>> But it
>>> will not install XP from CD. Always locks up at the same place.
>>> Previously
>>> had Windows XP. I deleted the c:\ partition and cleaned the drive of all
>>> files. Now I can't get it past the EULA>..............
>>> Any Thoughts??
>>> Rick S.

Look for a BIOS update from the manufacturer or the motherboard maker.