XP worstations intermittently lose connection to network s..

On my office network, the domain controller is a Win2000 Server. Ever since
I began upgrading workstations to Windows XP two or three years ago, I have
had difficulties. The machines running XP Pro lose connection to file shares
on the server (and other fileservers) after a period of inactivity, sometimes
as short as five minutes, sometimes as long at 2 hours. When the user tries
to open a network share, Explorer hangs...sometimes after 3-5 min a
username/password dialog will ask you to authenticate using a different user
account than the one you're logged in under, then your connection is restored
for the time being...other times, you end up getting a "file not found" or
been dealing with this for two years, and recently it's gotten a lot worse on
one computer, so I need to fix it badly. Does anyone have any clue what to
do?
--
--------------------------------
Ben Coats

On these problem machines what server do they point to for their preferred
DNS server? Alternate?

Are both of these your DNS servers?

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"Ben Coats" <BenCoats@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> On my office network, the domain controller is a Win2000 Server. Ever
> since
> I began upgrading workstations to Windows XP two or three years ago, I
> have
> had difficulties. The machines running XP Pro lose connection to file
> shares
> on the server (and other fileservers) after a period of inactivity,
> sometimes
> as short as five minutes, sometimes as long at 2 hours. When the user
> tries
> to open a network share, Explorer hangs...sometimes after 3-5 min a
> username/password dialog will ask you to authenticate using a different
> user
> account than the one you're logged in under, then your connection is
> restored
> for the time being...other times, you end up getting a "file not found" or
> been dealing with this for two years, and recently it's gotten a lot worse
> on
> one computer, so I need to fix it badly. Does anyone have any clue what
> do?
> --
> --------------------------------
> Ben Coats
> .Net Developer
> Newberry Pathology Associates
> Newberry, SC, USA

No, all have DNS server set to "Automatic". The Win2000 Server (the domain
controller) is the DNS server, a router acts as the DHCP Server.
--
--------------------------------

"Danny Sanders" wrote:

> On these problem machines what server do they point to for their preferred
> DNS server? Alternate?
>
> Are both of these your DNS servers?
>
> hth
> DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
>
> "Ben Coats" <BenCoats@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > On my office network, the domain controller is a Win2000 Server. Ever
> > since
> > I began upgrading workstations to Windows XP two or three years ago, I
> > have
> > had difficulties. The machines running XP Pro lose connection to file
> > shares
> > on the server (and other fileservers) after a period of inactivity,
> > sometimes
> > as short as five minutes, sometimes as long at 2 hours. When the user
> > tries
> > to open a network share, Explorer hangs...sometimes after 3-5 min a
> > username/password dialog will ask you to authenticate using a different
> > user
> > account than the one you're logged in under, then your connection is
> > restored
> > for the time being...other times, you end up getting a "file not found" or
> > been dealing with this for two years, and recently it's gotten a lot worse
> > on
> > one computer, so I need to fix it badly. Does anyone have any clue what
> > do?
> > --
> > --------------------------------
> > Ben Coats
> > .Net Developer
> > Newberry Pathology Associates
> > Newberry, SC, USA

> No, all have DNS server set to "Automatic". The Win2000 Server (the
> domain
> controller) is the DNS server, a router acts as the DHCP Server.

Ok, when you run IPconfig /all and view the IPaddresses of the DNS servers
listed on the client, what server do they point to for preferred DNS server?
Alternate?

Are these servers *yours*? Are these the servers you set up to handle DNS
for your domain?

> No, all have DNS server set to "Automatic". The Win2000 Server (the
> domain
> controller) is the DNS server, a router acts as the DHCP Server.
> --
> --------------------------------
> Ben Coats
> .Net Developer
> Newberry Pathology Associates
> Newberry, SC, USA
>

> "Danny Sanders" wrote:
>
>> On these problem machines what server do they point to for their
>> preferred
>> DNS server? Alternate?
>>
>> Are both of these your DNS servers?
>>
>> hth
>> DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
>>
>> "Ben Coats" <BenCoats@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > On my office network, the domain controller is a Win2000 Server. Ever
>> > since
>> > I began upgrading workstations to Windows XP two or three years ago, I
>> > have
>> > had difficulties. The machines running XP Pro lose connection to file
>> > shares
>> > on the server (and other fileservers) after a period of inactivity,
>> > sometimes
>> > as short as five minutes, sometimes as long at 2 hours. When the user
>> > tries
>> > to open a network share, Explorer hangs...sometimes after 3-5 min a
>> > username/password dialog will ask you to authenticate using a different
>> > user
>> > account than the one you're logged in under, then your connection is
>> > restored
>> > for the time being...other times, you end up getting a "file not found"
>> > or
>> > I've
>> > been dealing with this for two years, and recently it's gotten a lot
>> > worse
>> > on
>> > one computer, so I need to fix it badly. Does anyone have any clue
>> > what
>> > do?
>> > --
>> > --------------------------------
>> > Ben Coats
>> > .Net Developer
>> > Newberry Pathology Associates
>> > Newberry, SC, USA

Look at creating a "login script" to would re-set the "mappings" everytime a
PC logs on. If you rely on "Map network drive.." within XP only, you can
loose the mappings if the XP starts up before the mapped system(s) starts.
The XP will ask "...restore on next boot" and the default answer is "NO,
which removes the mapping.

"Ben Coats" <BenCoats@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> No, all have DNS server set to "Automatic". The Win2000 Server (the
> domain
> controller) is the DNS server, a router acts as the DHCP Server.
> --
> --------------------------------
> Ben Coats
> .Net Developer
> Newberry Pathology Associates
> Newberry, SC, USA
>

> "Danny Sanders" wrote:
>
>> On these problem machines what server do they point to for their
>> preferred
>> DNS server? Alternate?
>>
>> Are both of these your DNS servers?
>>
>> hth
>> DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
>>
>> "Ben Coats" <BenCoats@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > On my office network, the domain controller is a Win2000 Server. Ever
>> > since
>> > I began upgrading workstations to Windows XP two or three years ago, I
>> > have
>> > had difficulties. The machines running XP Pro lose connection to file
>> > shares
>> > on the server (and other fileservers) after a period of inactivity,
>> > sometimes
>> > as short as five minutes, sometimes as long at 2 hours. When the user
>> > tries
>> > to open a network share, Explorer hangs...sometimes after 3-5 min a
>> > username/password dialog will ask you to authenticate using a different
>> > user
>> > account than the one you're logged in under, then your connection is
>> > restored
>> > for the time being...other times, you end up getting a "file not found"
>> > or
>> > I've
>> > been dealing with this for two years, and recently it's gotten a lot
>> > worse
>> > on
>> > one computer, so I need to fix it badly. Does anyone have any clue
>> > what
>> > do?
>> > --
>> > --------------------------------
>> > Ben Coats
>> > .Net Developer
>> > Newberry Pathology Associates
>> > Newberry, SC, USA

No, they are not. The DNS servers listed are not even in the subnet...but
the looks of the addresses, they must be the ISP's DNS servers. Why are they
showing up there? What can I do to fix this issue?
--
--------------------------------

"Danny Sanders" wrote:

> > No, all have DNS server set to "Automatic". The Win2000 Server (the
> > domain
> > controller) is the DNS server, a router acts as the DHCP Server.
>
> Ok, when you run IPconfig /all and view the IPaddresses of the DNS servers
> listed on the client, what server do they point to for preferred DNS server?
> Alternate?
>
> Are these servers *yours*? Are these the servers you set up to handle DNS
> for your domain?
>

> hth
> DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
>
> "Ben Coats" <BenCoats@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > No, all have DNS server set to "Automatic". The Win2000 Server (the
> > domain
> > controller) is the DNS server, a router acts as the DHCP Server.
> > --
> > --------------------------------
> > Ben Coats
> > .Net Developer
> > Newberry Pathology Associates
> > Newberry, SC, USA
> >

> > "Danny Sanders" wrote:
> >
> >> On these problem machines what server do they point to for their
> >> preferred
> >> DNS server? Alternate?
> >>
> >> Are both of these your DNS servers?
> >>
> >> hth
> >> DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
> >>
> >> "Ben Coats" <BenCoats@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Malke

Ben Coats wrote:

> No, they are not. The DNS servers listed are not even in the
> subnet...but
> the looks of the addresses, they must be the ISP's DNS servers. Why
> are they
> showing up there? What can I do to fix this issue?

You seem to have the DNS settings on the server wrong. Briefly, the
server should look to itself for DNS with forwarders set for Internet
access. All workstations should only look to the server for DNS. Here
is more detailed information from MVP Ron Lowe. The instructions are
applicable whether your server is running Win2k or Win2k3:

XP differs from previous versions of windows in that it uses DNS as it's
primary name resolution method for finding domain controllers:

If DNS is misconfigured, XP will spend a lot of time waiting for it to
timeout before it tries using legacy NT4 sytle NetBIOS. ( Which may or
may not work. )

1) Ensure that the XP clients are all configured to point to the local
DNS server which hosts the AD domain. That will probably be the Win2k
server itself. They should NOT be pointing to an ISP's DNS server. An
'ipconfig /all' on the XP box should reveal ONLY the domain's DNS
server. You should use the DHCP server to push out the local DNS server
address.

2) Ensure DNS server on Win2k is configured to permit dynamic updates.

3) Ensure the Win2k server points to itself as a DNS server.

4) For external ( internet ) name resolution, specify your ISP's DNS
server not on the clients, but in the 'forwarders' tab of the local
Win2k DNS server.

On the DNS server, if you cannot access the 'Forwarders' and 'Root
Hints' tabs because they are greyed out, that is because there is a
root zone (".") present on the DNS server. You MUST delete this root
zone to permit the server to forward unresolved queries to yout ISP or
the root servers. Accept any nags etc, and let it delete any
corresponding reverse lookup zones if it asks.

How Domain Controllers Are Located in Windows XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314861
Setting Up the Domain Name System for Active Directory -
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;237675
HOW TO: Configure DNS for Internet Access in Windows 2000 -
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300202
DNS and AD FAQs - http://support.microsoft.com/?id=291382

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Ben...

Follow Malke's directions. If you are using DHCP to hand out the DNS IP
addresses, change the DNS settings to point to the DNS server on your AD
domain set up to serve the AD domain.

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

> Ben Coats wrote:
>
>> No, they are not. The DNS servers listed are not even in the
>> subnet...but
>> the looks of the addresses, they must be the ISP's DNS servers. Why
>> are they
>> showing up there? What can I do to fix this issue?
>
> You seem to have the DNS settings on the server wrong. Briefly, the
> server should look to itself for DNS with forwarders set for Internet
> access. All workstations should only look to the server for DNS. Here
> is more detailed information from MVP Ron Lowe. The instructions are
> applicable whether your server is running Win2k or Win2k3:
>
> XP differs from previous versions of windows in that it uses DNS as it's
> primary name resolution method for finding domain controllers:
>
> If DNS is misconfigured, XP will spend a lot of time waiting for it to
> timeout before it tries using legacy NT4 sytle NetBIOS. ( Which may or
> may not work. )
>
> 1) Ensure that the XP clients are all configured to point to the local
> DNS server which hosts the AD domain. That will probably be the Win2k
> server itself. They should NOT be pointing to an ISP's DNS server. An
> 'ipconfig /all' on the XP box should reveal ONLY the domain's DNS
> server. You should use the DHCP server to push out the local DNS server
> address.
>
> 2) Ensure DNS server on Win2k is configured to permit dynamic updates.
>
> 3) Ensure the Win2k server points to itself as a DNS server.
>
> 4) For external ( internet ) name resolution, specify your ISP's DNS
> server not on the clients, but in the 'forwarders' tab of the local
> Win2k DNS server.
>
> On the DNS server, if you cannot access the 'Forwarders' and 'Root
> Hints' tabs because they are greyed out, that is because there is a
> root zone (".") present on the DNS server. You MUST delete this root
> zone to permit the server to forward unresolved queries to yout ISP or
> the root servers. Accept any nags etc, and let it delete any
> corresponding reverse lookup zones if it asks.
>
> How Domain Controllers Are Located in Windows XP -
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314861
> Setting Up the Domain Name System for Active Directory -
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;237675
> HOW TO: Configure DNS for Internet Access in Windows 2000 -
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300202
> DNS and AD FAQs - http://support.microsoft.com/?id=291382
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

All right. I'll try that, and we'll see how it works. Thanks so much for
your help. Hoping for the best!
--