Question XP32bit and PAE+SB eax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 28, 2020
Has anyone here tried the PEA patched for XP 32bit with a sound blaster?
I know the SB drivers for XP only have 32bit addressing even on XP 64bit witch disabled EAX and hardware sound when more then 4gb of ram is in the system. I was wondering if the 36bit addressing of a PAE enabled kernel would also disabled EAX or cause problems?
normally this would not be a problem but I have one last game I have yet to put on my retro gaming PC due to its ram usage being over 2gb and I did not want to use the 3gb switch in the boot.ini as that leaves only 1gb for the OS/drivers end of things. The PAE patches from what I know removed the 2GB per app limit and frees up PCI hole space.

Thanks.

I did not want to use the 3gb switch in the boot.ini as that leaves only 1gb for the OS/drivers end of things.
What do you need to have running while playing that game?
(That also needs more than 1Gb of mem)
Games, well the OS, usually clear out all of the system ram that they can before starting up and leave it in pagefile.Only things that actively keep running in the background need to keep their ram.

Reactions: Austin86
Sep 28, 2020
The OS and nothing more. But given the system I plan to use,the 3gb switch would leave less 500mb for the OS, PCI hole, adress space and what not would eat into that 1gb.
But the 3gb switch +PAE patch should fix the problem. It would give the OS accesses to 3gb per process.

Status
Not open for further replies.