[SOLVED] XPG D50 Won’t Boot at 3600MHz

Mar 10, 2023
Hey there,
I've installed some new XPG D50 sticks to my build, 4 of them to be specific (4x8gb) but I can't seem to get my system to boot at 3600mhz, as rated. Here is my setup specs:

MDB: ROG B450F - Gaming
CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x
GPU: ROG Strix RTX 2060

I did try setting my MDB DRAM speed manually to 3600mhz, but it fails to POST, restarts itself 2 or 3 times, and then boot normally at 2666 MHz (Windows does report 32gb of ram though), also tried setting DRAM voltage to 1.5v, and still the same. Am I being dumb and failing to realize something obviously wrong? Thank you in advance.

Solution
Get a matched ram kit...saves you the trouble with troubleshooting. Bright side of this is that with the latest BIOS now, you have access to pretty much any Ryzen CPU under the sun in the AM4 socket, and you probably can get to DDR4-3600MHz with your existing setup. Maybe not the rams but you can get there. Did you run memtest on the sticks...?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

ROG B450F - Gaming
What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? Just an FYI, 4 sticks and those frequencies will add stress to the integrated memory controller, you might want to try DDR4-3200MHz and see if that holds up.

Mar 10, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

ROG B450F - Gaming
What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? Just an FYI, 4 sticks and those frequencies will add stress to the integrated memory controller, you might want to try DDR4-3200MHz and see if that holds up.

Thank you, I’m currently running BIOS Version 3003 x64

Mar 10, 2023
BIOS Up to date, things did get different, but not for the best, unfortunately. Windows can’t seem to boot anymore, the PC turns off mid-loading for 2 times, at the third one, it doesn’t even POST, and turns on the yellow (DRAM error) light.

Edit: Alright, it does boot absolutely fine with only 16gb

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Did you clear the CMOS after you've verified your BIOS was successfully updated to the latest? Disconnect from the wall and display, remove the CMOS battery, then press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds to drain any residual power from the system, then replace the battery after 30 minutes. See if that helps you out.

Mar 10, 2023
Did you clear the CMOS after you've verified your BIOS was successfully updated to the latest? Disconnect from the wall and display, remove the CMOS battery, then press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds to drain any residual power from the system, then replace the battery after 30 minutes. See if that helps you out.
Yeah, the update was successful and I did clear CMOS, thank you so much btw. Im starting to suspect that I might have bad sticks, testing each one of them separately, i only managed to get 2 out of 4 to even POST, system will happily BOOT with the 2 good ones, but won't even POST with any of the 2 "Bad ones"

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
Did you buy the sticks as a 4 stick kit or 2 separate kits? If you're running 4 sticks it's ideal to have them come from a 4 stick kit as they are tested to work together.

It is also significantly more difficult for some/most motherboards and memory controllers to run 4 sticks vs 2.

You may want to consider returning the 4X8 sticks for 2X16 or just run the 2X8 if you're ok with 16GB.

Mar 10, 2023
Did you buy the sticks as a 4 stick kit or 2 separate kits? If you're running 4 sticks it's ideal to have them come from a 4 stick kit as they are tested to work together.

It is also significantly more difficult for some/most motherboards and memory controllers to run 4 sticks vs 2.

You may want to consider returning the 4X8 sticks for 2X16 or just run the 2X8 if you're ok with 16GB.

I theoretically bought 4 units in the same order, they all arrived in separate packages, that makes me believe that they were not tested all together, I might just return them. I was confident that 4x8 would work because that is what I used to have, running at 2666MHz, until I decided to upgrade to some faster (and for some RGB, of course). Does it hurt performance to have 2x16gb sticks instead of 4x8gb?

Lutfij

Titan
Get a matched ram kit...saves you the trouble with troubleshooting. Bright side of this is that with the latest BIOS now, you have access to pretty much any Ryzen CPU under the sun in the AM4 socket, and you probably can get to DDR4-3600MHz with your existing setup. Maybe not the rams but you can get there. Did you run memtest on the sticks...?

Last edited:
Solution
Mar 10, 2023
Get a matched ram kit...saves you the trouble with troubleshooting. Bright side of this is that with the latest BIOS now, you have access to pretty much any Ryzen CPU under the sun in the AM4 socket, and you probably can get to DDR-3600MHz with your existing setup. Maybe not the rams but you can get there. Did you run memtest on the sticks...?

Yeah, I see it now. Did not know that I would run into that kind of problem. i didn’t get the chance to run memtest on all of them because I could not even make the system POST with 2 of them. The other 2 are working just fine at 3600 MHz, wich makes me want to keep them, but running corsair ICue along with Google Chrome and Discord does take RAM usage to almost 60%. That is why I upgraded to 32gb at 2666MHz(maybe a bad decision to be honest) so games like MS Flight simulator would be happy.