xpPhone: The Smartphone That Runs Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Hard to be interested without more specs. What is it running, Intel Atom I assume. How much does it weigh with a small computer inside, and any idea on cost (though it couldn't be worse than an iPhone or a netbook).

I think there was supposed to be a link to another article?

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
If the performance is decent, then that would definitely be a gamer-changer in the smartphone market. The ability for a phone to run full operating system means that its configuration options, not to mention potential app market, are endless. I'll definitely be keeping my eyes out for more info on this puppy!

G

Full Desktop features in a portable, fits the palm of your hand form factor. I like it! With a portable projector or a an empty cubicle with an LCD monitor and a usb/bluetooth keyboard and mouse, the productivity options are endless! And for the techie on a desk-side support call - an Esata to USB adapter will permit you to connect an infected disk drive to scan and fix for viruses or backup data.

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
I've been waiting for years for a phone that can run a version of Windows. What service provider does it use? How much is it? How fast is it?

G

Probably running a Z series Atom, ultra slow,and low on battery life, as is expected from a heavy OS for cellphones, like Windows XP.
I bet it even will have difficulty running a game in Dosbox.

dasin88

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009
I can't imagine the battery life on this device is anything to write home about... A full operating system in my pocket would be really nice, but the risk of viruses and a 45 minute battery life are very unappealing.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
I think it's all about the apps- the iPhone's appeal to me is the variety of apps available. There are apps available for my WM phone but the OS makes it difficult to use when you have lots of apps loaded.

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
The reason the iphone works is that it was thought out from the ground up to be a good OS for a touch screen phone. I like XP, but the problem with a phone like this is that XP wasn't designed to be a phone OS, and just getting things to work on a device that small would be a real pain, esp with a qwerty keyboard on the thing.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]marcus_br[/nom]This legacy desktop OS and it's apps are light years ahead of any crap available on any smart phone now.This is the first smart phone that raised my interest since...they we're invented.Multithreading, endless support...endless options...that's a SMART phone, unlike your comment, which was pretty dumb[/citation]It's legacy compared to Vista and Windows 7. A 4.8in screen isn't exactly great for a desktop OS even if it is Windows XP Embedded (which may be what they're using).

G

just rubish! who wants a normal heavyweight os on his phone. No , THNX!
I bet it has an atom inside -> bye bye battery. (cannot be compared to an ARM core when it comes to power consumption)

jeverson

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
For thise to lazy to do as search on "pocketables xpphone"... here are the specs...

CPU: AMD Super Mobile CPU
Memory: 512mb/1Gb
SSD: 8Gb/16Gb/32Gb/64Gb
HDD: 30Gb/60Gb/80Gb/120Gb
LCD: 4.8" TFT Touch LCD 800x480
Wireless: 802.11 b/g
Camera: 1.3Mp

With these specs... I wonder if it will run Win7

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]marcus_br[/nom]Pretty stupid comment of yours.This legacy desktop OS and it's apps are light years ahead of any crap available on any smart phone now.[/citation]
How much of that do you need on a phone, though? Especially one that's probably going to be slow and clunky compared even to a netbook for battery life/heat reasons. Chances are if you need something that works with XP you won't need it on a phone (or even want it, with that tiny screen), and if it's just the functionality of a class of program you want (word processing for example), there'll probably be an app for it on other platforms like Linux/Android or the iPhone. I mean, it doesn't even look like a decent on-the-go Windows gaming device because of the tiny keyboard.

I'd probably need some examples before I'm convinced of its utility.

leo2kp

Distinguished
With Windows 7 battery life I wish Microsoft would make an "ultra lite" version of 7 that would run on a phone like this, maybe even the netbook version would run on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.