Question XPS 15 (9550) System lockup/Freeze after BIOS update

Aug 21, 2019
My 9550 was on its original BIOS from 2016, I think it's (01.02.10), everything was running just fine.

The issue began after I let SupportAssist update a bunch of things, and among them was an update to the latest BIOS released about a week ago (1.11.2).
After the update my system now freezes randomly and I have to do a hard-reset each time.

Here is everything I did to try and fix the issue that did not work:
  • Reset BIOS
  • Downgrade to older BIOS, even to the original one I had. It will say update failed (because of Intel ME), yet the BIOS version number changes in system information.
  • Wipe everything and install Windows again (from recovery partition).
  • Wipe everything and install Linux (Pop os).

Other notes: I noticed the issue is less frequent when AC is plugged in, so I disconnected the battery from the back but it still freezes. I also suspected it could be an SSD issue so I tried booting from a Live Linux USB and the system still freezes.

Any advise on this is really really appreciated as I'm very desperate to getting this fixed.

Aug 22, 2019
OK, do you have a fusion drive, or just an ssd? I had intermittent bsod issues until I went into bios and disabled the raid option for disk management (changed to ahci) You can't do this if you have a fusion disk as the HDD and SSD use raid. but if you have ssd only (or hdd I suppose) you can reset bios to disable raid and use ahci. I had done this on my system and a bios update reset the default to raid. This may help. I had to use windows driver verifier repeatedly to test solutions with dell tech support. This is the one that finally worked.