finm

Prominent
Oct 8, 2019
I recently bought a Dell XPS 15 9570 second-hand and the warranty has expired, so unfortunately unable to get a replacement. The problem is that about two thirds of the time, the CPU clock speed throttles to 0.79GHz and the whole system grinds to a near-halt: even using file explorer or a single browser tab is extremely laggy. I have researched this problem elsewhere and it is definitely a known issue (some kind of BIOS bug where the core temp is mistaken for being too high). One fix that has worked for other people is to take the battery out and put it back in. I bought the tools to do this and tried it, but it didn't work. Another suggestion was to apply thermal paste, which I have bought but have not yet tried because looking at the CPU temps, they rarely go over 50C, so it doesn't seem to me that overheating is a limiting factor, although I might be wrong? A final suggestion was to install ThrottleStop and disable the BD PROCHOT setting, but this has no effect: the CPU is still limiting at 0.79GHz (the reason given being 'PL1'). Speed Step and C-STATE already seem to have been disabled in BIOS, and although many people suggest uninstalling the 'Intel Dynamic Platform Thermal Framework', I can't find it on my system. I haven't yet tried reinstalling Windows, but reading other forum posts about the same issue, this hasn't fixed it for anybody. I would be very grateful for any help or ideas at all.

Specs: XPS 15 9570, i7 8750, 1050ti, 16GB, 4k
Happy to post any other relevant information.

FirstNewbie

Commendable
Mar 29, 2017
Hi,

Long story short, to solve your problem, and you've even mentioned it yourself, download "Intel Dynamic Platform Thermal Framework" and reboot the system after the install is complete. This should solve the issue.

I had the same issue with my XPS 15 9570 where the CPU refused to run any faster than .78ghz. I tried disconnecting the battery and all those methods but non worked. After reinstalling windows everything worked just fine for almost 24h and then suddenly the CPU just clocked down to .78 and refused to move. I ran a lot of troubleshooting and found out some really interesting stuff that could solve some other issues people have with XPS in general.

It boils down to windows causing your cpu to think its overheating and it starts to throttle (you can see this when starting AIDA64 stress test, it says "CPU throttling detected" even before you start the test, this is what made me go into thinking its a software issue causing sensors to misinterpreted.

After maybe a good 2 days of testing every Removed thing a simple program that already should've been on my PC was missing and causing the sensors to go haywire.

Hopefully this helps you!

https://www.dell.com/support/home/se/sv/sebsdt1/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=cvrp9
Here is a Swedish link to the download.

Last edited by a moderator: