BCool777

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
My daughter was using it one night, and all of the sudden it just went black! Could you please tell me some of the causes? The only thing that works on it now is the cooling fan!

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
It could be a lot of things... from the power supply to the motherboard.

My bet its the PSU, but we really have no way of knowing over the internet. I would suggest you find a local PC repair shop--they will be cheaper than taking it to a major business.

Someone that has PC parts lying around could probably try a different PSU and let you know if thats the problem.... (although i must admit that I recently gave up on a PC much like this after trying a different PSU changed nothing)

(Also this probably shouldnt have been in the graphic section.)

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
It depends on what part it is and we have no way of knowing. If the power supply died and took the system with it it could be everything and would cost too much to replace.
If its just the power supply it could be $40.
If its just the motherboard it could be around $90.

I would suggest that you find a PC repair place and have them determine what is wrong. Then, get a cost estimate with them--complete with the parts they intend to use and bring it back here. Tom's members will be able to tell you if they are trying to rip you off or if the repair is worth it.