Xps 400 Pentium D GPU without bottleneck

mptaatamt2014

Prominent
Nov 25, 2017
Looking to upgrade my GPU in my xps 400 without a bottleneck, and my ideas are the stock gpu (Pentium d bottlenecks everything) 8800 gts, or 750 ti. What should I get?

Solution
FYI: The Nvidia 10 series does not support Windows XP drivers. The last series that supported windows XP is the 9 series. Since the GTX 950 requires a 6 pin PCIe connector, the highest end GPU that I would consider is a 750 Ti. Your Pentium D 2.8 GHz will undoubtedly be bottlenecked by any recent GPU, as even a $60 kabylake Pentium G4560 is 5 times the performance of your CPU: http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Pentium-G4560-vs-Intel-Pentium-D-280GHz/3892vsm267

Used on Ebay a 750 Ti commands a price of $70 USD. I didn't see you mention which games that you're trying to play, but I recommend that you remain conservative with your expectations.

If I were you: In your situation, I would buy a used Dell or Lenovo...

That limits you to games up to 2007-2008. With some exceptions of course. A pentium d would still hold back a 8800gts but the main problem is the old psu. However I would get a gtx 750ti or even a 1050 so you can reuse it in a new system or simply not get anything now and save up for a new system.

There's always going to be a bottleneck, so don't focus on that so much.

The question is which GPU you should get, considering the age of your system and the CPU. My answer is the GT 710. It's low cost, uses low power, is compatible, is still supported in drivers, and can run the appropriate games.

A pentium d will almost bottleneck any graphics card in the mid tier or higher released after 2009. I recommended a 1050 since you can carry that over to a new system and won't be thrown away money. If you want something cheap and low power a gtx 650 down to a gt 630 would be great and those don't cost much used.

mptaatamt2014

Prominent
Nov 25, 2017
I'm keeping the system as-is when I put the gpu in, so gpu stays, that's why I said without bottleneck
Also, I have to keep Windows XP unless I can use the XP key to upgrade to Windows 7

FYI: The Nvidia 10 series does not support Windows XP drivers. The last series that supported windows XP is the 9 series. Since the GTX 950 requires a 6 pin PCIe connector, the highest end GPU that I would consider is a 750 Ti. Your Pentium D 2.8 GHz will undoubtedly be bottlenecked by any recent GPU, as even a $60 kabylake Pentium G4560 is 5 times the performance of your CPU: http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Pentium-G4560-vs-Intel-Pentium-D-280GHz/3892vsm267

Used on Ebay a 750 Ti commands a price of $70 USD. I didn't see you mention which games that you're trying to play, but I recommend that you remain conservative with your expectations.

If I were you: In your situation, I would buy a used Dell or Lenovo prebuilt off Ebay for $100 - $125 with a four year old i5 CPU and 8 GB of DDR3 RAM. Then I would add a used 750 Ti, or EVGA b-stock (factory recertified) 1050 Ti. That's what I would do.

One more thing: If you are absolutely determined to stay with your Dell XPS 400, then send me a private message on Tom's. I "might" have some spare DDR2 memory laying around my lab that I could send you.

Solution

A pentium d will bottleneck even a hd 2900. It will massively bottleneck a hd 5970. However your psu is in no way capable of handeling ANY powerhungry cards. That's why I suggested some old low end cards that are not power hungry.

As stated before getting a cheap dell from ebay with something like an i5 2400 is going to be far far better than what you have now and even with the integrated graphics it's going to be able to play most games the pentium d can handle. Then if you add in a gpu you can even play most modern games.