Xps 410 Graphics Card Recommendations

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
G

Hey, I know this is sort of a repeat question and I apologize. I've been trying to sift through forums and the net for hours, so I figure I'd ask here.

I'm trying to find a sub $100 graphics card to upgrade to in my Dell XPS 410. It has 4gb ram and a 375w psu.
I think it has the Radeon x1300 series in it now, which is junk (256mb)

What is a good card that I can run safely on the 375w psu, as I don't wish to mess with upgrading this at the time. The upgraded card will be used for gaming (Starcraft 2, Diablo III, Wow). I've found a lot of graphics cards sub $100 but the whole 375w throws me off.

In addition, a general question. When a graphics card says, for example min psu 300w, is that taking into account the other components added into your computer, or is a 300 min recomendation going to overheat a 375w psu?

Thanks in advanced

Solution
the OP does not need a new PSU, the 410 comes with a 375w PSU that can easily push a 4850/5750/5770/GTS250. I have an XPS 410 that is currently running a GTS 250 with the stock 375w PSU.

Picture003.jpg

here is a nice 250 that wont break the bank :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127495&cm_re=GTS_250-_-14-127-495-_-Product

don't bother with the 1Gb model as it performs the same as the 512mb version.
try to copy my curve, then test the curve with any game that you might have. You will hear the fan spool up depending on the GPU temp. Then once out of the game look at the graph, you should have several readings that will give you a better idea of what is going on during game-play. Leave it at default 5000ms, no need to adjust that.

leave the sliders alone for now, later when you have adjusted the curve to your preference you can start raising the clocks in increments.

RowdyLeprechaun

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
Ok I got one set... Keeps it to 38 when just in Win7 and about 52 in Sc2 with ultra graphics.. that ok?

Also.. I tried to get afterburner to start when windows starts (does the program need to start with windows to use the fan curve i set?)... and i set it to run as admin.. but it keeps popping up a window and i have to hit allow for it to run.. any suggestions?

that's perfect ;)

Leave it enabled if you do not want to go through the stress of clicking on the icon every time you are going to play. I normally leave it enabled since its more convenient.

in order for that "allow" box to NEVER appear again you need to disable your UAC:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-user-account-control-uac-the-easy-way-on-windows-vista/