XPS 8300 GTX560 sli or GTX 580

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuririn879

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
I just bought a XPS 8300 i7 2600 computer and I want to run a two monitor setup
for gaming for me and for my wife to do a lot of photo editing with photoshop and paintshop pro. I had a 35% off coupon so It was only 150 bucks to upgrade to the 560gtx ti. I mainly am planning on playing swtor on max setting 2 monitors. My question is should I go SLI with another gtx 560 ti or should I sell the gtx 560 ti and buy a gtx 580? I dont know if they will even fit in the case for the 8300. For the PSU it has a 460W power supply, which is rated by the very conservative Dell standard of continuous power. Will I have to buy a new PSU either way? Will I have any problems with heat if I am not going to OC the cards? Thanks in advance.

Ed

xx_pemdas_xx

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
Your PSU is to small to do SLI berly enough for 560 ti. ( req 550w)

560ti SLI is better then a single 580. (10%)
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/311542-33-560ti

It seems like with a 580 you need a new PSU anyway, getting 560 ti is cheaper and you will end up with better performance ( since you already have one) ---------edit------- the computer you bought only supports a single graphics card (one pci-e x16 slot) so a gtx580 is your only option out of the two.
http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-8300/pd

xx_pemdas_xx

Distinguished
May 23, 2011

SLI works without an SLI bridge (with smaller bandwidth) so does crossfire. as long as the Nvidia cards have same amount of memory and same core they can SLI. if there is no SLI bridge adapter its going to take a huge performance hit. (off topic because he can't run SLI)

He wanted to run double monitors, so when the graphics cards are SLI they can only use a single monitor. On the other hand his motherboard does not support dual graphics cards.

Performance wise hes better finding the longest and most powerful card he can fit ( 570, 6970, 580)

xx_pemdas_xx

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
I think you should just keep what you have, for some reason I was thinking the oblivion is the game you were talking about...
Your computer could handle starwars the old republic on max settings easy... heres req

What are the system requirements for the game?
Processor:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better
you have a 2600k, secound ever to 2700k
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz or better
Operating System:
Windows XP or later
windows 7...
RAM:

Windows XP: 1.5GB RAM
Windows Vista and Windows 7: 2GB RAM
Note: PCs using a built-in graphical chipset are recommended to have 2GB of RAM.
does not really matter because 2gb is needed for windows 7 so im assuming you have it...

Star Wars: The Old Republic requires a video card that has a minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM as well as support for Shader 3.0 or better. Examples include:

ATI X1800 or better
nVidia 7800 or better
Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better
umm.. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-radeon-hd-6870-geforce-gtx-570,2834-7.html 560ti way better then those. good hint, anytime something requires intel graphics, it means that any graphics card will run it because intel graphics are the slowest cards out there.
DVD-ROM drive – 8x speed or better (required for installation from physical editions only) Internet connection required to play.

Also the 560ti already supports dual monitors. your computer could handle 2 monitor gaming.... but its the lamest idea ever, its usualy prefered for triple monitor ( AMD) because the game is split into two parts.

It's also not entirely correct as well as being OT, my 8800GT's would not run in SLi without the bridge fitted and I wouldn't be surprised if my GTX560's failed to SLi without the bridge. So which SLi rig have you experimented with?

xx_pemdas_xx

Distinguished
May 23, 2011

I have used the 9 serires... AMD afterthat. as i said before it does not matter because his mobo does not support SLI

coldest

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011

SLI or not really doesn't matter to the OP now, since his MOBO only has one spot. his only option to buy a gtx 580 or keep the 560. and make sure to get a 600w+ psu if you're getting a 580

Bad info is bad info, the originator of which is stating that it doesn't matter. So why did you bother in the first place? :heink:

xx_pemdas_xx

Distinguished
May 23, 2011

I have researched SLI... I was assuming that because OP had wanted dual GPUs "and wanted to know if dual 580 would fit" I assumed he ment that the physical length. Afterwords i edited the post and corrected my mistake. I told him to keep his current setup because it can easily do what he wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS