XPS 8700 Motherboard 0KWVT8 KWVT8 Z87 Corrupted BIOS during BIOS update?

Focalpoint

Reputable
Feb 8, 2016
Ok, I know, NEVER upgrade your BIOS, ever. Well I was prompted by the Dell upgrade/fix it utility at start up and went for it. About halfway through the process, it shuts my computer down, and I wait... and wait... and wait. Nothing. I power it off and on, and it will turn on the case fan, the CPU fan, and the amber LED on the mobo, but the keyboard will not light up, and there's no display. IE: it never reaches post. After about 5-10 seconds it reboots and continues this cycle.

So far I've tried checking to see if it was a coincidental RAM failure. Pulled out all the sticks and the mobo beeps when I boot it up. Mobo is still ok. All sticks swapped in produce no different results. I assume they're all ok.

I've tried removing the mobo battery and seeing if it will clear the BIOS settings and restart, No dice.

I've tried playing with the RTCRST jumper and moved it from position 2-3 to 1-2 and nothing.

How can I fix this? It's evident that I need to reset the BIOS to factory settings, but I'm not quite sure how and with what. Can anyone shed light?

Solution
Well, the only time I would update a bios is when the update is necessary to system stability ...always make sure to be on an uninterruptible battery backup as well...

powering it off and on manually stopped the bios flash process half way through which corrupted the bios, if you have a removable bios chip you can order one from Dell but I doubt you do. You are most likely looking at purchasing a new motherboard for that machine..

ExtremelyGeeky

Reputable
Jan 2, 2016
Well, the only time I would update a bios is when the update is necessary to system stability ...always make sure to be on an uninterruptible battery backup as well...

powering it off and on manually stopped the bios flash process half way through which corrupted the bios, if you have a removable bios chip you can order one from Dell but I doubt you do. You are most likely looking at purchasing a new motherboard for that machine..

Solution

Focalpoint

Reputable
Feb 8, 2016
Just to update, I went ahead and ordered a second-hand mobo from eBay, swapped over everything from the old mobo, reinstalled, and it worked fine. BIOS was corrupted, which sucks because the update was forced down my throat by Dell.