Sep 23, 2019
Hey!

I am currently trying to upgrade my graphics card on my XPS 9100, I don't know a lot about computers but I found a nice graphics card that my friend recommended online for a cheap price.

It is a GeForce GTX 1050 2gb card.

My current card is a ATI Radeon 5700 (a good ol boy) and it really can't handle any graphics heavy games.

As I was doing my research I realized that the GTX is a PCI 3.0 and the Radeon is a PCI 2.0. As I don't know much about computers I'm just wondering if this GTX will be compatible with my mother board, and I won't be wasting my money.

To give an idea of what else is in my computer, I currently have i7 Intel Processor and 16 GB or ram. The only thing I could think as being the problem is the graphics card. Which would make sense, as it is quite old.

I'd really appreciate any help I can get, thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
PCIE 3.0 gpus are backwards compatible with pcie x16 2.0 motherboard slots.
GTX 1050 will work, but are you buying this new, or used? If buying used, you need to watch out for fakes lying in the mix.
If you're buying used, post the links to the cards and we can help you determine if they're legit or not.
Sep 23, 2019
What motherboard do you have? What PSU do you have?

I believe that the mother board is a strange custom motherboard used for dell computers. My father told me this pc came in one big set. The most likely answer I can find is an Intel X58 Chipset.

I am currently searching for an answer for the PSU, but I do know it's 525W.

Thank you for replying. :D

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
GTX 1050 will work, but are you buying this new, or used? If buying used, you need to watch out for fakes lying in the mix.
If you're buying used, post the links to the cards and we can help you determine if they're legit or not.

Solution
Sep 23, 2019

I am buying this used; however, it is from a ebay seller that has over 2500 positive reviews.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainpcparts?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.c10

That link leads to the sellers ebay page.