XPs Restore or Backup data?

If I do image backups and daily incrementals using Ghost, Is there a
reason I should keep the XP System restore feature on? I do a baseline once
a month and then daily incrementals with Ghost 9.

Turns out, if I have the XP Restore on, then Ghost wont do incrementals,
only the large baseline backups and thats uses up a lot of space when
backing every day. I have 44gb on my drive..

My thought is that doing it by Ghost means I restore everything, even apps
from the date chosen, whereas XP Restore only restores system data...drivers
and such. So the only problem may be a longer restore from my backup drive
vesus using the XP Restore.

What do you think?

jtsnow wrote:
> If I do image backups and daily incrementals using Ghost, Is there a
> reason I should keep the XP System restore feature on? I do a baseline once
> a month and then daily incrementals with Ghost 9.

Apples & oranges - I would leave System Restore ON.

wow..brilliant..can I have the title of your book....if its as good as your
comments.....

"Sparky Spartacus" <Sparky@spartacus.galaxy.org> wrote in message
> jtsnow wrote:
>> If I do image backups and daily incrementals using Ghost, Is there a
>> reason I should keep the XP System restore feature on? I do a baseline
>> once a month and then daily incrementals with Ghost 9.
>
> Apples & oranges - I would leave System Restore ON.

"No" from me.

jtsnow wrote:
> If I do image backups and daily incrementals using Ghost, Is there
> reason I should keep the XP System restore feature on? I do a
> baseline once a month and then daily incrementals with Ghost 9.
>
> Turns out, if I have the XP Restore on, then Ghost wont do
> incrementals, only the large baseline backups and thats uses up a
lot
> of space when backing every day. I have 44gb on my drive..
>
> My thought is that doing it by Ghost means I restore everything,
even
> apps from the date chosen, whereas XP Restore only restores system
> data...drivers and such. So the only problem may be a longer
restore
> from my backup drive vesus using the XP Restore.
>
> What do you think?

I think this an interesting question.
I intend to switch from win 2000 to win XP and considered the same
solution as which you mention.
It's a pity there's no decent reaction ....

jtsnow wrote:
> If I do image backups and daily incrementals using Ghost, Is there a
> reason I should keep the XP System restore feature on? I do a baseline once
> a month and then daily incrementals with Ghost 9.
>
> Turns out, if I have the XP Restore on, then Ghost wont do incrementals,
> only the large baseline backups and thats uses up a lot of space when
> backing every day. I have 44gb on my drive..
>
> My thought is that doing it by Ghost means I restore everything, even apps
> from the date chosen, whereas XP Restore only restores system data...drivers
> and such. So the only problem may be a longer restore from my backup drive
> vesus using the XP Restore.
>
> What do you think?

In my opinion, if you regularly back up your data then you have little
reason to leave system restore on. Personally I've had little success
with system restore (but fortunately never had a real reason to use it).
I generally leave it off, unless I need to install a new critical
update.

"Nicholas Andrade" <sdnick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> jtsnow wrote:
>> If I do image backups and daily incrementals using Ghost, Is there a
>> reason I should keep the XP System restore feature on? I do a baseline
>> once a month and then daily incrementals with Ghost 9.
>>
>> Turns out, if I have the XP Restore on, then Ghost wont do incrementals,
>> only the large baseline backups and thats uses up a lot of space when
>> backing every day. I have 44gb on my drive..
>>
>> My thought is that doing it by Ghost means I restore everything, even
>> apps from the date chosen, whereas XP Restore only restores system
>> data...drivers and such. So the only problem may be a longer restore
>> from my backup drive vesus using the XP Restore.
>>
>> What do you think?
> In my opinion, if you regularly back up your data then you have little
> reason to leave system restore on. Personally I've had little success
> with system restore (but fortunately never had a real reason to use it). I
> generally leave it off, unless I need to install a new critical update.

I have the oppositve opinion. System restore has a very unique role. If
you install a new driver that is bad, System Restore will save you very
easily without having to do any kind of complex Ghost restore.

Well worth it for the peace of mind.

Tom

Tom Scales wrote:

> I have the oppositve opinion. System restore has a very unique role. If
> you install a new driver that is bad, System Restore will save you very
> easily without having to do any kind of complex Ghost restore.
>
> Well worth it for the peace of mind.
>
> Tom

Is that a reason to leave it on all the time? Honestly, how often do
you need to install new drivers? Personally I can see it as useful if
you install risky software (eg. a lot of beta softwate, etc.), but if
you run a clean stable system then there's little point. I've ran XP
stablely on a system without problems or need to reinstall for literally
years and almost never turn on system restore.

Nicholas Andrade wrote:

> Tom Scales wrote:
> >
> > I have the oppositve opinion. System restore has a very unique role. If
> > you install a new driver that is bad, System Restore will save you very
> > easily without having to do any kind of complex Ghost restore.
> >
> > Well worth it for the peace of mind.
> >
> > Tom
> >

> Is that a reason to leave it on all the time? Honestly, how often do
> you need to install new drivers? Personally I can see it as useful if
> you install risky software (eg. a lot of beta softwate, etc.), but if
> you run a clean stable system then there's little point. I've ran XP
> stablely on a system without problems or need to reinstall for literally
> years and almost never turn on system restore.

These days, little, if any, software should be considered non-risky.

If you peruse the newsgroups, tons of people are having problems
with software conflicts, immediately after installs of, even the
best, software.

While programs, such as Ghost, are great for daily backups, the
System Restore function is your real-time safety net.

Notan

> Tom Scales wrote:
>>
>> I have the oppositve opinion. System restore has a very unique role. If
>> you install a new driver that is bad, System Restore will save you very
>> easily without having to do any kind of complex Ghost restore.
>>
>> Well worth it for the peace of mind.
>>
>> Tom
> Is that a reason to leave it on all the time? Honestly, how often do you
> need to install new drivers? Personally I can see it as useful if you
> install risky software (eg. a lot of beta softwate, etc.), but if you run
> a clean stable system then there's little point. I've ran XP stablely on
> a system without problems or need to reinstall for literally years and
> almost never turn on system restore.

Why not? A little disk space --- which is cheap.

I needed it with something as simple as video drivers.

Tom

Nicholas Andrade <sdnick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote:
>How often do
>you need to install new drivers? Personally I can see it as useful if
>you install risky software (eg. a lot of beta softwate, etc.)

Well, if you include driver updates and Windows Updates, it seems like
I'm doing them all the time!

I'd say leave System restore on for the peace of mind and the ability
to back out of unwise software decisions, as it doesn't use much
space, and _never_ forgets to make a restore point.

Nicholas Andrade wrote:
> jtsnow wrote:
>
>> If I do image backups and daily incrementals using Ghost, Is there a
>> reason I should keep the XP System restore feature on? I do a
>> baseline once a month and then daily incrementals with Ghost 9.
>>
>> Turns out, if I have the XP Restore on, then Ghost wont do
>> incrementals, only the large baseline backups and thats uses up a lot
>> of space when backing every day. I have 44gb on my drive..
>>
>> My thought is that doing it by Ghost means I restore everything, even
>> apps from the date chosen, whereas XP Restore only restores system
>> data...drivers and such. So the only problem may be a longer restore
>> from my backup drive vesus using the XP Restore.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
> In my opinion, if you regularly back up your data then you have little
> reason to leave system restore on. Personally I've had little success
> with system restore (but fortunately never had a real reason to use it).
> I generally leave it off, unless I need to install a new critical update.

This is where opinions differ - I have used System Restore successfully
several times to roll back. Its value IMHO is that it's independent of
one's data (which I backup separately).

YMMV, of course.

Tom Scales wrote:
> "Nicholas Andrade" <sdnick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>jtsnow wrote:
>>
>>>If I do image backups and daily incrementals using Ghost, Is there a
>>>reason I should keep the XP System restore feature on? I do a baseline
>>>once a month and then daily incrementals with Ghost 9.
>>>
>>>Turns out, if I have the XP Restore on, then Ghost wont do incrementals,
>>>only the large baseline backups and thats uses up a lot of space when
>>>backing every day. I have 44gb on my drive..
>>>
>>>My thought is that doing it by Ghost means I restore everything, even
>>>apps from the date chosen, whereas XP Restore only restores system
>>>data...drivers and such. So the only problem may be a longer restore
>>>from my backup drive vesus using the XP Restore.
>>>
>>>What do you think?
>>
>>In my opinion, if you regularly back up your data then you have little
>>reason to leave system restore on. Personally I've had little success
>>with system restore (but fortunately never had a real reason to use it). I
>>generally leave it off, unless I need to install a new critical update.
>
> I have the oppositve opinion. System restore has a very unique role. If
> you install a new driver that is bad, System Restore will save you very
> easily without having to do any kind of complex Ghost restore.
>
> Well worth it for the peace of mind.

Exactly! Tom put it better than I did, but we have the same idea.

Re: the previous poster's comment - I can't tell reliably in advance
which update will turn out to be critical.

Dogface wrote:
> I've used SYstem Restore to recover from the installtion of Microsoft
> Updates that slowed the system down dramatically. Restored and the system
> was back to normal.
>
> I'd leave it ON and consider it your first line of defense. Space is cheap.
> Piece of mind is priceless...

Uh, oh, Dogface & I agree on something - isn't that one of the 7 signs
of the end of the world?

:)

Tom Scales wrote:
> "Nicholas Andrade" <sdnick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Tom Scales wrote:
>>
>>>I have the oppositve opinion. System restore has a very unique role. If
>>>you install a new driver that is bad, System Restore will save you very
>>>easily without having to do any kind of complex Ghost restore.
>>>
>>>Well worth it for the peace of mind.
>>>
>>>Tom
>>
>>Is that a reason to leave it on all the time? Honestly, how often do you
>>need to install new drivers? Personally I can see it as useful if you
>>install risky software (eg. a lot of beta softwate, etc.), but if you run
>>a clean stable system then there's little point. I've ran XP stablely on
>>a system without problems or need to reinstall for literally years and
>>almost never turn on system restore.
>

> Why not? A little disk space --- which is cheap.
>
> I needed it with something as simple as video drivers.
>
> Tom

That may the case for desktops, but on a laptop disk space is limited
and hardware is fixed, I see no reason to use it.

As a restore agent, WinXP System Restore is good, but nowhere in the league
of Ghost. For redundancy purpose it's reasonable to use both but as System
Restore stops your Ghost from working properly, I'd turn it off. Ghost is by
far the better backup medium. It restores to a complete previous state.
System restore doesn't do this.

Brian

"jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> If I do image backups and daily incrementals using Ghost, Is there a
> reason I should keep the XP System restore feature on? I do a baseline
> once a month and then daily incrementals with Ghost 9.
>
> Turns out, if I have the XP Restore on, then Ghost wont do incrementals,
> only the large baseline backups and thats uses up a lot of space when
> backing every day. I have 44gb on my drive..
>
> My thought is that doing it by Ghost means I restore everything, even apps
> from the date chosen, whereas XP Restore only restores system
> data...drivers and such. So the only problem may be a longer restore from
> my backup drive vesus using the XP Restore.
>
> What do you think?

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 10:54:55 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
wrote:

>"Nicholas Andrade" <sdnick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> jtsnow wrote:
>>> If I do image backups and daily incrementals using Ghost, Is there a
>>> reason I should keep the XP System restore feature on? I do a baseline
>>> once a month and then daily incrementals with Ghost 9.
>>>
>>> Turns out, if I have the XP Restore on, then Ghost wont do incrementals,
>>> only the large baseline backups and thats uses up a lot of space when
>>> backing every day. I have 44gb on my drive..
>>>
>>> My thought is that doing it by Ghost means I restore everything, even
>>> apps from the date chosen, whereas XP Restore only restores system
>>> data...drivers and such. So the only problem may be a longer restore
>>> from my backup drive vesus using the XP Restore.
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>> In my opinion, if you regularly back up your data then you have little
>> reason to leave system restore on. Personally I've had little success
>> with system restore (but fortunately never had a real reason to use it). I
>> generally leave it off, unless I need to install a new critical update.
>
>I have the oppositve opinion. System restore has a very unique role. If
>you install a new driver that is bad, System Restore will save you very
>easily without having to do any kind of complex Ghost restore.
>
>Well worth it for the peace of mind.
>
>Tom

I also use Ghost 9. For a minor restore (like testing something that
modifies the registry) it easier to just restore with a couple of
button clicks. For a major screw-up (been there, done that) the Ghost
image is invaluable.

The cost per gigabyte of HD space these days is so low a restore
folder is inconsequential.

Dave