XPSP2 machine runs slow in Terminal Server

Making a VPN to the network and then a Remote Desktop Connection to
the Windows 2000 Terminal Server. Connects ok, but software all runs
slow. No issues with processors at all on either the local or the
client.

Tested both dial-up and dsl with no change. Software just comes up
ultra slow (~ 30 sec to five minutes a window).

Implimented Q884020 for no change. I think SP2 is the culprit.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks,

Michael Paniak

Hello

Well try removing sp2 and run the same process again and
see what you get, can't hurt

al

Michael Paniak wrote:

> Making a VPN to the network and then a Remote Desktop Connection to
> the Windows 2000 Terminal Server. Connects ok, but software all runs
> slow. No issues with processors at all on either the local or the
> client.
>
> Tested both dial-up and dsl with no change. Software just comes up
> ultra slow (~ 30 sec to five minutes a window).
>
> Implimented Q884020 for no change. I think SP2 is the culprit.
>
> Any ideas out there?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael Paniak

> Well try removing sp2 and run the same process again and
> see what you get, can't hurt
>
> al

Al,

Thanks for replying. I did infact try that. I installed an XP Pro
with no service packs and no patches. No help.

I did test the machines if they are on our domain and then do a RDC to
the Terminal Server. Works fine. But if they are on high speed or
dialup I get the slow response after connecting. I tested a Windows
2000 machine out and it connects and runs just fine.

I am almost positive that when I did initial testing with XP that it
ran ok through VPN and then an RDC to TS.

Anyone else experience this?

Zeus

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2004

You may want to go to www.speedguide.net and try some of their XP Tweaks...I
personally downloaded their Optimizer and changed some settings that helped
speed up my access online and downloading from the internet. It requires
changing some registry values just make sure you back it up before
proceeding...

The tweaks are ok, but not a solution. Again I can run RDC fine if I
am on the inside of the network. But if I have to connect first to my
ISP and then VPN in before RDC to TS the login goes smooth but then
once the desktop loads everything grinds to a slow halt.