XT, GS, GT, LE, etc.

Sapien

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
What do these mean? I've heard that XT is eXtended Technology, GS is Graphics Simularor, GT is Graphics Terminal, and I dont't know what LE means. I've searched on Wiki but I can't find what they mean. If you know what they mean can you describe them?

Blacken

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2004
Heh heh heh. No.

The extensions label the power of the card in correlation to a car - ya know?
LE - grandma drives this, G(T)S - power windows and sport suspension, GT(X) - leather heated seats, racing suspension and a supercharger.

Relates to ATI's PRO - GT - XT - XTX. Easy as that. Yet through the generations, ATI has confused their extensions a bit.

truromeo4juliet

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
What do these mean? I've heard that XT is eXtended Technology, GS is Graphics Simularor, GT is Graphics Terminal, and I dont't know what LE means. I've searched on Wiki but I can't find what they mean. If you know what they mean can you describe them?

I would assume LE stands for "Light Edition" (since it doesn't ever come with many features" or "limited edition"... since it's feature pack is very.. well... limited... :)

Blacken

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2004
Well, I know they're used to differentiate between different models; but what do they stand for?

Basicaly nothing. They are empty (as I know) - the tags could be stars, numbers, or smiley faces based on performance. It's a rating system.
LE stands for "I work a desolate street corner 1 mile from a strip club and can't afford a..." GS; which means "I work outside a strip club but still can't afford a..." GT; which means "I work inside the strip club and get paid very well.".

Primitivus

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
The suffixes are arbitrary. They don't mean anything in particular, or sometimes they mean what each company wants them to mean. But in the never ending struggle between ATI and NVidia to increase their market share, the suffixes only manage to confuse consumers. For instance, when ATI named its highest performing card XT (9800XT), NVidia used the same suffix for a lackluster card to imply that XT was nothing really special (6800XT). And the same thing happened with GT (Nvidia 6800GT vs ATI X800GT for example).

TRENDING THREADS