XT983 Repair Q, what am I forgetting?

Mike

Splendid

This PC is just driving me nuts...

I'm working on my dads XT983 (Wal-Mart special). The story is that one
minute it was fine, then he left for about 30 minutes, and when he
came back, no video and the computer isn't responding. When you
restart it, you hear the fans and HDD click on, but you do not hear
the normal beep sequence; implying, of course, that the computer isn't
making it that far.

The monitor is the one that came with the PC. It has an orange light
when there's no video signal, and turns green when it gets a signal.
On this computer, it stays orange now.

I've literally replaced everything I can think of, and it hasn't fixed
the problem. Here is a list of everything I've done:

1. unhooked all externals except for the monitor and power

2. unhooked all internal cards and cables except for HDD and power
supply

3. replaced mobo and CPU with new (the video card is built in to the
mobo)

4. plugged in a power supply that I know works

5. plugged in RAM that I know is OK

6. replaced the HDD cable

7. plugged in an HDD that I know works

Of course, one of the first things I did was check the monitor, and it
seems OK on a different computer. But I've replaced mobo, CPU, RAM,
power supply, HDD, and cables, all with no effect. Isn't that pretty
much everything that CAN be replaced??

I haven't replaced the switch, but it seems logical that the switch
must be OK since the mobo is getting the "on" signal.

Any thoughts on what else I can do, or what I've forgotten to check?

TIA,

Mike

The graphic card, you can put another PCI graphic card on your motherboard,
it muss be Ok, i think. By the way, don't forget to switch off the viodeo
card on your mainboard.

"Mike" <csdude@hotmail.com> ????
> This PC is just driving me nuts...
>
> I'm working on my dads XT983 (Wal-Mart special). The story is that one
> minute it was fine, then he left for about 30 minutes, and when he
> came back, no video and the computer isn't responding. When you
> restart it, you hear the fans and HDD click on, but you do not hear
> the normal beep sequence; implying, of course, that the computer isn't
> making it that far.
>
> The monitor is the one that came with the PC. It has an orange light
> when there's no video signal, and turns green when it gets a signal.
> On this computer, it stays orange now.
>
> I've literally replaced everything I can think of, and it hasn't fixed
> the problem. Here is a list of everything I've done:
>
> 1. unhooked all externals except for the monitor and power
>
> 2. unhooked all internal cards and cables except for HDD and power
> supply
>
> 3. replaced mobo and CPU with new (the video card is built in to the
> mobo)
>
> 4. plugged in a power supply that I know works
>
> 5. plugged in RAM that I know is OK
>
> 6. replaced the HDD cable
>
> 7. plugged in an HDD that I know works
>

> Of course, one of the first things I did was check the monitor, and it
> seems OK on a different computer. But I've replaced mobo, CPU, RAM,
> power supply, HDD, and cables, all with no effect. Isn't that pretty
> much everything that CAN be replaced??
>
> I haven't replaced the switch, but it seems logical that the switch
> must be OK since the mobo is getting the "on" signal.
>
> Any thoughts on what else I can do, or what I've forgotten to check?
>
> TIA,
>
> Mike

Mike

Splendid

> The graphic card, you can put another PCI graphic card on your motherboard,
> it muss be Ok, i think. By the way, don't forget to switch off the viodeo
> card on your mainboard.

Thanks for the advice. When I replaced the motherboard, the new one
had a built-in video card (just like the original), and this still
didn't help.

Any other suggestions?

Mike

jp

Do check out the powersupply.
Very often the ps delivers enough power to get the system running but just
not enough for the video card (even build in ones).
Had the same problem very recently.

Jan

"Mike" <csdude@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I'm working on my dads XT983 (Wal-Mart special). The story is that one
> minute it was fine, then he left for about 30 minutes, and when he
> came back, no video and the computer isn't responding. When you
> restart it, you hear the fans and HDD click on, but you do not hear
> the normal beep sequence; implying, of course, that the computer isn't
> making it that far.

Okay, the first think the computer should do is beep, you get no beep.

> The monitor is the one that came with the PC. It has an orange light
> when there's no video signal, and turns green when it gets a signal.
> On this computer, it stays orange now.

Doesn't matter, you get no beep. Video comes later.

> I've literally replaced everything I can think of, and it hasn't fixed
> the problem. Here is a list of everything I've done:
>
> 1. unhooked all externals except for the monitor and power
>
> 2. unhooked all internal cards and cables except for HDD and power
> supply

Why not unhook the HDD? The system doesn't beep, and it can beep without
a hard drive.

> 3. replaced mobo and CPU with new (the video card is built in to the
> mobo)

Can you get just this mobo to work?

> 4. plugged in a power supply that I know works
>
> 5. plugged in RAM that I know is OK
>
> 6. replaced the HDD cable
>
> 7. plugged in an HDD that I know works

Forget the HDD. Try going the other way. Replace a working system's
components with ones from the bad system one by one.

> Of course, one of the first things I did was check the monitor, and it
> seems OK on a different computer.

Doesn't matter. A bad monitor won't keep the mobo from POSTing.

> But I've replaced mobo, CPU, RAM,
> power supply, HDD, and cables, all with no effect. Isn't that pretty
> much everything that CAN be replaced??

Fine, so replace everything and you'll have two computers. ;)

> Any thoughts on what else I can do, or what I've forgotten to check?

You need to test each piece, not each "everything but one piece". You
could easily have fried both your mobo or your CPU or both your power supply
and your mobo. This is *very* common, especially on older mobos with
capacitors with bad electrolyte.
DS

i am having the same problem. some one told me to switch the reset jumer ro
reset something. i am not the computer wise. could anyone tell me where
the jumper is? or how i can fix this computer without spending an arm and
a leg. thanx