Xubuntu vs UNE

DodoSerebro

Honorable
Jun 17, 2013
Good Morning

I have a netbook Asus EEE 1025C with 1.86Ghz and 4GB RAM (I upgraded it)

I am currently using Windows 7 Ultimate but due to Software development and the Netbook's slow specs I wish to change it to Linux.

What I am confused with is whether I should go for Xubuntu or UNE (Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx).
I remember installing Ubuntu 11 but it just crashed, and so although 10.04 is officially supported, with my specifications which should be the best version?

CPU: Intel® Atom™ N2900 (Dual Core; 1.6GHz) Processor

RAM: 4GB
GPU: GMA 3600

Thanks

Solution
LUbuntu is the most lightweight. The desktop is very simple and it comes with the fewest packages preinstalled. XUbuntu is also on the lightweight side, but has a few more features than LUbuntu. You can probably find hundreds of pages written about the performance of one versus the other, but the reality is both are very lightweight and should run smoothly on your machine. In fact even Ubuntu with the full Unity desktop should run and it may be possible to diagnose whatever issue you had in order to get it running.

Here is a very good chart comparing the look and features of the big Ubuntu distributions:
http://mylinuxexplore.blogspot.com/2013/05/ubuntu-1304-vs-kubuntu-1304-vs-xubuntu_16.html

DodoSerebro

Honorable
Jun 17, 2013

Sorry for asking, what is the difference between Lubuntu and Xubuntu?
I need a good platform to develop in Java, C, C#, C++ and WxWidgets and so?

RulesSpew

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2013

Xubuntu is faster than ubuntu / une

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

There are a variety of desktops that use Ubuntu as the foundation. The desktop environment can greatly affect the speed of a system because of the resources it uses for the eye candy, less eye candy more speed. Ubuntu's default is Unity and it is very memory intensive. Lubuntu uses the L(as in lightweight)XDE as the default desktop and includes some lighter software such as Abiword rather than LibreOffice. Xubuntu uses XFCE as it's default desktop.

You can install any of the above and then add the others to try/compare them without installing all the system, just the desktop. Just go to the software depot and install LXDE or XFCE or any other that suits your fancy. When I boot up I can select from cinnamon, XFCE, LXDE, Unity or Gnome3 and they all use the same base so folders, programs and personal data all carry over. What I do in one shows in the others so I can switch at will.

For the languages you listed any Linux should be fine. There are many tools to help as well such as Eclipse and Netbeans. If you are scratch programming there are many editors to choose from, go to the software depot and pick a few out and give them a try. I'm not going to recommend one because it seems everyone has their favorite and swears the others are worthless and this thread could easily get hijacked.

Aristotelian

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2012
LUbuntu is the most lightweight. The desktop is very simple and it comes with the fewest packages preinstalled. XUbuntu is also on the lightweight side, but has a few more features than LUbuntu. You can probably find hundreds of pages written about the performance of one versus the other, but the reality is both are very lightweight and should run smoothly on your machine. In fact even Ubuntu with the full Unity desktop should run and it may be possible to diagnose whatever issue you had in order to get it running.

Here is a very good chart comparing the look and features of the big Ubuntu distributions:
http://mylinuxexplore.blogspot.com/2013/05/ubuntu-1304-vs-kubuntu-1304-vs-xubuntu_16.html

Solution