[SOLVED] Y connector 2x6 PCIe to 1x6+2 PCIe

Silmefaron

Honorable
Dec 20, 2015
I have a PSU with the rated power capable of running a system with a GTX 970, i7 4770, and 16GB of 1866 MHz RAM, but it does not have the right connectors. It only has 2 6-pin PCIe power connectors and the version of the SSC card I have from EVGA requires a 6-pin and an 8-pin. I have a molex adapter I can use to get from molex to 6-pin, which means I would need a Y adapter from 2x6 pin to a 1x8 pin connector. I can't seem to find one anywhere. Are there any anyone can recommend? Or is it safe to get one that goes directly from one 6-pin to an 8-pin? Is that even possible, in order to cut molex out completely? Thanks!!! The PSU is a Rosewill Stallion Series RD500-2DB.

Solution
That series is relatively new and unproven, with limited information available.
It could be decent, but at this point in time it would be better to go with a well reviewed unit (like the CXm)

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
the SSC card I have from EVGA requires a 6-pin and an 8-pin. I have a molex adapter I can use to get from molex to 6-pin

NEVER, EVER do that. It is a fire hazard.

I would need a Y adapter from 2x6 pin to a 1x8 pin connector.
That would be fine. 6-pin is rated for 75W, and 8-pin is rated for 150W. Therefore, a 2x6-pin (2x75W) to 8-pin is safe.

Or is it safe to get one that goes directly from one 6-pin to an 8-pin?

NEVER, EVER do that, either. Drawing up to 150W along wires that are rated to carry a max of 75W is a fire hazard.

Replace your PSU with one that is of high quality, rated for the amount of power you need, and has all the connectors you need.

Silmefaron

Honorable
Dec 20, 2015
NEVER, EVER do that. It is a fire hazard.

That would be fine. 6-pin is rated for 75W, and 8-pin is rated for 150W. Therefore, a 2x6-pin (2x75W) to 8-pin is safe.
I've done it with a molex connector (two molex to one 6-pin) before without any issues, is it really that much of a hazard if the wire gauge is safe enough?

And the only way I can get the right combination of connectors/pins is if I go from two molex to one 6-pin, and from two 6-pin to one 8-pin. That gets me the power and connectors I need... so long as molex is okay.

I honestly can't justify spending the money on a new PSU for this build because its a project build, and I haven't put too much into it so far. I'm looking to turn around and sell it to make some extra cash, as it's not my main PC. Let me know what you think.

USAFRet

Titan
I honestly can't justify spending the money on a new PSU for this build because its a project build, and I haven't put too much into it so far. I'm looking to turn around and sell it to make some extra cash, as it's not my main PC. Let me know what you think.

So you're going to sell some unsuspecting persona known fire hazard?
Good luck with that.

If the PSU does not have the proper connectors, you need a new PSU.

Silmefaron

Honorable
Dec 20, 2015
So you're going to sell some unsuspecting persona known fire hazard?
Good luck with that.

If the PSU does not have the proper connectors, you need a new PSU.
Yeah when you say it like that, I don't wanna sell someone a fire hazard. I'd rather they have a good stable system.

Would something like this be decent enough at an 80 Plus Gold rating? It has all the connectors and its only $50 : https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182398&ignorebbr=1

Silmefaron

Honorable
Dec 20, 2015
That series is relatively new and unproven, with limited information available.
It could be decent, but at this point in time it would be better to go with a well reviewed unit (like the CXm)
Thank you very much for your help and time. I’ll purchase the Corsair PSU. Hopefully I can find a use for the Rosewill so it’s not wasted!

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I've done it with a molex connector (two molex to one 6-pin) before without any issues, is it really that much of a hazard if the wire gauge is safe enough?

And the only way I can get the right combination of connectors/pins is if I go from two molex to one 6-pin, and from two 6-pin to one 8-pin. That gets me the power and connectors I need... so long as molex is okay.

I don't know why they even sell those molex to PCIe adapters - the are dangerous, and using them to power a GPU is asking for trouble.

It's even worse if you're building this to sell it and make some cash. If something goes wrong, the liability falls on you for selling a hazardous item.

Don't do it. It can work for some people, and can work for some time, but it's too risky.