Y fan splitter safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmilSkovbo

Reputable
Dec 28, 2015
Hello i did read a old tread about being bad for the motherboard to use a y splitter to run 2 funs on 1 fan header is that true or is it safe to use ?

Solution

Your NZXT H440 case fans are the NZXT FN V2, which is rated at 0.16A each.

Your motherboard's fan headers are 1A normally (if not stated in the manual) and rated higher for special-purpose fan headers (such as the H_AMP or W_PUMP+, which your board does not have). In the manual that you linked, in Page 52 of the PDF file (i.e., Page 1-36 of the...
It's true that it could be dangerous. Running two fans from one header could draw so much power that it would burn out traces on the motherboard.

If the motherboard was designed to supply the power needed for two fans it would have had two headers.

Of course you're free to try it but don't be surprised if you damage your motherboard.

Check the motherboard's manual for the current the header provides. Most headers provide 1A max., some motherboards provide high-amp rated headers (e.g., Asus MB's with H_AMP and W_PUMP+ headers) that can go as high as 3A. Next thing to do is check the ampere rating of the fans you will be connecting it to. Most fans are in the range of ~0.15A to ~0.35A. So, connecting 4 fans with an current draw of 0.2A per fan would only draw 0.8A on the 1A header. It is not dangerous if you know what you are doing, have the correct information, and installing reliable components.

Take a typical 240mm AIO for example (such as Corsair H100i v2). The AIO provides a splitter cable allowing you to connect the 2x 120mm fans to cool the rad. This cable also splits/connects the pump, in itself drawing in more current, apart from the fan's power draw. Such AIO only connects to 1 motherboard header (usually the CPU_FAN) that is rated at only 1A.

You will be safe using a fan splitter as long as you the fans you are connecting does not draw more current than the motherboard header provides.

salerhino

Reputable
Mar 16, 2016

I use it myself in one rig, nothing wrong yet :)

Your NZXT H440 case fans are the NZXT FN V2, which is rated at 0.16A each.

Your motherboard's fan headers are 1A normally (if not stated in the manual) and rated higher for special-purpose fan headers (such as the H_AMP or W_PUMP+, which your board does not have). In the manual that you linked, in Page 52 of the PDF file (i.e., Page 1-36 of the actual manual's page numbering), it states: "The CPU_FAN connector supports the CPU fan of maximum 1A (12 W) fan power." So, normally, the other CHA_FAN and the W_PUMP headers would have the same rating as well, unless otherwise stated.

Technically, installing 6x NZXT FN V2 off of 1x 1A header would be pushing the header to the limits (at 6 x 0.16A/fan = 0.96A total), but not yet going overboard. To allow for more headroom, you can safely connect 2x, 3x, or even 4x NZXT FN V2 0.16A-rated fans on that single 1A-rated MB header.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.