Y splitter with fan controller

xTamx420

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013
Hello,

I'm not happy with the noise level of my main computer so I am thinking of rebuilding it in a Fractal Design Define R4 (no window). I want to use a Corsair H100i with Noctua 120 mm fans (I forgot the model but its the good ones) replacing the stock corsair fans. I also want two more case fans for a total of 4 fans.

The Define R4 has a built in fan controller for up to 3 fans so I am considering using a y-splitter on two of them. Is there a downside to having a y-splitter on a fan controller? I have used them on the motherboard connectors before but I have never tried that with a fan controller. Will there be a difference in RPM between the fans on the splitter and the fans with their own connectors?

Alternatively, the H100i can control 4 fans with software but I really like the switch on the Fractal case.

Cheers,

Tom

Solution
There would not be any downside of connecting y splitter in either corsair link or Fractal case switch. Noctua produces great fans. However, their 15 series is giving more noise so better stick with 14 series fans. Just make sure you are getting PWM fans so that their speed can be controlled. Else you can use Corsair SP120mm High Performance Edition.
There would not be any downside of connecting y splitter in either corsair link or Fractal case switch. Noctua produces great fans. However, their 15 series is giving more noise so better stick with 14 series fans. Just make sure you are getting PWM fans so that their speed can be controlled. Else you can use Corsair SP120mm High Performance Edition.

Solution

clankfu32

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013

I know this is an old thread but I have a similar question. I thought that if they're plugged into the R4 fan controller, they can't be controlled via the BIOS. Isn't the case fan controller manual?

clankfu32

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013

Doesn't the R4 fan controller only support 3-pin though?

clankfu32

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013

I haven't built it yet. This is my first build and my R4 should be delivered soon.

Can you point me to any threads or links discussing this configuration and molex connector issue?