G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

I *finally* ascended a Wizard named Jack after months of trying.

It wasn't an auspicious start. I started out as a Chaotic Elf Wizard and
managed to lose my kitten on level 5. I did manage to find a magic lamp
in Mine Town and got a wish for +2 silver dragon scale mail. I also
found several bones files from previous wizard attempts with lots of
spellbooks which really helped.

Despite a coaligned altar in minetown, the stingy God wouldnt give up
Magicbane until I was around level 11 and the RNG didn't generate a
scroll of enchant armor until I reached the City of the Dead (I almost
wished for one in the castle but decided to wait until I found one later).

But it was all good when I found a second WoW with two charges after the
castle, just laying in the middle of the floor. I wished for a couple of
magic markers, 2 AoLS, helm of brilliance, and a spellbook of finger of
death (my stupid god would never crown me despite several attempts).
Nurse danced several times in Sokoban, made my speed boots and cloak of
magic resistance fireproof and +5 and then I decided to do something I
hadnt done before - I wiped most of my scrolls and wrote a bunch of
magic mapping scrolls with my remaining magic markers. I wrote enough to
use them for every level of Gehenna but 3, so Gehenna went fairly fast.

Waxed Rodney (7 times total), used a c corpse on the high priest and
made a mad dash for the up stairs. I lucked out finding the portal in
the plane of air pretty fast (no way to get confusion - I barely found
any potions of confusion at all the whole game). I found the altar on my
first try in the astral plane.

Goodbye Jack the Demigod...

You went to your reward with 3534644 points,
The Bell of Opening (worth 5000 zorkmids and 12500 points)
The Candelabrum of Invocation (worth 5000 zorkmids and 12500 points)
The Book of the Dead (worth 10000 zorkmids and 25000 points)
The Eye of the Aethiopica (worth 4000 zorkmids and 10000 points)
Demonbane (worth 2500 zorkmids and 6250 points)
Fire Brand (worth 3000 zorkmids and 7500 points)
Stormbringer (worth 8000 zorkmids and 20000 points)
Magicbane (worth 3500 zorkmids and 8750 points)
9 emeralds (worth 22500 zorkmids),
9 amethyst stones (worth 5400 zorkmids),
7 diamonds (worth 28000 zorkmids),
6 rubies (worth 21000 zorkmids),
6 jacinth stones (worth 19500 zorkmids),
5 chrysoberyl stones (worth 3500 zorkmids),
4 jade stones (worth 1200 zorkmids),
3 black opals (worth 7500 zorkmids),
3 jasper stones (worth 1500 zorkmids),
3 fluorite stones (worth 1200 zorkmids),
2 aquamarine stones (worth 3000 zorkmids),
2 jet stones (worth 1700 zorkmids),
2 opals (worth 1600 zorkmids),
2 garnet stones (worth 1400 zorkmids),
3 amulets of life saving (worth 450 zorkmids),
1 amulet of ESP (worth 150 zorkmids),
1 amulet versus poison (worth 150 zorkmids),
1 amulet of reflection (worth 150 zorkmids),
and 5628 pieces of gold, after 45582 moves.
You were level 20 with a maximum of 303 hit points when you ascended.

Woo hoo! Time to celebrate!
 

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001
1,479
0
19,280
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Jack Bolsen <jbolsen@verizon.net> wrote in
news:xBaXd.75906$Dc.73778@trnddc06:

> I *finally* ascended a Wizard named Jack after months of trying.

Good stuff, nice to see SOMEBODY has ascended, I keep on panicking...

> It wasn't an auspicious start. I started out as a Chaotic Elf Wizard
> and managed to lose my kitten on level 5. I did manage to find a magic
> lamp in Mine Town and got a wish for +2 silver dragon scale mail. I
> also found several bones files from previous wizard attempts with lots
> of spellbooks which really helped.
>
> Despite a coaligned altar in minetown, the stingy God wouldnt give up
> Magicbane until I was around level 11 and the RNG didn't generate a
> scroll of enchant armor until I reached the City of the Dead (I almost
> wished for one in the castle but decided to wait until I found one
> later).

I assume you didn't run into any paper gollums?...

> But it was all good when I found a second WoW with two charges after
> the castle, just laying in the middle of the floor. I wished for a
> couple of magic markers, 2 AoLS, helm of brilliance, and a spellbook
> of finger of death (my stupid god would never crown me despite several
> attempts). Nurse danced several times in Sokoban, made my speed boots
> and cloak of magic resistance fireproof and +5 and then I decided to
> do something I hadnt done before - I wiped most of my scrolls and
> wrote a bunch of magic mapping scrolls with my remaining magic
> markers. I wrote enough to use them for every level of Gehenna but 3,
> so Gehenna went fairly fast.
>
> Waxed Rodney (7 times total), used a c corpse on the high priest and
> made a mad dash for the up stairs. I lucked out finding the portal in
> the plane of air pretty fast (no way to get confusion - I barely found
> any potions of confusion at all the whole game). I found the altar on
> my first try in the astral plane.
>
> Goodbye Jack the Demigod...
>
> You went to your reward with 3534644 points,
> The Bell of Opening (worth 5000 zorkmids and 12500 points)
> The Candelabrum of Invocation (worth 5000 zorkmids and 12500 points)
> The Book of the Dead (worth 10000 zorkmids and 25000 points)
> The Eye of the Aethiopica (worth 4000 zorkmids and 10000 points)
> Demonbane (worth 2500 zorkmids and 6250 points)
> Fire Brand (worth 3000 zorkmids and 7500 points)
> Stormbringer (worth 8000 zorkmids and 20000 points)
> Magicbane (worth 3500 zorkmids and 8750 points)
> 9 emeralds (worth 22500 zorkmids),
> 9 amethyst stones (worth 5400 zorkmids),
> 7 diamonds (worth 28000 zorkmids),
> 6 rubies (worth 21000 zorkmids),
> 6 jacinth stones (worth 19500 zorkmids),
> 5 chrysoberyl stones (worth 3500 zorkmids),
> 4 jade stones (worth 1200 zorkmids),
> 3 black opals (worth 7500 zorkmids),
> 3 jasper stones (worth 1500 zorkmids),
> 3 fluorite stones (worth 1200 zorkmids),
> 2 aquamarine stones (worth 3000 zorkmids),
> 2 jet stones (worth 1700 zorkmids),
> 2 opals (worth 1600 zorkmids),
> 2 garnet stones (worth 1400 zorkmids),
> 3 amulets of life saving (worth 450 zorkmids),
> 1 amulet of ESP (worth 150 zorkmids),
> 1 amulet versus poison (worth 150 zorkmids),
> 1 amulet of reflection (worth 150 zorkmids),
> and 5628 pieces of gold, after 45582 moves.
> You were level 20 with a maximum of 303 hit points when you ascended.
>
> Woo hoo! Time to celebrate!
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

chuck wrote:

> I assume you didn't run into any paper gollums?...

There are only normal hobbits in NetHack.


--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

The garden of happiness is surrounded by a wall so low only children
can look over it. - "the Orphanage of Hits", former Dutch radio show.
 

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001
1,479
0
19,280
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote in
news:d0me42$4tg$1@news5.zwoll1.ov.home.nl:

> chuck wrote:
>
>> I assume you didn't run into any paper gollums?...
>
> There are only normal hobbits in NetHack.
>
>

WHAT???? Ok I spelled it wrong (comes from seeing ALL of the Tolkien movies
ever made I suppose...), but there are paper, wood, stone, flesh and others
and IF you kill a paper one you get blank scrolls as anyone who has played
it for a while would see...
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

> WHAT???? Ok I spelled it wrong (comes from seeing ALL of the Tolkien
movies
> ever made I suppose...), but there are paper, wood, stone, flesh and others
> and IF you kill a paper one you get blank scrolls as anyone who has played
> it for a while would see...

Quite true, Chuck, but my character didn't know how to write a scroll of
enchant armor yet because he hadn't yet seen one. I've discovered that
attempting to write scrolls you don't know sometimes leads to amusing
messages (you write "dear diary" but don't know what else to write) but
the desired scrolls don't come about.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Jack Bolsen <jbolsen@verizon.net> wrote:
> > WHAT???? Ok I spelled it wrong (comes from seeing ALL of the Tolkien
>movies
>> ever made I suppose...), but there are paper, wood, stone, flesh and others
>> and IF you kill a paper one you get blank scrolls as anyone who has played
>> it for a while would see...
>
>Quite true, Chuck, but my character didn't know how to write a scroll of
>enchant armor yet because he hadn't yet seen one. I've discovered that
>attempting to write scrolls you don't know sometimes leads to amusing
>messages (you write "dear diary" but don't know what else to write) but
>the desired scrolls don't come about.

Well, not very often, anyway. Luck, the RNG, and your character class all
play a part.
--
Martin Read - my opinions are my own. share them if you wish.
My roguelike games page (including my BSD-licenced roguelike) can be found at:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mpread/roguelikes.html
NP: Judas Priest - Loch Ness
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Jack Bolsen wrote:
>I decided to do something I
> hadnt done before - I wiped most of my scrolls and wrote a bunch of
> magic mapping scrolls with my remaining magic markers. I wrote enough
to
> use them for every level of Gehenna but 3, so Gehenna went fairly
fast.
>

Alternatively, you could have written a spellbook of magic mapping :)
 

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001
1,479
0
19,280
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Jack Bolsen <jbolsen@verizon.net> wrote in
news:lUPXd.32674$QQ3.23973@trnddc02:

> > WHAT???? Ok I spelled it wrong (comes from seeing ALL of the
> > Tolkien
> movies
>> ever made I suppose...), but there are paper, wood, stone, flesh and
>> others and IF you kill a paper one you get blank scrolls as anyone
>> who has played it for a while would see...
>
> Quite true, Chuck, but my character didn't know how to write a scroll
> of enchant armor yet because he hadn't yet seen one. I've discovered
> that attempting to write scrolls you don't know sometimes leads to
> amusing messages (you write "dear diary" but don't know what else to
> write) but the desired scrolls don't come about.
>
You didn't see one at all, or you didn't get one Identified yet? Therein
lies the solution, check the prices in shops... scrolls are ALWAYS the same
price (or roughly so) depending on your charisma, I think. identify is
always 20,26,30 or 34.


That should help

P.S. look for scrolls costing 105 and 80 as these are remove curse and
enchant armor and weapon
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

> You didn't see one at all, or you didn't get one Identified yet? Therein
> lies the solution, check the prices in shops... scrolls are ALWAYS the same
> price (or roughly so) depending on your charisma, I think. identify is
> always 20,26,30 or 34.
>
>
> That should help
>
> P.S. look for scrolls costing 105 and 80 as these are remove curse and
> enchant armor and weapon

Honest beloved patriot I didn't find one. My wizard knew the identify spell and as
a matter of course I id unknown scrolls in shops. None there, or on the
quest, or anywhere else. I was specifically looking for one and it
didn't come up until the valley of the dead. Odd quirk of the rng that game.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Lichen Fodder wrote:

> Jack Bolsen wrote:
>
>>I decided to do something I
>>hadnt done before - I wiped most of my scrolls and wrote a bunch of
>>magic mapping scrolls with my remaining magic markers. I wrote enough
>
> to
>
>>use them for every level of Gehenna but 3, so Gehenna went fairly
>
> fast.
>
>
> Alternatively, you could have written a spellbook of magic mapping :)
>
I thought about that. However, magic mapping is a high-level divination
spell that uses up a significant amount of power. I wanted to save the
power for offensive spells and scrolls use no power. Writing a scroll of
magic mapping takes just a few charges of a magic marker (4-7 usually)
and as I had the resources to do it it just made sense. As it turned
out, I really did need that power.

But you're right, your way certainly would have worked.