Yahoo Data Breach Exposed 500 Million Accounts In 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marissa Mayer has been an epic failure and was not qualified to be CEO of Yahoo. Yahoo was a sinking ship, but her failed app acquisitions and countless other failed business decisions have all but destroyed Yahoo.

Why Verizon Communication wants any of it is a mystery. She just partied like the Costa Concordia cruise ship captain did while it was headed right for the rocks...except she will just get a nice $50 million severance package and no jail.

dstarr3

Distinguished

Supposing that's even true, it's at the expense of an organization that just waits for two years after being hacked to reveal to its users that their passwords and other personal info has been stolen.

If I had to choose between having my data mined versus having it withheld from me that my data was stolen, I choose mining. And in reality, I'm sure Yahoo is mining your data as much as Google and just not telling you.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
>>>Supposing that's even true, it's at the expense of an organization that just waits for two years after being hacked to reveal to its users that their passwords and other personal info has been stolen.

They said it was a recent investigation that revealed the information. In other words, they didn't know they had been hacked for two years.

dstarr3

Distinguished

You say it like that's a defense.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
They say they didn't know about it, 'till now. I think the timing (relative to the Verizon acquisition) is suspicious. A big hack, like this, could've hurt their valuation and made them a less desirable target.

Oh, really?

Well, since she took the helm, the stock price has approximately tripled, adding about $30B to their market cap. So, I doubt most of their investors would agree with you.

I'm not going to argue whether or not she could've done better. About the only thing I would say is that it seemed bone-headed and probably hypocritical for her to ban employees from working from home.

Since their inception, Yahoo has played in just about every online business model there is: shopping, auctions, payments, social media, video sharing, dating, careers... you name it, they've tried it. It's kinda sad, and possibly reveals a deeper truth, that they couldn't really succeed in any of them.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
i use my Yahoo mail just to complete accounts on websites that i know will going to sell my adress for spam, i don`t even know my yahoo password :D

Seankay

Respectable
Jul 20, 2016
Thankfully I change my passwords every month or two but really Yahoo should consider it as a big failure to inform the users this late! A huge question mark on Yahoo for me at least!

Well that's just it. Marissa made the stockholders happy (why, I have no idea) but nobody else. Not the least of which are Yahoo's customers (what's left of them). Take Tumblr for instance. Since her $1 billion (plus) buyout of Tumblr in 2013, the company has failed to meet their sales goals, and it's market value is about 25% of what it was during the buyout.

She was a programmer, not a business head. Of the 53 acquisitions she completed, 42 (80%) are now dead or taken over by someone else and no longer part of Yahoo. There is a long track record of tech leaders and business heads clashing at the top on who has the better ideas to move the company forward to be sure (Microsoft and Apple for sure). But there will be case studies in business schools about her tenure at Yahoo in the future.

Meanwhile, Yahoo's stockholders can continue clapping like seals on a stage in approval.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
this is 2016...what took them so long to let the public know about this problem....I wonder how many other companies are have the same problems but never report it...this is sad, especially when someone trusts them with their personal information...I FORGOT, THE SERVICE IS FREE, THEREFORE THE COMPANY CAN DO WHATEVER IT WANTS...BS

Status
Not open for further replies.