Yahoo! Provided Iran With Details of 200K Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

valcron

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
Man all business integrity is out the window now days isn't it? I mean come on i know your in it to make money...but integrity is worth a LOT more than money. After this article I would pay to use a search engine than touch yahoo.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
So basically there are 200K users that Yahoo sold to a government that is known for persecuting, intimidating, imprisoning and even torturing and killing its own people for bullshit reasons.

Yep. And then they say Google is bad.

G

Wow. How many of these users ended up being beaten and have their fingers smashed by hammers as a result of giving this info to the IRGC?

Way to go Yahoo. Should change your name to F*&^'n OUCH!

Next step: Find evidence which shows any of those 200k people who were located by the Iranian government due to Yahoo's information, that may have then been persecuted or killed. Then, compile all that evidence and charge Yahoo and it's personnel associated with this whole ordeal with conspiracy to commit....

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
And people wonder why we fight so hard against the RIAA, ISPs like Comcast and AT&T, etc... If people want to know what the danger is in having an internet that is no longer free and open to all, just look at Iran, China, etc...

Sure, we can say all this extra intrusion is to reduce piracy or prevent terrorism, but tomorrow when the feds are knocking on your door because you posted an anti-administration rant on your blog, don't cry foul or complain no one warned you.

And if all else fails, and people are still too stupid to be concerned about their civil liberties, just remind them that Iran blocked Twitter access during the previous election riots, and China routinely blocks YouTube, see if that doesn't jar them into action.

ailgatrat

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Did anybody read the article and the posts thereafter by the author?

"Oct. 9, 9:18 am PST — Ed note from Larry Dignan: I’m ending this back and forth now. This story, which derived from a blog post in Iran, has turned into a he said-Yahoo said go-round. Yahoo has denied the charges that it has turned over names to Iran and called the allegations completely false. Short of second and third sourcing, ZDNet must consider this report unreliable."

bliq

Distinguished
This is pretty stupid- Yahoo *barely* gets any traffic from Iran. If they were to block traffic, it would barely register. What would there be to gain from opening traffic to the country compared to the international bad press it would generate? And the author has already said his *only* source was a student activist blog (almost the definition of ulterior motive) and can't be verified by a second or third source. I smell slander here... And I think the SEC could definitely have something to say about the market manipulation.

vaskodogama

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
F*** Yahoo! I Hate them! they sell everything, even the privacy of their users to some savage goverment like iran's that kills it's people?
I'm an Iranian, Living in Iran. I'm sure nobody feels how it is to be sold or something like yahoo thinks we are stupid!

davidhbrown

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
If you follow the link back, the editor at ZDNet has closed comments, saying with only one source and Yahoo denying it, there's no story. That's the problem with news blogs... so many thoughts, so little fact-checking.

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
I am glad I have nothing to do with YAHOO nor will I have anything to do with them.And it would be great to see them charged with something but we know that won't happen.
And if this news is a true story it will be in the newspapers and on various real news channels so i will figure it out in a few days.

Yes NET Neutrality needs to be done.We need protaection from the various Organizations/Businesses who would like to take away our freedom.
RIAA,MPAA,Big Lame ISP's,Goverment,etc

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
I actually opened toms, and when clicking on the article (the title in toms was really scary) I found it updated. I thought I had missclicked or something, and refreshed toms to be sure, but yea, coincidence.

G

im iranina and im one of that protesters but our government dont need any information from yahoo cause they have the informations, just look up nokia siemens networks deep data analyzing system that have been sold to iran and you will realize that they dont need anything from yahoo.they do it for a long time and have too many heavy data centers for them and thats why they are very very extremely good in oracle and such that stuff.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
It seems we have a lot of sheep here at Tom's who blindly believe whatever hearsay they read on the net in one paragraph. This article is a he said - she said debate without any evidence from either side. That's all.

G

The problem with the line "Yahoo! is committed to protecting and promoting freedom of expression and privacy"? is that they've already admitted to helping China track down and jail people. The corporate PR doesn't hold up to corporate history.

I'm not saying the Iran story is true or false... I have no way of knowing. But given Yahoo's history, I certainly wouldn't be surprised.

CChick

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
[citation][nom]Jerky_san[/nom]Wow.. talk about violation of privacy there..[/citation]

like how our beloved US government/AT&T ? :)

and Bush signed what laws that allows them to tap anybody without a warrant ? :)

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
Wow to think some government would go that far to find those that do not think alike ... or worse US based company's are complying.

Dudes wake up its not like they don't give the information if homeland security asks for it and they don't even need a reason no matter how bogus.
And yes in your failing part of the world innocent people get prosecuted just like any other 3th world country.

kifto

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
I hope yahoo will do the same if other goverment (like the usa gov, or the french, the spanish or the chinese goverment) ask them for details of their users.Privacy became a problem not only in Iran

asjflask

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
There is no evidence that Yahoo did it, only a claim. Innocent until proven guilty. Just sounds like someone who hates Yahoo and wanted to start something and create a panic. Mission accomplished.

G

This is nothing new, and there are far more evil countries than Iran that we don't even consider "liberating", Iran just happens to be sitting on some oil that America is coveting. Iran hasn't invaded any of it's neighbors in a long, long time, and Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan have far more brutal regimes, but since they have "Western Friendly" goverments, we turn a blind eye to their human rights abuses.

PS: Microsoft "complies with local laws in the countries it does business in", which means bending over for the NSA, China's communist government, and pretty much all privacy-hating regimes everywhere. This is certainly nothing new for any company.

Status
Not open for further replies.