Yahoo!: We Were Never a Search Company

Status
Not open for further replies.

downer88

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
One I try to avoid now since their deal with M$, and too bad since they were among the first. How can they say they weren't a search company, when they used to catagorize webpages before search engines were efficient?

thepetey

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
i personally use Yahoo for Sports/Fantasy/Games/News more than i use it to search the web. So i agree.. the main focus isnt and shouldnt be a Search Engine

G

If it was never a search company, then why did they start the company like 13 or whatever years ago? To me, yahoo! was a search engine and nothing else back then. Maybe now its not just a search engine...but it was at one point.

G

I always thought yahoo was more like a news/entertainement website, like msn,reuters, etc...

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Yahoo has always been a web portal, it has mostly used third-party search engines throughout its history. First Inktomi, then even Google (remember the Google logo on the results?), until it only recently developed its own, which it is now discarding in favor of Bing. I used to use Yahoo as my primary web portal, until web portals in general became to cluttered for me.

Yahoo is still the largest online email service, which I still use.

G

[citation][nom]Jerther[/nom]Yahoo in 1996Yeah... Don't know about you but this looks like a search engine to me :|[/citation]

what about the LEFT side of the page? of course it integrate a search engine.... what is the web for then? if its not to look for some information... you have to search somewhere...
its like a librairy.... you have computer to look for your books ... yet it isnt a search engine... its a library

ahslan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
it was always a search engine, but now that google has changed the game (and dominate it), they are forced to evolve and do other things...because they can't compete with google's search engine, now they're saying they never were never a search engine....which is just sad...and I have been using Yahoo since I started using the internet...heck, my first email address is from Yahoo...only recently was I "forced" into switching over to gmail...the features just cant compare...

lifelesspoet

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
yahoo search function was a category listing search, even when search engines where gaining a lot of momentum they still used they same ranking system. They referred to sites like these as portals in the day. They implemented a service that allowed you to use the interweb then started attaching services to their site, like email, user groups and news/weather. Yahoo didn't get big by having the best search technology, but by having more services and social networking.
I think its a shame they gave the yahoo search code to microsoft, I think it should have been sold to a third party. Everytime a maJor competitor in technology dies, a bit of geek inside me dies.

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
to be honest, i don't see what yahoo has to offer, as well as what bing has to offer so far, that I can't get elsewhere. The search engine "war" is kind of boring if you ask me. and yes, yahoo did do search, but it would take someone knowing their original prime directive to find out of the company was a search based company. They have almost always done something else as far as i can remember other than just search. Like for instance, didn't they try to be an isp back in the days of dial up?

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]doctorpink[/nom]what about the LEFT side of the page? of course it integrate a search engine.... what is the web for then? if its not to look for some information... you have to search somewhere...its like a librairy.... you have computer to look for your books ... yet it isnt a search engine... its a library[/citation]

searching in a library without some sort of search engine, you'd be screwed up :) I think we may agree one needs the other.

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
back in the early days of the Internet I used altavista to find out what I was looking for, and after that, google.. So, I second that 1st post.. "One I don't use"..

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Jerther[/nom]Yahoo in 1996Yeah... Don't know about you but this looks like a search engine to me :|[/citation]
It was a yellow book? But more or less a search engine.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
That woman is a lunatic, yahoo held up remarkably well in the search industry, especially in comparison to Microsoft. They just never managed to capitalize on it.

I give props to them for hanging in but did I say that woman is a lunatic? Oh yes, I did.

bk420

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
All I remeber about yahoo was the, soon to be extinct, free geocities service. This was pre 2000 period though. Haven't been back there since.

Google is the King now.

realheadcrusher

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2003
Guys, check out:
http://web.archive.org/web/19961017235908/http://www2.yahoo.com/

First page of Yahoo ever. Looks like a search engine to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.