Yahoo!: We Were Never a Search Company

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
How exactly is a "Web Portal" different from a "search engine"?

Google also does e-mail, chat, word processing, calendars, etc.... but they are first and foremost a search engine. I think Yahoo is pretty much the same thing, only without the minimalistic home page.

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I use yahoo.jp for a couple things, to check weather, since it seems to be the most reliable results and to check for train schedules, which is pretty awesome when you don't have a car and you use trains a lot.

My wife checks the site sometime for celebrity news, but that's about it.

When I was younger (like 10-14 years ago) I used yahoo for chatting and messenger, and never really as a search engine, so I see what they're saying.

G

Yahoo has never been a search portal. It has always been an ad oriented company and nothing more. To those too retarded to see that, oh well. I used the email once and couldn't wait to get away from it. A lot of people love the yahoo toolbar. I'm not one of 'em.

G

I've always been sceptical of Yahoo and its products, especially as their websites are constantly exhorting you to install some plug-in or add-on or another.

That the CEO views the sports division as a role model for the rest of the corporation is worrying, seeing as how they have ruined the Eurosport website since their tie-up and rebranding. It's prior success was founded upon purveying niche sports coverage, and particularly detailed English language coverage of European and international soccer leagues. After Yahoo's rebranding the focus was changed to cover the mainstream, and the uniqueness of the product evaporated.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
I am one of the few people in the world who doesn't use Google as the default search engine

And before you say it, no I don't use Yahoo or Bing (who does?)

I got 2 words for ya - ALTA VISTA

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Only yahoo I do is when I google something and get a "yahoo answers" link. Not bad, except that they can "close" something even though someone else might have something more to add.

GravityParade

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
They used to have real live people screening their engine submissions and put a lot of effort into their search product. I don't see how they can deny that now. I think their CEO is kind of a retard.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
They have a wierd business strategy! Instead of promoting the only thing they're known for, they're denying they ever were part of that trade!
If yahoo isn't a search company, is it even a company? Or just a collection of people?

Status
Not open for further replies.