Yamah1610 or Plextor1610

G

I've heard alot of good about the Plextor on this forum, but my question was, if I have a choice to buy the Plextor for 186 after shipping or the Yamaha for 150 after shipping, which would you recommend?

Also, this is the price for the bare drives, should I worry about getting the actual software for the plextor or yamaha? I just planned on throwing her in, and installing Adaptec Easy Cd Creator v. 4.0 or higher (which I have)

Thanks for the help...

Old addage: "Users never prosper" :eek:) Long live the tweakers

G

Plextor. It's worth extra $36. Yamaha was the first 16X drive released, but it is not a true 16X drive. That speed is reached only temporarily, and cannot be sustained for a significant period of time. Plextor, on the other hand, is a true 16X drive.

Another interesting choice is Teac 16X. It's priced about the same as Yamaha. But it is also a true 16X drive. It's access speed is amazing (on the order of 80ms against Plextor's 144ms). No other 16X drive in existence can beat it. It also performs a media analysis three times instead of one, so quality of recording is higher. The only drawback Teac has against Plextor is that its DAE speed is lower. Could be a concern if you're into audio CD burning.

For more info, here is a 16X drive roundup from cdrlabs.com:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/article.php3?articleid=5

Leo

G

Okay, does anyone know about the software? Do I need special software for one or the other or can I just buy the bare drive and use the Adaptec CD creator software I ahve??

Old addage: "Users never prosper" :eek:) Long live the tweakers

G

I don't think the software bundled with the drives has any relation to the drives themselves. It's just a generic software for creating CDs, no matter what drive you're using.

Leo

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I believe that it depends on the source for the software. There is an AOpen software that won't work on other machines, but from what I gather, it is the software and not the hardware that limits the interchangability. Okay, so if the software works on TWO different machines, then it should work on all machines. Take-Out

The early bird gets the worm. The early worm gets the bird.