lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
I have seen several references to disabling DMA transfers and using these types of transfers in reviews and in the textfile for updating the firmware(they say to disable it prior to the update) ( I am using most recent 1.0H) for the yamaha cdrw2100ez. When I check for this(DMA checkbox in device manager|cdrw|properties|settings there isn't even the refered to check box and the int13 one and removable checkboxes are grayed out. Any ideas how to enable the DMA option? for this drive and my cd-rom ? Should it be through the bios ?? Help appreciated I want to get the max performance from my new burner

System:
Windoze 98
asus cusl2-c mobo
p-3 800eb
256mb cl-2 ram
30gb ibm deskstar ata 100 HDD
leadtek gf2-gts 32 mb ddr
SB live
usr 56k hardware modem PCI 56k
300 watt PS
Memorex 48x cd-rom
Yamaha cd2100ez cdrw
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lagger on 02/13/01 03:09 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

First, in many motherboards, if you enable DMA in the Bios and in Windows 98 at the same time, you will not be able to boot. So you just have to enable it in Windows.

As you say you have no DMA checkbox (how strange), you can enable it adding an entry to the registry.

G

OK, just follow this:

run regedit.exe

go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
go to Enum
go to SCSI

there you will have your Memorex CD drive and the Yamaha

open the entry for the Yamaha

there will be something like this

MF&CHILD0001&PCI&VEN_8086&DEV_7111&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_01&BUS_00&DEV_07&FUNC_0110

go there

you will see and entry called

DMACurrentlyUsed

if you change the value on its right to 01, you will enable DMA for the device, if you set it to 00, you will disable it.

you can also do this for your memorex

if you want to do it for your HD, instead of going to scsi, go to esdi and do the same thing

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
Thanx for the replies .. I did the regedit as you suggested, interestingly I could only do this for the memorex cd-rom .. there was no reference in the registry for dma for the yamaha burner .. also notable .. the yamaha runs at and is seen as a udma 1 drive !! that is = to udma 16 where the memorex reader is udma 2 or udma 33 weird
Lagger

G

That is usual, my Plextor 12/10/32 also runs in UDMA mode 1, that because it is a E-IDE drive, not an Ultra DMA 33 drive.

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
Just a follow up .. when I installed and setup my system mobo etc I installed the intel ata 100 controller from the asus cd.. on a hunch I thought to meself ... hmmm why would I need that if the board is native ata100 ??.. so I went into add\uninstall and removed it and rebooted .. windoze picked up the controller on the mobo as new hardware and installed it .. I checked in device manager and wouldn't ya know it !! the DMA checkbox had magically appeared for BOTH drives !! checked it for the cdrom and the cd-rw and voila !! everything works fine
Thanks again for the replies
Lagger

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lagger on 02/16/01 10:38 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Maybe the Intel controller that came in the asus CD was worse than the original in Windows... who knows?

SEARCH FIRST, THEN POST

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
Ya' know what I think .. they included it in case you got the original cusl2 (not C) and needed to upgrade from ata 66 to ata 100 cheeper to make just one cdrom lol
Lagger