Yamhill not AMD64 compatible ?

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
Saw <A HREF="http://www.eetimes.com/semi/news/OEG20040206S0029" target="_new">this link</A> on Aces. Here is a quote:

Intel's Prescott can also support 64-bit extensions, but it is unlikely the company will offer that chip in a 64-bit version, Brookwood. The Prescott, with 64-bit extensions, is not compatible with AMD's 64-bit devices, he said.

Sounds like the INQ was right: MS refused to support 2 competing x86 extentions, and therefore forced Intel to redesign its Yamhill. If this is true, its obvious we won't see 64 bit (x86) chips from intel for quite a while.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
Oh, and I also doubt it will be a much improved/extended version either, at least yet. Doesnt sound like they'd have enough time for that.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
P4Man! Good to see you here, though I don't post much at Ace's.

In any event, this was kind of the vibe I got from Groo a while back. We're getting it here from one or two other people with (supposed) inside info. I wonder where Groo gets his info anyways...

<i><Lionel Hutz> I'll be defending...The SCO Group!!!??? Even if I lose, I'll be famous!</i>

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
Ha.. you didnt know yet.. I'm not exactly new here, P4Man==bbaeyens. I just had my nick changed :D

As for Groo, well, I think its obvious he gets his information from insiders. Probably often people that want this information leaked, but can't go on record saying it (for instance an AMD employee that is so happy Sun will be signing up, but can't really say that until Sun is ready to go public on it, or an intel employee that wants to hmm.. prepare the masses for what is going to come). The risk is off course, that you get (ab)used.. those people leaking usually have their own agenda, but so far, I have to tip my hat to Groo's work seperating the real info from the PR and FUD stuff.