YANI: make petless a conduct (spoily)

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Why isn't petless a conduct? It makes the game much harder in the
beginning, requires an amount of player self-control (no chucking tripe
to stop that little dog killing you) and it is possible to win the game
petless, apart from the last level.

Petless conduct should consist of the following:

Game started with the pettype:none setting, unless it asks you at
starup if you want a pet or no;

You never tame a monster, be it through food, intentional magic (spell
of charm monster) or unintentional magic (magic trap);

You never create a tame monster (figurine);

If you make it to the last level without breaking the above, you get
asked if you want a guardian angel? OR you just don't get an angel, no
option about it.

Thanks for reading,
Joe
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Philipp Lucas wrote:
> hepcaten@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
>
> > it is possible to win the game petless, apart from the last level.
>
> The reservation is unjustified. ("Thy desire for conflict shall be
> fulfilled!")

Also, you guys might consider this quibbling, but the angel on the
Astral Plane isn't technically a pet but a minion, the only one in
vanilla Nethack. They have subtlely different attributes, so it's
*possible* that someone could consider it not a pet, though it's
certainly close enough in most respects.

- John H.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

hepcaten@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> it is possible to win the game petless, apart from the last level.

The reservation is unjustified. ("Thy desire for conflict shall be
fulfilled!")

--
Philipp Lucas
phlucas@online-club.de
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

> Why isn't petless a conduct? It makes the game much harder in the
> beginning, requires an amount of player self-control (no chucking tripe
> to stop that little dog killing you) and it is possible to win the game
> petless, apart from the last level.

You can make it peaceful, too. No need to tame it.
About the last level, there's a possibility to not get a pet there.

> Game started with the pettype:none setting, unless it asks you at
> starup if you want a pet or no;
No more asking please :)

> You never tame a monster, be it through food, intentional magic (spell
> of charm monster) or unintentional magic (magic trap);

magic trap? I wasn't aware that those can tame monsters.


Greetings,
Benjamin
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 21:08:44 +0100, Benjamin Schieder <blindcoder@scavenger.homeip.net> wrote:

>> You never tame a monster, be it through food, intentional magic (spell
>> of charm monster) or unintentional magic (magic trap);
>
> magic trap? I wasn't aware that those can tame monsters.

I assume he means when you gain Charisma on one...

--
Ant :)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

hepcaten@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> Petless conduct should consist of the following:

....

> You never tame a monster, be it through food, intentional magic (spell
> of charm monster) or unintentional magic (magic trap);

It's not fair to make a conduct depend on never having accidents. Tripping
a magic trap with a monster next to you is very hard to avoid, unless you
have automatic searching or search several times before every step (which
would make it unbearably tedious).

Raisse, killed by a kitten called Poes

--
irina@valdyas.org LegoHack: http://www.valdyas.org/irina/nethack/
Status of Raisse (piously neutral): Level 8 HP 63(67) AC -3, fast.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Raisse the Thaumaturge wrote:
> hepcaten@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
>
>
>>Petless conduct should consist of the following:
>
>
> ...
>
>
>>You never tame a monster, be it through food, intentional magic (spell
>>of charm monster) or unintentional magic (magic trap);
>
>
> It's not fair to make a conduct depend on never having accidents. Tripping
> a magic trap with a monster next to you is very hard to avoid, unless you
> have automatic searching or search several times before every step (which
> would make it unbearably tedious).
>
> Raisse, killed by a kitten called Poes
>

That's like complaining that you could step on a polymorph trap before
having magic resistance, and lose polyselfless. Also like complaining
about poisoned pit traps killing you. Sorry, but sometimes it happens.
Besides, the odds are fantastically low.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

John H. wrote:
> Also, you guys might consider this quibbling, but the angel on the
> Astral Plane isn't technically a pet but a minion, the only one in
> vanilla Nethack. They have subtlely different attributes, so it's
> *possible* that someone could consider it not a pet, though it's
> certainly close enough in most respects.
>
> - John H.

Well, what are the different attributes then??
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Raisse the Thaumaturge <raisse@valdyas.org> wrote in message news:<42598d72$0$152$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>...
> hepcaten@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
>
> > Petless conduct should consist of the following:
>
> ...
>
> > You never tame a monster, be it through food, intentional magic (spell
> > of charm monster) or unintentional magic (magic trap);
>
> It's not fair to make a conduct depend on never having accidents. Tripping
> a magic trap with a monster next to you is very hard to avoid, unless you
> have automatic searching or search several times before every step (which
> would make it unbearably tedious).
>
> Raisse, killed by a kitten called Poes

Well, you can always max out your charisma :)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Marky Mark wrote:
> John H. wrote:
> > Also, you guys might consider this quibbling, but the angel on the
> > Astral Plane isn't technically a pet but a minion, the only one in
> > vanilla Nethack. They have subtlely different attributes, so it's
> > *possible* that someone could consider it not a pet, though it's
> > certainly close enough in most respects.
> >
> > - John H.
>
> Well, what are the different attributes then??

Googling for "nethack minion pet" led me straight to this spoiler
written by Eva Myers:

http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~eva/slashem/pets.html

The relevant bits are, stripped of Slash'em specific stuff:

* Pets will avoid cursed items. Minions don't care about
the blessed/cursed status of an object.
* Only pets will pick up objects.
* Minions don't eat or require nutrition, even if they are
a type of monster which would normally need to eat.
* Minions cannot be saddled or ridden.
* Minions cannot be renamed.

This spoiler is primarily about Slash'em, but does make note of
differences between Slash'em and Nethack. I thus hope the above list
is accurate for Nethack, but I have not looked at the source.
--
Jeff Lait
(POWDER: http://www.zincland.com/powder)
 

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
1,388
0
19,280
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

In article <425987de$0$11472$9b4e6d93@newsread2.arcor-online.net>,
Benjamin Schieder <blindcoder@scavenger.homeip.net> wrote:

>magic trap? I wasn't aware that those can tame monsters.

1 chance in 20, unless you have max charisma. Happens to me all the
time in Gehennom.