Yanoobq! - Yet another Noob Question

burn-e86

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Yet another noob question
anyway i got a new (old) PC the other day, a presario 7400 desktop. incase u dont know the specs (wierdo if u know them...)
K6-2 533
128 SDRAM
4.7 GBhdd
unknown grafixs and mobo
i know its a powerbeast and stuff but for 20quid, i couldnt refuse

anyway i want to install a linux release onto it so it can be useful.
it use to have WinME...but as soon as i got home i decided that WinME is the devil reincarnate (and the copy i have is in Chinese), so i got that off quickish...unfortunately i dont have the Disk for any copy of windows that i want to run on it.
The main purpose of this machine is to be a desktop with internet, word processing and other office apps. also if possible i want see if i can stream music and video to it from other computers on my network. Though if i dont use it as a desktop then I was thinking of making it a smoothwall server type thing.

Anyway Because it only has 128 RAM i dont think i can run a LiveCD to test out the release. also...i think that the grfx card borrows heavely from the sys RAM, which makes it really crap..with that inmind...can it effectively run a desktop? like gnome or KDE?

edit. i did look at the sticky but its a bit out of date

linux_0

Splendid
Yet another noob question
anyway i got a new (old) PC the other day, a presario 7400 desktop. incase u dont know the specs (wierdo if u know them...)
K6-2 533
128 SDRAM
4.7 GBhdd
unknown grafixs and mobo
i know its a powerbeast and stuff but for 20quid, i couldnt refuse

anyway i want to install a linux release onto it so it can be useful.
it use to have WinME...but as soon as i got home i decided that WinME is the devil reincarnate (and the copy i have is in Chinese), so i got that off quickish...unfortunately i dont have the Disk for any copy of windows that i want to run on it.
The main purpose of this machine is to be a desktop with internet, word processing and other office apps. also if possible i want see if i can stream music and video to it from other computers on my network. Though if i dont use it as a desktop then I was thinking of making it a smoothwall server type thing.

Anyway Because it only has 128 RAM i dont think i can run a LiveCD to test out the release. also...i think that the grfx card borrows heavely from the sys RAM, which makes it really crap..with that inmind...can it effectively run a desktop? like gnome or KDE?

edit. i did look at the sticky but its a bit out of date

Maybe install DSL on the HDD.

It will run as a live CD and install as debian

http://damnsmalllinux.org/download.html

:-D

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
DSL is awesome. Only adding xubuntu in as it also has the apt-get goodness but also lets you try out XFCE, which I think is one of the easier "lightweight" WM/DE (which category does it actually fall in?) to get into.

In either case burn-e86, you can't go wrong with either.

linux_0

Splendid
DSL is awesome. Only adding xubuntu in as it also has the apt-get goodness but also lets you try out XFCE, which I think is one of the easier "lightweight" WM/DE (which category does it actually fall in?) to get into.

In either case burn-e86, you can't go wrong with either.

Indeed that would be a good choice as well! :-D

DSL is also debian based and has apt-get.