YASFD -- Rogue Quest Smack Down

Christian

YAStupidFrustratingD

Aarrgh! Ok, so I started playing Rogues recently. I like that they
start with a pile of daggers and are deadly with them almost
immediately. After about 20 false starts, I get a rogue that starts to
look survivable. I cought a break in the mines by finding a +3
Dwarvish Mithril Coat. The minetown altar was coaligned and a couple
of sacrifices brought me a +3 Stormbringer. And I remembered not to
accidentally walk into the priest while it was equipped this time. ;)

No wishes at all until I found a double bones pile down at about level
14. The bones also held a CoMR and one or two other goodies. There
was one magic lamp in each bones and I happened to have plenty of holy
water. The two wishes brought me +2 SDSM and +2 speed boots.

I got all the way down to the maze underneath Medusa due to a series of
pits and trapdoors. I came back up a few levels and finished off
Medusa on the way. I hadn't done the quest yet and I was at level 14
with around 120 hps. I knew I had to fix this before going any deeper
or trying the quest.

I found Fort Ludios and cleaned it out. It was surprisingly easy at
-14 AC and 120 Hps. I never had any close calls. 60k zorkmids to a
priest on level 15 or so and my naked AC was at -1. With partially
enchanted gear, and a full ascension kit thanks to another wish from a
smoky (gain energy), my AC was at a nice -29. I hadn't found any magic
markers yet, so the only enchant armor scrolls I had were found, and
mostly used on foo proofing my armor.

I spent about 20 minutes mixing up full heal potions. I had a ton of
potions from my explorations and managed to make 31 full heal potions.
This brought my hps up to a very survivable 380.

Ok, now for the quest! I went in unspoiled and blundered my way down
to the last level with the Master Assassin. I couldn't find a secret
door, and so I finally gave in and looked it up. The prevailing
opinion was to poly into a Xorn or something. So I took off my armor,
polymorphed, and walked into a room full of nagas and the master
assassin.

Now, I've killed plenty of nagas but I usually find them when I'm in
full armor, so I didn't know they could stun. My hps dropped from 380
down to 130 or so before I recovered from the stun. Panicked, I
quaffed a full healing potion, got stunned again, and back down to 150
hps. Now, I had all kinds of options at this point.. My most obvious
solution was a teleport scroll. Instead, I did the stupid thing and
tried to kill one of the monsters. Stunned again, and the Master
Assassin had his way with me.

There's something heartbreaking about having a very ascendable
character die so stupidly. Although, I definitely learned a thing or
two about the Rogue quest.

Thanks for reading!

"Christian" <christian.nau@gmail.com> wrote in message news:<1111774985.158179.173700@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>...
> YAStupidFrustratingD
>
> Now, I had all kinds of options at this point.. My most obvious
> solution was a teleport scroll.

Not unless it was a *cursed* teleport scroll. The final quest level is no-teleport.

Artemis the Ranger

"Christian" <christian.nau@gmail.com> wrote in message

> YAStupidFrustratingD

<snip cause my mailreader won't let me post when the quoted text isn't
as much as my text>

> I got all the way down to the maze underneath Medusa due to a series of
> pits and trapdoors. I came back up a few levels and finished off
> Medusa on the way. I hadn't done the quest yet and I was at level 14
> with around 120 hps. I knew I had to fix this before going any deeper
> or trying the quest.
>
> I found Fort Ludios and cleaned it out. It was surprisingly easy at
> -14 AC and 120 Hps. I never had any close calls. 60k zorkmids to a
> priest on level 15 or so and my naked AC was at -1. With partially
> enchanted gear, and a full ascension kit thanks to another wish from a
> smoky (gain energy), my AC was at a nice -29. I hadn't found any magic
> markers yet, so the only enchant armor scrolls I had were found, and
> mostly used on foo proofing my armor.
In my experience The Quest tends to be easier than Fort Ludios as
long as
the quest boss is vulnerable to a wand of death. (Of corse the only
class
I've beaten the quest with is the Barbarian's (three or four times), so
wouldn't know about others)

> I spent about 20 minutes mixing up full heal potions. I had a ton of
> potions from my explorations and managed to make 31 full heal potions.
> This brought my hps up to a very survivable 380.
I've only gotten my HPS above 300 once and then not until I was
about
to enter the elemental planes.

> Ok, now for the quest! I went in unspoiled and blundered my way down
> to the last level with the Master Assassin. I couldn't find a secret
> door, and so I finally gave in and looked it up. The prevailing
> opinion was to poly into a Xorn or something. So I took off my armor,
> polymorphed, and walked into a room full of nagas and the master
> assassin.
>
> Now, I've killed plenty of nagas but I usually find them when I'm in
> full armor, so I didn't know they could stun. My hps dropped from 380
> down to 130 or so before I recovered from the stun. Panicked, I
> quaffed a full healing potion, got stunned again, and back down to 150
> hps. Now, I had all kinds of options at this point.. My most obvious
> solution was a teleport scroll. Instead, I did the stupid thing and
> tried to kill one of the monsters. Stunned again, and the Master
> Assassin had his way with me.
>
> There's something heartbreaking about having a very ascendable
> character die so stupidly. Although, I definitely learned a thing or
> two about the Rogue quest.
Only two days ago I had a Barbarian who had already finished the
quest. I took off my armor just to see what my naked ac was (it was 5),
forgot to put my gloves back on and died tried to sacrifice a
cockatrice.
(stupid stupid me)
Incidently also during that game I got Cleaver and Ogresmasher by
sacrificing, I wanted a better artifact but decided to go ahead and do
the quest anyway and ironically I got Firebrand from an ice troll.
Also, it was the first time I beat the quest without using a
wand of death on Thoth Amon.

> Thanks for reading!
your welcome, thank you for reading this

Asher