Yeah, Thought So. FX5900SE aimed @ R9600XT+HL2

Well <A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=13510" target="_new">The Inquirer states</A> what we've all concluded/been saying, the FX5900SE/XT/LX/EVP/etc. is aimed at the R9600XT, even if it means stomping on the FX5700U.

Some interesting break down as to why it may be a good move (unlike the R9500P move which was a money-losing play for the middle IMO).

Nothing new really, but nice to see a tech site seeing it that way too.

<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=13510" target="_new">http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=13510</A>

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Vimp

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2003
Its a shame not all the XT based cards come with the Call of Duty game though. So far the only ones I know of that do are eVgas SE card and supposedly an XT based card by BFG. Leadtek, Gainward as well as others that sell the XT based card do not include the game.

LOL!

Yeah I saw that too, laughed and thought; WTF?

Reminds me of Pat Buchanan's "Soviet Canuckistan"!

Makes the Author look like he has no creativity though.

But I guess it sounds better than VPUzilla. :wink:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Vimp

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2003
Thats what I have been wondering too Ion. Also do videocards work both upwards and downwards compatible with openGL? If they don't then the 5700 series has an edge over the 5900 series in that aspect alone since it supports OpenGL 1.5. However this is the third time I have brought this up on this forum and I have yet to get a response to it.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Vimp on 01/09/04 00:25 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

I think the OpenGL support is simply a question of supporting the current version at the time. There may be hardwre limitations that keep the FX series from reaching the proposed OGL 2.0 spec, and thefore they are simply saying which version they support (the FX5900 came out before OGL 1.5, therefore the 1.4?). ATI may know what the OGL 2.0 standard holds and therefore already states it's somliant without there even being that version availible to the public yet (perhaps the FXs are equally 'capable') this would benifit developers who may be working on early versions OGL 2.0 stuff. Perhaps the FX exceeds almost every feature in OGL2 except for one, and therefore they can't make the same claims.

Just a thought. I would guess it's something like that.

Vimp

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2003
Well thats an interesting take on it and sounds fairly reasonable but I hope I come to find out what it all means exactly before I purchase my next videocard, whenever that may be.

petrolhead2003

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2003
The new slightly cut down 5900 blows the 5700u,9600xt away on almost all test's.
In some test's it is 50% faster than the xt!!
It's even overclockable to bring it upto standard 5900 and close to 5900u.
How can anyone knock Nvidia for bringing out a card that is better than all other cards at this price?
It's fantastic value for money.
I know,i've just brought one.

How can anyone knock Nvidia for bringing out a card that is better than all other cards at this price?
I don't think anybody is. I think it's a question of, ah-hah they learned from the R9500series, and made it work. The only people who may complain is FX5700U owners and card makers.

All in all it's a brilliant move by nV if it's about the same 'cost' as the other cards (especially FX5700U).

Vimp

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2003
Yeah I wasn't dissing the 5900XT's performance compared to the 5700. Although I have seen a few tests where the 5700 beat the 5900XT and many where they were about the same. However what I was getting at was the newer technology on the 5700 compared to the 5900 series. I was wondering if the 5700 is able to show things or perform better with the latest special effects compared to the 5900 series.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I've been screaming 5900NU for months. Anyone who bought a 5700 is a fool IMO.
I'd have to agree on being a brilliant move, this bundle/XT thing is going to drive the price down a bit and offers a good deal on a game thats one of the best available now.
Gotta enjoy whats out there today, the games are probably as good or better than all this HL2/D3 overhype will turn out. I'll let the gameplay of those games speak for themselves.
I think Doom 3 will be more interesting in that respect.

Regardless, I'm still not sold on much based on the NV30.
NV40 will hopefully bring out full DX9 spec (PS2.0).
Then I'll dish out $350 on a video card I dont need.

----
Yeah, thats right. I support the NV/AMD/IBM axis of evil.

Yeah but remember the XT/SE/LX/EPV is not just a non-ultra, it's their value card. The non-ultra doesn't refer to all non-ultras, just the FX5900. Samantics, but it did make a bit of difference.

Before there were serious price differences between the FX5700U and the FX5900, now they have a product playing in the same starting price range, which makes it seriously tough competition for everything in the middle class. The R9600Pro may escape direct competition, but only due to prices that now skirt the $100 mark.

I think that it's a great time to buy a new middle-market card (so many different possibilities, price ranges, truely sweet).

I personally think HL2 will impress me better (love the physics, and I think Max Payne 2 was just a preview of what good physics models will bring to gaming).

Either way 2004 should offer SOOOOoooo Much! I'm all tingley! :wink:

petrolhead2003

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2003
I brought my 5900lx for half price as a one day special offer,upgraded from a mx440.
So now i can really look forward to playing HL2,Doom III..

For the price of my 5900lx there is simply nothing to touch it,it's not really a cut down version,just slightly slower ram and it's well capable of being clocked up to be on par with a normal 5900.

It's always a piss off if you've just purchased a new card only to find something better for the same money but that's life.

I hope that HL2 lives upto expectation.

The prices of cards in the UK is a joke compared to the US,the rrp of an 5900lx is £199(approx $340),the cheapest i've seen it for is about £150( approx $250).
We really do get ripped off.