[SOLVED] Yellow DRAM LED on Asus Motherboard won’t post

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 4, 2020
Relevant Specs:
Intel Core i7 8700k
Corsair Vengeance LPX 2*8GB 3000MHz
HyperX Fury 2*16GB 3200MHz (i don’t mix the two sets of ram)
Asus Prime z390-A Motherboard
EVGA Supernova 550w G3 80+Gold PSU

Irrelevant Specs:
Zotac GTX 1080 ti
Cooler Master Hyper T2 CPU cooler
256GB SSD
1TB HDD
5T HDD

A bit of backstory: I had to replace my 2 year old motherboard from a MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon to an Asus Prime Z390-A. I think my MSI motherboard got fried(?) because i tried enabling XMP on my HyperX RAM sticks which resulted in a boot loop. When I’d press the power button, It turns on for a split second and turns right off, it does this repeating. I tried everything to fix it and even took it to a computer shop, they told me the motherboard no longer works.

Anyways, after i installed my new asus motherboard and everything else on it, the yellow DRAM LED on the motherboard stays lit and won’t post. I have two sets of ram (Two Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 28GB 3000MHz & two HyperX Fury 216GB 3200MHz) and i’ve tried using one ram stick and placing it on all other slots with all four sticks with no luck. I took the motherboard of the the case for troubleshooting leaving only the ram and cpu on the board. I’ve checked my CPU socket for any bent pins, they all look fine.

Could it be that my asus motherboard is faulty? Or could it be that my old MSI board fried all my sticks? Or could it be that my CPU is the root cause? I’ve checked my PSU’s voltages and i know for a fact it isn’t faulty.

Solution
XMP alone wouldn't have fried the motherboard or ram sticks them selves so something else between setting XMP and to whatever else was done during the time of troubleshooting to visiting the PC shop that must've resulted in the motherboard's unfortunate demise. Clearing cmos at the beginning should have reverted memory to default settings.

Reasons why it boot looped could of been because of faulty/incompatible ram (Bios update may have addressed), incorrect ram placement (must use 2nd and 4th slot from CPU with two sticks) or XMP didn't set the correct dram voltage to 1.35v.

Why or if the motherboard died could have been due to static surge or working on the computer while it still had some power remaining. Always ground yourself and...

TRENDING THREADS