Question Yellow led Light RAM motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450f gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 9, 2018
We tried to build a PC with an ASUS Rog Strix B450F Gaming. Everything seems to work (fans, lights), but we get no display on the screen whatsoever. There is even yellow light burning continuously indicating some RAM issues?

It doesn't blink. The RAM is compatible, which we know for sure. We tried 2 pieces in all the slots in every combination. Hard to believe that the RAM is dead. What on earth could this be? Does the continuously yellow light mean "problems" or does it mean "working fine?"

To summarize: everything is in place. LED light on the RAM is yellow. Nothing on our screen. Heeeeelppp!

Last edited by a moderator:
Page 10 of the owners manual talks about the onboard LEDs. The yellow one is for RAM. "If an error is found, the corresponding LED remains lit."

So, what could be the issue? You say the RAM is compatible, but don't list what RAM you have. Is it on the supported RAM list? Could one stick be dead ... sure, it happens ... not often, but sometimes. It could also be a motherboard issue. Try 1 stick in slot A2. If that does not work, try the other (i'm assuming you have 2) in slot A2.

Let us know.

Dec 9, 2018

You didn't mention which Ryzen you have, but here is the list for 1st generation (Summit Ridge ... 1700x, 1600x, etc)

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/ROG_STRIX_B450_F_GAMING/Memory-QVL-For-Ryzen-1st-Gen-Processors.pdf

and for 2nd generation (Pinnacle Ridge ... 2600X, 2700X, etc and Raven Ridge ... 2200g, 2400g, etc)

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/ROG_STRIX_B450_F_GAMING/Memory-QVL-For-AMD-Ryzen-2000-Series-Processors.pdf

The Vengeance lineup is great, but not all sets are compatible ... look closely at the part numbers.

Also, I am pointing a lot of fingers at compatible memory because Ryzen has a history of being picky about RAM, but normally it will still boot and then just blue screen after 10 minutes. This could be an issue with the motherboard or even the CPU (the memory controller is built into the CPU).

Dec 9, 2018
Thnx so far. I have a Ryzen 5 2600. When I check your QVL (2nd gen), I only see RAM with frequencie 3200 Mhz or more. Ryzen 5 2600 works at 2933 Mhz as stated in the specs. Why are all the RAM from the QVL for the 2nd generation all at least 3200 Mhz? RAM below 3200 does not work with this Ryzen?

When I pull up that link I get 21 pages. Only first page and a half have RAM at 3200 MHz or more. When running memory at speeds above 2933, you do so by overclocking a bit. It normally works.

Edit ** Again, while getting compatible memory is important, even with the most incompatible memory I would expect the computer to start and then crash after 10 minutes. This smells more like something wrong with the motherboard, something wrong with the CPU, or something installed incorrectly.

Dec 9, 2018
The Ram we use is from the QVL. To rule out our RAM being corrupt, we installed exact same RAM from a friend. Yet: no results. The yellow light continues the be yellow. So: motherboard or CPU? We are lost now.... anyway, how we can test the motherboard, to rule that out?

I would lean toward a problem with the motherboard, but the memory controller is on the CPU, so that is still a possibility.

Testing a CPU or motherboard generally involved sticking the CPU in another board (known working is nice). If it works, then board had an issue. If it doesn't then it is likely the CPU that has a problem.

Dec 9, 2018
Well... we are gonna try to rule out the CPU as the cause. This might take some time, but we will keep you posted! Thanks so far, 'anotherdrew'!

Dec 9, 2018

Hi

No, we didn't solve it. I hope you what we have ruled out, so our only options are that the mobo is not working correctly or the cpu. We will contact the supplier of the mobo soon, to see if he wants to replace it for a new one, or else that he can test the mobo for correct working. Most people say it is likely that the mobo is the problem.
if you get to solve it... let us know, we are quite desperate!

Dec 9, 2018
Well... join the club. Let's keep eachother posted about this issue. Tomorrow I will do a final last check on how te PC was put together by my son, and after that, we will return the mobo to the supplier.

Jan 3, 2019
Yeah, I was really excited about having this up and running as my job doesn't start until Feb 4th so I had a month off to do whatever. This is my first build, but my friend said there may be an issue with the CPU talking to the motherboard as he described it. He even found out that AMD has a program for loaner chip where you can update bios then put your AMD chip back in. This was the link https://www.techspot.com/news/73334-amd-give-ryzen-apu-customers-free-processor-help.html?fbclid=IwAR29m2Rc42DexHYBWjDKkqOix9RK_mz9aA7HoLi8eTQzfthc1-efsIlmL4g

Again, not sure if this is a solution, but just another avenue to go down. Good luck.

Which motherboard are you using? I would be happy to check if that is a potential issue.

Jan 23, 2019
Had the same problem. Talked to customer support with ASUS. Apparently the Ryzen does not support on board graphics. I had a 1070ti plugged in but was under the impression that I would need to download drivers before I could use it. I had to plug my HDMI straight into the 1070ti and everything worked.

Apr 20, 2018
I used to never have this issue but it recently started popping up, like last week or something. I am running the ASUS B450 F, Ryzen 7 2700x, G. Skill Trident Z RGB clocked at 3200mhz and a RTX 2080Ti. I have no idea what the issue is but my pc will sometimes just randomly freeze and the only way to turn it off is to unplug the power from the wall socket or turn the power supply off with the button on the back. The only reason it is happening I can think of might be a BIOS or AMD Driver update. It's a while ago I updated my BIOS but the AMD Driver update came round a couple weeks back. If anyone finds the specific issue, I too would like to be kept up to date

Status
Not open for further replies.