Question Yellow led on Asus Tuf B550 Gaming Plus with Quad-channel RAM ?

Doc Computeur

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2014
Hi
I just changed my old Asus B450 tuf gaming with an Asus B550 tuf gaming.
The problem is The motherboard shows a Yellow led light when all 4 RAM slots are populated.

The RAM sticks were bought in 2 same packs but at 2 différent times.
ram : F4-3200C16D-16GVKB. (2x8Go G-Skill) (in the motherboard QVL )
If somebody can help
thank you
(And sorry for my poor english)

No issue when only 1 ,2 or 3 slots are populated.
All sticks works & the CPU pins are clean

Hi
I just changed my old
Asus B450 tuf gaming
with an
Asus B550 tuf gaming
The problem is
The moderboard do a Yellow led light when the 4 stick slots are full
The memory sticks are bouge in 2 same packs on 2 différent time
ram : F4-3200C16D-16GVKB. (2x8Go G-Skill) (in the motherboard QVL )
If somebody can help
thank you
(And sorry for my poor english)

No issue with 1 ,2 or 3 slots
All sticks works & the CPU pins are clean

First to realize is that Ryzen CPU's do not have quad channel memory only dual channel. The first channel connects to the first two DIMM sockets in parallel, the 2nd to the 2nd two.

Second is that paralleling two sticks of memory on one channel is heavily loading the memory controller in the CPU. That makes even slight differences in performance harder to compensate and therefore more difficult to train at higher clocks. It might work on one board and not another simply because the layout of traces from CPU to sockets is different.

And the fact you don't have 2, 2 stick kits and not a single 4 stick kit doesn't help. The mfr will match the sticks closely so they're more likely to train in a setup such as yours.

So you could isolate a problem by using each memory stick one at a time in each channel's sockets. That's to prove DIMM's, motherboard and CPU are all working properly.

If all the DIMM's work singly in any channel, each socket you can then try each DIMM, 2 at a time in each channel to see if it's specific combinations that don't work. It makes sense that channel two will be the hardest to train since it's sockets are furthest from the CPU and therefore experiences the highest losses.

If all 4 sticks work properly alone in each socket yet you simply can't find a combination that works you'll have to lower memory clocks to find stability with 2 sticks in each channel.

You might also increase DIMM voltage in your BIOS. It's perfectly safe to go as high as 1.5V for short periods but for 24/7 operation I'd try to not run higher than 1.4-1.45V. Some DIMM's can run even higher than 1.5V but they are usually those with Samsung B die RAM chips and with a CAS timing of 16 your DIMM's don't likely use them.

And be sure to reset CMOS after every failed boot and after changing memory configuration. It may not always be necessary but it's easy to do and helps by forcing the CPU to train memory at boot up.

If you find stability at a lower memory clock speed then you can use that as a base clock to start overclocking your memory.

And lastly: what CPU are you using? Only Ryzen 3000 and 5000 CPU's are rated for 3200 memory speed but that's for one DIMM in each channel. When using 2 DIMM's in each channel many motherboards lower the maximum clock ratings to 2600, 2400 or even 2133 speeds.

Last edited:

Doc Computeur

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2014
Hi and thanks for all you explain
To do test I use a Ryzen 3600 because I had issue with the 5800x
As I writed with the 3600 only 2 dim works
00 with the 5800x
I'm tired with this motherboard I send it back to after-sales service

I'm tired with this motherboard I send it back to after-sales service
It probably needs a BIOS update to operate with the 5800X. You have a 3600 CPU to do it with, but you can also use the BIOS flashback feature.

Unless you're seeing more problems I'd suggest selling your 2, 2 stick kits and buying a proper 4 stick kit. Or better yet, one 2 stick 32Gb kit (2x16Gb). One stick per channel is simply going to work best.

Doc Computeur

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2014
It probably needs a BIOS update to operate with the 5800X. You have a 3600 CPU to do it with, but you can also use the BIOS flashback feature.

Unless you're seeing more problems I'd suggest selling your 2, 2 stick kits and buying a proper 4 stick kit. Or better yet, one 2 stick 32Gb kit (2x16Gb). One stick per channel is simply going to work best.
updated already did
then downgrade to the previous version (in case it gets better) no one works with the 5800x
flash of the eprom battery between the two with the 5800x 1 ram = 1 orange led
this is my second tube of thermal paste 4 grams that I start. I let the store take care of that, I want a plug & play card