[SOLVED] Yellow sparks on GPU :((

Mar 26, 2021
pnvQtI1bj
pm6IjCgzj
This is my 6 years old MSI GTX 970, last night there’s a yellow sparks came out from my CPU. A slight second before that, my PC suddenly turns off on its own, I guess thats an automatic safety measure (?)

Then came the yellow sparks. I plugged everything off, and open my case, unplug my GPU, and try to turn on my PC with onboard GPU, while I inspect my 970. PC still alive.

and here’s my GPU, I guess the capacitor blown and the insides burn everything around it (?)

I guess I’m toasted? Is there any workaround?

Solution
You will need to replace it. Either the entire GPU, which is the only guaranteed option, or you may be able to attempt to fix it. Some people have had success with replacing broken capacitors, and such, on a bad GPU. This requires a lot of effort, skill, and the right tools to do, and is far from guaranteed to work, but it is an option for some. Yours might be unfixable however, because it looks like the capacitor damaged the entire surrounding area, which might include the base PCB as well. If that is the case, the only option is to replace the GPU.

Prominent
Sep 15, 2020
Sorry but your GPU is bad. You will need a new GPU, but don't attempt to connect the GPU back!!. Sparks can happen again, or even worse, smoke or fire can happen, good that your computer had shut down, if it didn't, your motherboard or entire system can be damaged by the possible smoke or fire possibly by the GPU. So basically it broke sadly.

You will need to replace it. Either the entire GPU, which is the only guaranteed option, or you may be able to attempt to fix it. Some people have had success with replacing broken capacitors, and such, on a bad GPU. This requires a lot of effort, skill, and the right tools to do, and is far from guaranteed to work, but it is an option for some. Yours might be unfixable however, because it looks like the capacitor damaged the entire surrounding area, which might include the base PCB as well. If that is the case, the only option is to replace the GPU.

Solution
Mar 26, 2021
Thanks a lot for the replies, Guys. Pretty sure the GPU is toasted now. The PC is still alive (for now) with onboard graphic processor, which is just okay for office work.

of all the many years it might be broken, my GPU chose to completely broke during a very shortage of GPU in the market :’)

TRENDING THREADS