Aug 25, 2006
What do you guys think?

yycube3.jpg

yycube35.jpg

yycube36.jpg

http://www.modthebox.com/review241_1.shtml

G

Thats is a pretty cool idea!

The interior does look like a big sturdy server though, not a PC hehe!

randomcow

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
I'm not sure what you're asking but I have that case and I love it. I recommend it to anyone needing space and/or building a home server.

Synthetickiller

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
I'm not sure what you're asking but I have that case and I love it. I recommend it to anyone needing space and/or building a home server.

I'm just trying to get opinions on this case.

I'm just looking for a good case to build a new computer in whenever I do build one. I came across this and thought it was bad ass. Glad to see someone who actually owns it.

Is it a fairly quiet case and how many HDDs can you fit in there?

randomcow

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
I would say this case is badass. Its built like a tank with almost the entire thing in 1.2mm thick steel. Haven't seen too many cases that use 1.2mm steel...of course this means you pretty much cannot carry it around though.

The photos pretty much show you but you get five racks, four in the back, one in the front that each hold two 3.5 inch drives. They are all removable.

Note that you can still mount HDDs in the back with the 92mm case fans installed and it provides good cooling but this makes the HDDs extend out more and may conflict with long 5.25 inch bay devices.
Also you may not want to mount the lower most HDD rack if you have a power supply (like the one in the picture) which has a fan on the bottom. The rack will restrict airflow to this fan.

In my opinion a realistic number of drives that can be fit in this case without sqeezing too much is 8 hard drives (or 7 with a floppy) and two optical drives with both 92mm rear exhaust fans installed. If you have a PSU without a bottom mounted fan you can safely install two more hard drives.
If you want more 5 inch bay devices you may need to drop some HDDs or not use the rear fans (although I don't think dropping the fans is good idea).

Another point to watch out for:
If you use three or more IDE and/or floppy cables (round or not) you will start to have problems routing cables through the small hole in the middle. The useable size of the hole to pass through cables becomes *very* small after installing an ATX or larger motherboard. I imagine that with an ATX mobo installing 6-8 IDE HDDs will be very hard. If you have long cables though you can pass some over the top.
If you use SATA you will have little to no problems. I use an EATX board am still able to fit six SATA cables through the middle hole with room for more.

This case is reasonably quiet in my opinion. How quiet is quiet for you?

Synthetickiller

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
This is what my case looks like: (warning, its big)

2ihtk0o.jpg

3zc2oua.jpg

2ufvhqp.jpg

29qcuv5.jpg

My case has 9 fans, 2 of them from liquid cooling (ICM 505 liquid cooling units), a 10th if you inclue a PCI slot fan, and 12 if you inclue the 2 on my PSU.

With the sides on, I can hear it, but no more so than a room fan set on a LOW setting. Its QUIET compared to most cases w/t this many fans.

I'm more curious to see if the case rattles a lot with the harddrives in it or if you can hear "wind" from air being sucked into the case (through vents) is all I'm concerned about. The rest is my own doing in terms of audible noise.

ALSO: if anyone knows the name of this case, I'd be pleased to know. After I ordered it, i ripped the box up and don't remember the name. :lol:

SpencerL

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
So the YY might just be the ideal case for someone with 10 or so SATA drives looking to build a new QuadFX system from AMD by the looks of it =)