News Yes, Intel's Feeble Arc A380 GPU Can Run Crysis

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I might buy an ARC just to toy around with it. I'll probably wait for the 7-series to land.

I'm equally interested in its graphics and compute prowess. I think Intel is further along on the compute side, but we'll find out soon enough.

Reactions: purple_dragon
Apr 1, 2020
Crysis 10th Anniversary 1080p Benchmark Results (tomshardware.com)

ouxEAfVKKHSjRWb9HQ9gtF.png

That would mean it has about the power of the HD 7970, which isn't exactly a bad level of performance.

Reactions: bit_user
Apr 1, 2020
That's an 11 year old card...

Yes, with about the power of the modern RX 6400 based on processing power, a card AMD's AIBs sell for $150, and remember this is Intel's entry level card, so the comparison is valid.

So yes, it's not bad for a company who is no doubt giving their graphics division an unlimited budget and ending up with drivers worse than AMD (didn't think that was possible), and helmed by Raja Koduri.

Apr 1, 2020
Any time now, yep, millions of 'em.

While I doubt they will get them out this year, if Intel enters the graphics market with the same bullish attitude as they did with Alder Lake, and they have the performance for at least the mainstream (1080p120 max details), I think us consumers could finally start winning again with GPU competition the same way we are doing with CPU competition.

Zarax

Reputable
Apr 30, 2020
I found a good guess about ARC performance by replacing ARC with RX.
Imagine an alternare world where AMD kept going with GCN and Polaris and simply used smaller nodes with RT tacked on, ARC 380 does perform a lot like a RX380...

Regardless of the specs and the elitism of some users - if it's medium-powerful and breaks up the duopoly, we should be cheering this on. More meaningful competition means more realistic pricing. If the lowest card with naff drivers can run to the level it has, this is promising. Even if you never buy one, this could still be an incredilbly important moment for GPU pricing for the next 10 years.

Reactions: bit_user and jp7189

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Regardless of the specs and the elitism of some users - if it's medium-powerful and breaks up the duopoly, we should be cheering this on. More meaningful competition means more realistic pricing. If the lowest card with naff drivers can run to the level it has, this is promising. Even if you never buy one, this could still be an incredilbly important moment for GPU pricing for the next 10 years.
Just wait 'till Chinese GPUs start hitting Western markets. That's really going to crater GPU pricing.

It'll probably be a couple more years, though.