Yesterday Was Not A Good Day For Rocksteady And Warner Bros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is similar to Batman Arkham City, which people now praise as being the best one, but it had a lot of performance issues at launch.

That said, this shouldn't have had them. They are using the same engine so it should have been pretty easy to get optimized. I really think game devs need to start developing the game for PC then port the game with medium-high settings to the consoles. That way they can avoid a lot more issues.

I have been playing the game so far trouble free on a HD7970GHz. I did have to tweak the .ini files a bit and also forced some settings in CCC (I actually was also able to add in 2xEQ MSAA in it) and according to the Gaming Evolved application I had an average FPS of 51 after playing for 3-4 hours last night which is fine fore me, although I think it should be better.

I am glad they are trying to do the right thing but people also tend to vastly over react. When the Witcher 3 was launched, it had some performance issues and people yelled "PORT!!!!". Now that the dust has settled and there has been patches/driver updates people wont stop praising the Witcher 3 (not that they shouldn't). I am sure the same thing will happen for Batman AK. I wont spoil it but the story so far is pretty damn good and they are referencing sooo many good Batman story lines. As well they got one of my all time favorite voice actors to reprise his role which alone saves the game for me.

Have you seen the promotional video for the game on Nvidia's own Youtube channel? Uploaded 3 days ago... its near the videos where nvidia wants to put their hardware and software in real automobiles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7dAXDVrHzw

There's just no way they can hold their heads high when developers are talking about how closely they worked with nvidia to bring such great performance and features to PC.

red77star

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
Another proof that consoles are cancer for gaming industry as some companies opt for porting those games to PC. However, as consoles are less and less relevant and pretty much struggle as far as game sales goes compared to PC...the things will get much better.

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
I personally think it's a good thing they pulled it off of Steam for now until all the problems have been fixed. Mortal Kombat X is another example that should have been done this way as there have been over 50 gigs of patches and the game still doesn't work right.

People are getting sick of being companies beta testers. It is leading to people having to pirate games just so they can pre-test a game to see if it runs on their hardware or not. Steam's refund policy is at least helping to correct that.

I personally think it's a good thing they pulled it off of Steam for now until all the problems have been fixed. Mortal Kombat X is another example that should have been done this way as there have been over 50 gigs of patches and the game still doesn't work right.

People are getting sick of being companies beta testers. It is leading to people having to pirate games just so they can pre-test a game to see if it runs on their hardware or not. Steam's refund policy is at least helping to correct that.

I agree with you, but be wary of Steam's refund policy. At this rate, we could need for it every release. At some point, we'd just be labeled as abusers of the system.

Why hasn't some politician latched onto the gaming community? We make up part of a multi-billion dollar industry. That's a lot of voters and supporters abroad. Oh yeah, they'd be a laughing stock amongst their peers, so nah, nevermind.

tomc100

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
What did they think was going to happen after Rocksteady pocketed Nvidia's moneyworks and outsourced the port to a third party consisting of 12 programmers for a AAA game? They didn't even bother testing it. If they did they would have noticed the frame lock at 30 fps. The only way Rocksteady and WB can ever inspire confidence in any future pc game would be for them to start from scratch and port it correctly with hi-res 4K textures and full dx11 effects. Also, people who preordered it should get full season pass for free.

Rocksteady should have done what Rockstar did with GTA V and delay the PC version a few months to get the game working properly instead of rushing out an incomplete project only to be faced with refunds and bad reviews. Rockstar learned from their mistakes with the crappy GTA IV port and all developers need to follow their example. Delays are a bummer, but the trade-off is a properly ported game with fewer bugs and less consumer headaches, leading to more satisfied customers, less burnups, and increased sales.

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

It is one of the reasons, whether you believe it or not. There are those that do it to be cheap, but there are those that don't want to get screwed on a new release. I bet a lot of AMD owners that purchased Project Cars wished they had pirated first when it came out.

Btw, anyone remember the day when shareware and demos were the norm? To me, it seemed like there was a lot less release disasters during that time. Maybe companies should start considering going back to that model since customers will at least be able to test a game out before making a purchase.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Why retract? There is more EVIDENCE that there was a major Comcast screw up, then not. Let THEM prove to you that your article was wrong by REPLYING to it with facts regarding their network. If they can't/won't do that. the article flies. As a consumer, I would rather KNOW when something is possibly going wrong than trust a historically self serving company self report the problem. You can't and shouldn't always wait for people who are only concerned with their self interest to inform you of something going wrong. If you are proved wrong - retract, otherwise, let it roll.

What did they think was going to happen after Rocksteady pocketed Nvidia's moneyworks and outsourced the port to a third party consisting of 12 programmers for a AAA game? They didn't even bother testing it. If they did they would have noticed the frame lock at 30 fps. The only way Rocksteady and WB can ever inspire confidence in any future pc game would be for them to start from scratch and port it correctly with hi-res 4K textures and full dx11 effects. Also, people who preordered it should get full season pass for free.

They should? Why reward stupidity? The pre-order population carries as much blame as the publishers who release half-baked product, in my humble opinion.

If people stopped pre-ordering, we might once again have pre-release independent reviews instead of the NDA/embargo "say nothing of the product until units are flying off shelves" system we have now.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008

This comment was attached to the wrong article. But it's not the commenter's fault...

This happens when we're scrolling down TH news articles to the comments section. Suddenly, the page is no longer that of the original article, but the article that follows it. Watch the top of the browser tab as you scroll. When the new article begins, the page name will change. It's a system solely designed to take advantage of users and promote (dare I say inflate?) page views.

I suggest commenting on ALL articles via the Forum.

Larry Litmanen

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
What did they think was going to happen after Rocksteady pocketed Nvidia's moneyworks and outsourced the port to a third party consisting of 12 programmers for a AAA game? They didn't even bother testing it.

Is that different from what other companies do in the industry?

You can get 60FPS by changing the cap in the ini file. The textures do look better but I listened to the audio and it sounds just like when I play the game, although I did see a part that looked like it was sped up shortly then back to normal speed.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
If there is one thing i've learned in life it's this.

Decisions that Should be made (moral, just, fair) rarely happen. It's always mistake 1st, then learn from it. it basicly comes down to greed.

Greed to not wanna spend money on a proper solution,

It's only when shite hits the fan and things get real bad, then the right decision is made.

I wish we could learn from other peoples mistakes instead of having to learn them the hard way..

This philosophy can be applied to virtually every thing in life. Politics, Gaming Companies, Record Companies, Telecom company's, Cable companies etc...

Cable companies thought they could keep taking away fairness, one little chunk at a time (throttling, not upgrading to meet capacity, over selling, not expanding into new areas in their region, paid prioritization, etc.. (aka greed to save or make money)

WB and Rocksteady thought they could get away with a minimal development team for PC, cap 30 fps, leave out occlusion, make consoles look better vs pc. (aka greed via not spending the money on a proper team with proper time limitations)

Healthcare thought they could keep charging $1800 lab drug test, $1000 MRI scan, $10 each pills, $1000 xray, $4500 night hospital stays and thus obamacare happened. (greed)

those are just a few examples, but you guys catch my drift.. Things always have to get so stupidly bad, before anyone will do the right thing.

PaulBags

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2015
Why retract? There is more EVIDENCE that there was a major Comcast screw up, then not. Let THEM prove to you that your article was wrong by REPLYING to it with facts regarding their network. If they can't/won't do that. the article flies. As a consumer, I would rather KNOW when something is possibly going wrong than trust a historically self serving company self report the problem. You can't and shouldn't always wait for people who are only concerned with their self interest to inform you of something going wrong. If you are proved wrong - retract, otherwise, let it roll.

This comment was attached to the wrong article. But it's not the commenter's fault...

This happens when we're scrolling down TH news articles to the comments section. Suddenly, the page is no longer that of the original article, but the article that follows it. Watch the top of the browser tab as you scroll. When the new article begins, the page name will change. It's a system solely designed to take advantage of users and promote (dare I say inflate?) page views.

I suggest commenting on ALL articles via the Forum.
It also makes it damn annoying to get back to 'articles', espically on mobile with no drop down history & multiple part page loads chewing up my bandwidth. If I stay in mobile mode it doesn't happen, but the voting & quoting doesn't work...

Either way I totally agree with the OP. And if they had posted to the right article it probably would have been deleted by now...

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

NVIDIA Gameworks: Lets overkill with Tesselation to hurt the competition and force upgrades of last gen cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.